Author Topic: Coutl64_boot.log - Restarting coutl64_msfs each 5 secods  (Read 197 times)

FerrevmVnion

Coutl64_boot.log - Restarting coutl64_msfs each 5 secods
« on: March 28, 2024, 12:21:25 pm »
Hi,

any idea what was going on there ? never saw this log file before .... but gsx behaves strange since the last update so this logfile would make sense but i have no idea what happens there

But, the problem is.... when running GSX and i want to go back to the menu... msfs will CTD ... there must something went wrong with the last update... you may deny it, but.... when gsx is not running i can exit to the menu, with gsx running i cant.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 01:14:27 pm by FerrevmVnion »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Coutl64_boot.log - Restarting coutl64_msfs each 5 secods
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 01:34:04 pm »
You are confusing the cause with the effect. GSX cannot crash the sim but, the sim crashing for other reason CAN crash the Couatl engine, which is what is happening.

Also, according to your log, you had the Notepad open at some time, which stops the booter from restarting, obviously intentionally, because it assumes you might have some error message, which will open the Notepad, so it doesn't restart it to allow you reading the error log (which would be overwritten otherwise, if it tried to restart while you were looking at the log) so, it would have been best if you posted the error log as well. Assuming the Notepad was open to see the couatl error log and not, instead, the booter error log.

A thing that might affect restarts is the Windows 8 Compatibility flag, which some users swear it improved stability for them, but it's not what I found, and it seems to be confirmed here:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,31392.msg200193.html#msg200193

If you run the latest update, it will turn it off automatically so, try to see if with Windows 8 Compatibility flag, it restarts less, as reported there.

FerrevmVnion

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 02:28:03 pm »
I dont have Notpad open.... the last time i looked into the logs was long time ago... so, i dont know....

And, i know you are convinced gsx cant crash the sim. i just can tell since your last update: when leaving a flight, exiting to the main menu: CTD when GSX is running; when gsx is not running, it works fine.
AND IT started since the last update....

i think your last version fixed the issue which was introduced by removing the win 8 flag on the version before.

So please, just try to help .... since the update and the one before is something not "right". ... at my side ... before the last update; i had to set the flag and everything was fine; or before... it crashed mid flight ... ok , but now i cant leave msfs without getting ctd.... and there is a piece of software which complains about a open notepad?! sometimes i open a .txt file while the msfs is running.. happens and cant "hurt" anything... its notepad !

so: any chance to downgrade to the version before
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 02:37:29 pm by FerrevmVnion »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 05:05:13 pm »
I dont have Notpad open.... the last time i looked into the logs was long time ago... so, i dont know....

Yes, you had the Notepad open, as the booter log you posted indicates.

And, i know you are convinced gsx cant crash the sim

It's not that I'm "convinced", it's just not possible. An external .EXE cannot crash the sim, unless it does something extremely specific like trying to get access in memory, which NONE of our software tries to do and it's not something an app can do "by mistake": you need to set up speecific Windows API calls and use them in a very specific way in your code. We don't do any of that.

There are other add-ons that access the MSFS memory space (like the AutoFPS utility), but not the Couatl engine.

i just can tell since your last update: when leaving a flight, exiting to the main menu: CTD when GSX is running; when gsx is not running, it works fine. AND IT started since the last update....

Of course nobody reported it, at most users reports the program restarting. As I've said, the real cause is MSFS crashing and MAKING GSX crash in the process.

i think your last version fixed the issue which was introduced by removing the win 8 flag on the version before.

The last online version removed the Windows 8 Compatibility flag instead. No, it's not indicated in the release notes, which are outdated as far this info is concerned.

and there is a piece of software which complains about a open notepad?! sometimes i open a .txt file while the msfs is running.. happens and cant "hurt" anything... its notepad !

The software is not "complaining" about Notepad: it just TEMPORARILY disables the restarting feature as long Notepad is open. And that is made precisely to let you read the error log, which would otherwise lost by the restart. Nothing "bad" happens and there's no "complaint" here: just the restart will be paused until you close Notepad.

so: any chance to downgrade to the version before

Just set the Windows 8 Compatibility flag to the setting that works best for YOUR system.

The whole point of me linking to a post from another user saying it's 100% STABLE with Windows 8 Compatibility disabled, was just to confirm that:

- The Couatl engine is perfectly stable and, of course, it cannot crash the sim

- Providing you some hint what the real cause of the MSFS crashes, which might also explain why you need to set the Windows 8 Compatibility, which shouldn't normally required. We are suspecting there might be other add-ons that REALLY require Windows 8 Compatibility, and THIS is causing a conflict, which explains why for SOME users Windows 8 Compatibility seem to fix things.

FerrevmVnion

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 08:00:21 pm »
Sorry,

never heard of any software refuses to do anything while a notepad instance is opened... sorry, only asuming im reading crashlogs in notepad ... i could use vs code, notepad++., and more: I didnt noticed that it crashed so i cant come up with any idea to read a crashlog when i dont notice that it has crashed....  sorry Virtuali... just make it restarting nevertheless if someone has NOTEPAD opened... sorry i dont find any other words as... ... sorry... really No one comes to the idea that reading a file could preventing gsx to get back alive... its notepad.... omg. really... as next it also prevents from restarting while the file is just marked in the exlorer and preview pane is enabled.... or someone is using notepad as a notepad... to note something while flying on vatsim, its a notepad, and the windows 11 version of notepad is fantastic with tabs, autosave ... cant use it, because if gsx crashs silently it wont come back to live.. never, and the user isnt aware that just making notes keeps gsx in its "afterlife".... let us a choice to disable autostart, disable autostart while making notes or whatever.... it sounds like a april foul, but you mean that as strange as it is, it's actually serious

and: when gsx is not working correctly it prevents my system to go back to the main menu and msfs ends in a ctd. there must be a reason, and its not notepad.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 08:16:19 pm by FerrevmVnion »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 03:30:24 am »
only assuming im reading crashlogs in notepad ... i could use vs code, notepad++.

You still don't get it, do you? When there's a panic error, Couatl.exe WILL open NOTEPAD ITSELF, not you!

No one comes to the idea that reading a file could preventing gsx to get back alive... its notepad..

How you managed until now, when there was NO auto-restarter to begin with?. What you would have done without it? You would have restarted the program manually, with its icon. You can still do it, it's only the AUTO restart which is temporarily paused when Notepad is open NOT the couatl engine itself.

and: when gsx is not working correctly it prevents my system to go back to the main menu and msfs ends in a ctd. there must be a reason, and its not notepad

Of course is not Notepad, you have been obsessing over it for some reason, but how the restarter handles notepad, doesn't have anything to do with the fact your MSFS crash is not caused by GSX.

FerrevmVnion

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 01:47:10 pm »
Maybe you dont got it: There was NO PANIC LOG which has ever opened !

There was NO MESSAGE GSX has crashed... i only noticed, that my StreamDeck Buttons for GSX didnt work anymore....
Before, i quit GSX with right click on its icon, pressed a button on my StreamDeck to start coutl... not a big deal .... no it crashes, tries to autostart again, cant autostart because it thinks there is notepad open:

To summariaze
- No crash message that GSX has crashed
- No panic log opened
- No notepad instance was running