Author Topic: Still getting some ground texture bleed thru  (Read 49686 times)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Re: Still getting some ground texture bleed thru
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 04:41:22 am »
Umberto, I did some more testing and found out where the after market mesh I own resides. Its in the FSX/Scenery/0202 folder and was called FSGdem0202_us_011010.bgl. I removed it and re-enabled your mesh file and still no good, more texture bleeding like at first. So I renamed your mesh.bgl to .bak and tried again. This time was better and most of the bleed was gone except for one tiny spot on the southeast corner of the airport. The bleeding on the north side by UPS and the north parking was gone as well, however if I try to taxi by terminal A or B, I end up 1/2 way under the ground scenery,so that wont work.

I guess I will just have to wait until you can make a new mesh or something.

Would it be possible to just make 2 flatten.bgl's one for each side of the airport using the freeway that runs thru the middle as a divider? This way the whole airport will be prefectly flat and with no bleeds or bumps?

petsumnets

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 06:32:44 am »
So, if I understood correctly, you have flickering only when using Top-down view OR DBD Walk and Follow, but the normal in-cockpit views and the Spot plane external views are ok ?

For so far, yes.

Eventhough, from outside the cockpit, there is still some kind of flickering, but not to be compared to the intensity of the DBD walk and follow navigation around the area. Out of the cockpit it seems more like a flickering shadow, especially over the grass fields around the runways.

Indeed, the top down-view, is terribly flickering all over the place, the higer in altitude, the worse it becomes.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 06:45:08 am »
Its in the FSX/Scenery/0202 folder and was called FSGdem0202_us_011010.bgl. I removed it and re-enabled your mesh file and still no good, more texture bleeding like at first. So I renamed your mesh.bgl to .bak and tried again. This time was better and most of the bleed was gone except for one tiny spot on the southeast corner of the airport.

Ok, this confirms your problem was related to a mesh. Do you know, what meters/pixel resolution the FSGdem0202_us_011010.bgl mesh is ?

I guess I will just have to wait until you can make a new mesh or something.

Probably yes. Another test: could you try to set your Mesh complexity slider ALL THE WAY to the right ? With our mesh enabled or disabled, and see any differences ?

Would it be possible to just make 2 flatten.bgl's one for each side of the airport using the freeway that runs thru the middle as a divider?

We'll try that.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 06:48:40 am »
Eventhough, from outside the cockpit, there is still some kind of flickering, but not to be compared to the intensity of the DBD walk and follow navigation around the area. Out of the cockpit it seems more like a flickering shadow, especially over the grass fields around the runways.

Alright, can you please try to update the Addon Manager (just run the scenery installer again, it will get the updated version automatically), and see if it improves the regular views in/out cockpit ?

Don't mind the DBS camera and the Top-down view for the moment, just check the normal views with the updated version, and see if you have an improvement. If this improves the flickering, we will deal the far away cameras separately with another update.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 09:55:14 am »
Ok, this confirms your problem was related to a mesh. Do you know, what meters/pixel resolution the FSGdem0202_us_011010.bgl mesh is ?

The website says is 9.6m, so basically 10m.

Probably yes. Another test: could you try to set your Mesh complexity slider ALL THE WAY to the right ? With our mesh enabled or disabled, and see any differences ?

Ok, I will give it a shot now with your mesh enabled and disabled and note the difference and report back..

Thanks again.

Sean

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 12:06:50 pm »

Umberto I just finished the tests and here are the results.

1st Test with FSDT Mesh.bgl installed

Mesh Complexity 100
Mesh Resolution 10m

Results: Really bad texture bleed thru the whole airport, mostly on runways on the western side (18L/R), the UPS area, the north entrance area, middle of the runways on the eastside (17L/C/R) and Delta Hanger area, south entrance.

2nd Test with FSDT Mesh.bgl removed from scenery folder

Mesh Complexity 100
Mesh Resolution 10m

Results: Much better with very minimal texture bleed, however there are some of the grassy areas in between the taxiways and other areas that kind of flash a little bit. Almost like the underlying ground textures want to come thru, but never make it so they just highlight themselves a little bit. Also this setting seemed to have cleared up the FSDT Van and Tug that drive around Terminal D. Prior to this setting the van and the tug would drive around half way under the ground texture.

A few other observations on Mesh Complexity 100 and Mesh Res 10m. There seems to be a few slight drop off points near the north side of Terminal A and B. In this same area it seems the some of the taxiway lines are not matched up exactly and there is a slight line that extends from the same point at Terminal B east to Terminal A. I also found a seam of bleed thru by runway 36R. I attached a few pics of these areas for you to take a look at but the 2nd test seems to be the best setting yet with only a few minor bleeds and flashes.

BTW, there are some funny things going on with the PAPI's on 36L/R and 35L/C/R where the lights dont seem to jive with the approach and sometime rather than showing white/white/red/red will be red/red/white/red and other combinations. I haven't noticed this on the runways facing south, just the ones facing north. I will start another thread on this later so as to keep to one item at a time since the bleeding is more of a concern to me at the moment.

Anyways, I hope these tested helped. I will probably try a few more with different a/c just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. If it was a fluke and other a/c give different results I will post back, but that shouldn't make any difference.

I will probably be going to be soon since its 5am here in Dallas, so if you need more info I will be back in a few hours. Let me know however if you want me to test any new mesh or flattens.

Regards,

Sean

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:08:25 pm by cmpbllsjc »

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 01:12:04 pm »
I just did a few more post test fly arounds and had a weird occurence.

In the tests I posted above I was using the RealAir SF260 to conduct the tests.

After I did the write up I started FSX again and without making any changes tried a new plane, this time the Lionheart Quest Kodiak. I loaded a new flight at KDFW and the texture bleeding started again mostly in the same areas I documented previously. Then I quit the flight and started a new one with the RealAir SF260 and the bleeding continued in the problem areas again.

Then I closed FSX completely and started FSX again. This time I started out with the RealAir SF260 with a flight at DFW. I was getting the bleeding again but not as bad as in the last session. This was still with the FSDT mesh.bgl removed from its folder and Mesh Complexity at 100 and Mesh Res at 10m. So frankly beside the mesh issue which I still believe is valid because some areas bleed more than others, I wonder if it could also be a shader issue as well since the scenery seems to cooperate with one a/c better than another? Not sure if taking the specular textures would have any effect so I will wait and see what you have to say.

All in all I think your diagnosis of the mesh is most likely the cause since different settings and mesh combinations can cause the vehicles to sink in the ground, plus the fact that all the FSDT sceneries I own act the same no matter which a/c I start with.

Regards

petsumnets

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 09:33:37 pm »
Alright, can you please try to update the Addon Manager (just run the scenery installer again, it will get the updated version automatically), and see if it improves the regular views in/out cockpit ?

Don't mind the DBS camera and the Top-down view for the moment, just check the normal views with the updated version, and see if you have an improvement. If this improves the flickering, we will deal the far away cameras separately with another update.

I ran the installer again and can t see a difference between before and after. Both are good. The moment I change to top-down view or switch to the walk and follow camera, the flickering textures break through badly again.

FlyAAJets

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 11:25:41 pm »
I found a mesh type problem on 17C. In game it is set to 10m and stripped down to this as the only add-on scenery also. I was wondering why I bounced twice.  :D Seeing the same over by FedEx too.

Great work guys, no fps hit on my rig !!!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:27:16 pm by FlyAAJets »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 11:39:35 pm »
BTW, there are some funny things going on with the PAPI's on 36L/R and 35L/C/R where the lights dont seem to jive with the approach and sometime rather than showing white/white/red/red will be red/red/white/red and other combinations.

Unlikely as it might sound, this might be the most revealing hint.

I would like you  trying something entirely different: leave everyting as we suggest to use, which means Mesh density at 10 m, and keep the mesh.bgl active.

BUT:

1) Go through your

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\DLL.XML

and set

<Disabled>True</True>

for EVERY other module you have there, EXCEPT (of course) our Addon Manager (bglmanx.dll)

2) Do the same for your EXE.XML in the same folder, disable every 3rd party module you might have there, EXCEPT for our own Couatl.exe

Now, try KDFW, with a default airplane, and check if you see any difference/improvement.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 01:45:00 am »
OK I will give it a try.

Doesn't the actual >dll.xml< entry in the xml file still need to still be set to false, as well as the >exe.xml< entry in that xml file?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 01:48:09 am »
No, change only the <Disabled> sections.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 01:49:23 am »
No, change only the <Disabled> sections.

OK I will try now and report back.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 02:13:43 am »
Ok, I did what you said exactly and took 3 screen shots below. 2 are of the dll.xml and 1 is the exe.xml. I couldn't fit all the contents of the dll.xml into one shot.

Anyway, I put the FSDT Mesh back in the folder and started FSX. Created a flight at KDFW and when it loaded all I had was the FSDT Jetways and the underlying MegaScenery Dallas photo scenery. This is with Couatl and bglmanx still set to False.

What should I try now? BTW, I took a screen shot of that also if you want to see.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:52 am »
You have set <disabled>true also to the main xml section, which I said not to do it, when you asked it.

You need to disable ONLY the addons sections, not the main xml section, otherwise you are excluding the *whole* xml file which means, nothing will be loaded, even if its <disable> flag is set to false.