Author Topic: Sludge Hornet Modifications  (Read 197672 times)

Razgriz

Re: Sludge Hornet Modifications
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2010, 01:46:18 pm »
Sludge, in response to JRs post.

1. I was right

2. I was right

3. Lol, I have the brains, you're the guy that can wipe the floor in ACM though :P

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2010, 06:47:22 pm »
Raz...
OK, you were right about that, and yes, I did get a confirmation.  The pilot responded he had the altimeter set for 450, so he uses that as a checkpoint about when he passes 90 in the pattern.  So I guess we can ask Serge if he can mod the RALT Betty to make that sound instead of "altitude, altitude"?  I own ACM, but you forgot I also own carrier patterns and landings too...  haha.

Serge...
Can you mod the BlackBox RALT sound to be those two tones?  I can get a recording of that specific sound, if you need it?

JR...
But in that video specifically, the Carrier ILS Glideslope and Localizer come up at different times.  Is there a way to change that?  From monitoring the video, it looked to be glideslope first at 90 deg, and the localizer comes up at 60 deg off runway heading.  They dont come up at the same time, you see that part, right?   I think civilian systems are the same way, the glideslope has a wider projection, and the Localizer needle has a more narrow field, but the main point Im talking about is that they dont come up at the same time in any carrier landing HUD videos Ive seen.  On the TACAN, its a good thing you brought that other video up, cause thats the first one Ive seen go to 0.0, but I think I know why.  RAZ pointed this out.  That the TACAN xmitter might be located on the tower and his landing is on the right side of the runway, so thats why?  Well, here's the cut and dry, I'll simply ask him about both, and if he comes back, Ill post his reponses and we can go from there, cool?

Later
Sludge

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2010, 07:00:09 pm »
Sludge,
no problem to add that sound. If you can get a good sample, I'd be appreciated  :)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

neutrino

« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2010, 07:08:31 pm »
Sludge, I agree and it makes sense that the needles will come at different times, but I saw no reason to complicate matters without accurate information. I wanted to keep it simple - both needles come at the same time, i.e. they have the same angular range. I guess I can run some calculations and provide two separate values, that correspond to 90 and 60. Give me some time and I'll get back with results, I will check other videos as well.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2010, 09:40:09 pm »
JR...

Much thanks my friend.  Run your calculations, but also, this guy has been really good about getting back to me quickly.  Hopefully, I can get back with some real world values.  At worst, if he doesnt have the documentation or answers, we can use your calculations, which have already proven to work well.  I mean, you can probly leave the glideslope needle activation at +/-35 deg., then calculate what it would take to get the localizer needle activated at 60 deg.  Oh BTW, on the GPS/NAV HUD text can you make it a bigger clipping, for at least 5 to 6 digits?  The reasoning being is that some ICAOs are long, ie. KNUW (wide-displayed letters), and the ranges also come in decimals, such as 248.5 (wide-display numbers), so it clips that off.  I guess if you just add 2 or 3 digits extra more than what it is now, that should account for all possibilities.

Getting back to real world, I've explained our situation to this fella and asked about both ICLS glideslope/localizer needle activations as well as where the TACAN xmits from and why most youtube Hornet carrier landings show 0.2/0.1 at-the-ramp and 0.1 into the wires and stops at 0.1, with his one exception that you pointed out.  So far, he's been very quick to respond and I'm guessing I'll get an answer tonite when I get off work.

FSXNP...

When I get home from work, Ill get you that sound file.  Is .wav 22khz format good?  And I think we can keep the BALT "altitude, altitude" Betty warning as is.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:27:37 pm by Sludge »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2010, 10:51:47 pm »
To all...

For the next Sludge release, I'm also working on a "thinner" exhaust gas smoke effect that would kill less frames, and look far more realistic than the wide, expanding blooming out effect it is now.  Plenty of people have requested I work on this and RAZ has been toying around with it for a few days.  If anybody else wants to submit changes, feel free.

Personally, I feel that if you can make it more straight line out of the feathers and less of an expanding cone shape, with the current color and texture, I would be most apt to include that in the next Sludge release.  However, feel free to mod the current effect and send me your version of what you think is best.  I will seriously consider all submissions.  Just because I dont like it initially, doesnt mean you cant win me over in the long run.  The toughest one to try to sell me on is the baseline "heat shimmer" effect, tho.  I think if it behaved halfway between a "thinned out" EG Smoke that doesnt go thru physical objects like JBDs, and the current heat shimmer (not altered at all by physical objects, specifically JBDs), it would up the chances that I'd buy off on it.  Along with a tad of brownish/black coloring, those are the ways you'd sell me on including a combo EG Smoke/Heat Shimmer effect for the next Sludge.

Id definately consider an effect that has a middle, thin, darkish interior smoke that dissapates the longer you keep the engine spooled up above the required N1, but with an outer-layer heat shimmer style to it.  Sorta how VooDoo's wake is shaped/formed, but as a smoke effect.  Where the carrier bow wake is wide, less defined and breaks up earlier (heat shimmer equivalent).  The aft wake from the engines is clearly defined, thinner, and longer (EG Smoke equivalent).  Also, if you design it, keep in mind that in the .xml, the "heat shimmer" part could run all the time, but the darker smoke would have to activate within the current Sludge Hornet's N1 parameters.  Those are setup for a specific purpose, to be close to NATOPS numbers on-glideslope power, and when a "power" call is received, the LSO can see the momentary darker "puff" of power added.

Thanks
Sludge

Razgriz

« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2010, 11:09:38 pm »
Also, Serge, once this is added can you make it at a selectable altitude?

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2010, 11:18:20 pm »
Raz...

If you're talking about RALT and BALT betty warnings, you must be asleep at the wheel, as BOTH are selectable as is.  Simply click on the appropriate one (BALT or RALT) and use the keypad to enter the altitude.

JR...

Just got a response and its not as good as I'd hoped it would be.
"The TACAN going to 0.0 is probably an anomaly as it is measuring slant range from station to aircraft. So even if you fly directly over the TACAN your altitude is still measured as distance from the station. Hope that helps."
So I guess you can keep on working on calculations for the localizer to activate and we will just use the glideslope needle and TACAN as-is, unless we get some better real world data on how to compute it.

Thanks JR, Serge, and Raz.
Later
Sludge

Razgriz

« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2010, 04:32:16 am »
J.R., about the TCN,
Your TACAN center is radiating out of the center of the model, which is behind catapult 2 somewhere in the hanger.  You can find this easily in the SDK or using a program, but that isn't necessary.  Now, IRL, the TACAN will be radiating out from the antennas on the tower, where the radio equipment is.  So, it isn't as accurate as you portray it.  It is accurate to the normal person, but for me or Sludge, the TCN isn't the level of accurate that you describe.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:35:20 am by Razgriz »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2010, 05:08:34 am »
JR...

Just found out the TACAN antennas are located on main radio mast on an aircraft carrier.  Hence, the reason why the TACAN reads 0.1, and how the pilot's explanation makes sense.   When he talked about slant range, that cleared things up as to why TACAN only read 0.0 that one time and as he said "an anomaly" because it should've still read 0.1 due to the slant range (distance in length and height) from the TACAN xmitter and the aircraft receiver.

So its up to you if you wanna change it or not, just updating you with my search results.

Later
Sludge   

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2010, 03:46:56 pm »
 And I think we can keep the BALT "altitude, altitude" Betty warning as is.

Yes, sure, BALT logic is kept unchanged. And here's the BlackBox gauge with new RALT sound added. Just unpack this zip into your SLUDGE Panel folder, confirming replace.

neutrino

« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2010, 03:56:55 pm »
J.R., about the TCN,
Your TACAN center is radiating out of the center of the model, which is behind catapult 2 somewhere in the hanger.  You can find this easily in the SDK or using a program, but that isn't necessary.  Now, IRL, the TACAN will be radiating out from the antennas on the tower, where the radio equipment is.  So, it isn't as accurate as you portray it.  It is accurate to the normal person, but for me or Sludge, the TCN isn't the level of accurate that you describe.

Well, I know where the TACAN is radiating from because I put it there ;D And it is precisely from the center of the TACAN antenna as shown in the picture below. The HUD is showing the slant range from the aircraft to the antenna, which is just what the real one is showing. In the picture the distance happens to be 56 meters which is 0.03 n.miles, which rounded to the nearest tenth is 0.0 and not 0.1 !

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:10:32 pm by neutrino »

wilycoyote4

« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2010, 08:03:56 pm »
Thanks for the photo, great explanation.  I recall we had exchanged info on this TACAN location long ago testing the 1st HUD before release.  Can't recall if the comments were in emails, PMs, or postings ---- or all three, lol. 

The photo defines the location clearly.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2010, 12:57:02 am »
Serge...

Thanks my friend.  Already included and working well.

JR...

Not enough thanks to go around for your solid work.  As soon as I get the new EG Smoke effect done, Ill work to get the new Sludge released with all your inclusions.  Glad to have you back.

Later
Sludge

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2010, 04:04:32 pm »
JR,
There's one thing that really needs to be fixed - a flashing recovery arrow. Here's an exerpt from A1-F18AC-NFM-000, stating that the arrow is steady.  ;)