Author Topic: Sludge Hornet Modifications  (Read 197492 times)

Orion

Re: Sludge Hornet Modifications
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2010, 02:27:53 am »
Hope I haven't missed or forgotten something obvious (bit lost since I just got back from my trip), but what exactly is new in the Sludge Hornet 1.1?

Herbie

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2010, 04:41:37 am »
Well Orion if you like to read it first before install, Here are the highlights:
New HUD/Gauges:
- Newer Realistic HUD
- PLAT Cam
- Carrier Wire Trap Gauge
- Refueling Gauge
- UpFrontController "BlackBox" Gauge w/2D HUD Indexer
- Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System Gauge
- Landings Lights Gauge
- Nose Gear Approach (AoA) Light Assembly Gauge

Recommend download/install Orion Lyau's Multiplayer SFCarrier2 multiplayer Mission.  As it
compliments the Sludge Hornet and works very well with the PLAT CAM gauge for all potential LSOs.

--------
Features
--------

1.  New Realistic HUD. Great looking, correllated, realistic VC HUD.  Shift-2, opens HUD Control
    Panel.  Excellent symbology and spacing, along with ICLS needles and TACAN from either the
    default, AI Carriers, or Javier's Carriers.  Using 47X or 57x for default or Javier's carriers.
2.  GPS-9 Panel.  Shift-3.  Standard GPS-9 for navigation.
3.  Beech Bonanza Radio Stack and Autopilot Control. Shift-4. Allows setting all comm/nav radios
    w/standby frequencies available for quick switching.  Also allows easy autopilot
    manipulation on lower portion of the panel.
4.# 2D HUD Indexer.  Shift-5.  Lower left side of HUD for non-TrackIR, 2D HUD users who
    like to fly "meatball, lineup, indexer" on carrier approaches without the physical HUD
    brackets getting in the way when flying in VC.
5.# Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (IFLOLS) gauge.  Shift-5.  For VC and/or
    TrackIR flyers who would like to see the "Meatball" all the way down to the wires.  Based on
    IFLOLS 12-ball system, w/cut lights and reduced datum lights.  Gauge position can be moved.
6.  Carrier PLAT Camera Crosshair Gauge.  Shift-6.  Required for all FSX LSOs.
7.  Carrier Trap Gauge. Shift-7. Modified gauge that gives Wire Trapped, Landing Speed, Alpha, and
    Rate-of-Descent at carrier touchdown.
8.  Refueling Gauge.  Shift-8. Allows air-to-air refueling w/internal fuel percentage/status
    updated on the HUD.
9.  UpFrontController "BlackBox" Gauge/2D Indexer Logic. Shift-9. This Gauge is similar to the
    Super Hornet's UFC by look, and has several integrated features.  It controls Betty BARO
    and RALT warning calls, fuel state is displayed in nearest hundred pounds in decimal form
    (ie 5500 lbs = 5.5).  Refuel Probe button extends refueling probe and opens Refueling Gauge
    (shift-8) for use.  Fuel Dump button activates the fuel dump switch.  Bingo can be set using
    your mouse wheel over the Bingo knob on the Fuel Panel in the VC, and will get accompanied
    "Bingo" call from Betty when indicated Fuel State is reached.
    2D Indexer Logic.  Hook button will toggle between Carrier/Field, and will flash/not flash
    Indexer according to real-world NATOPS-based logic if hook is lowered/retracted.  Betty will
    also call "fuel low" and illuminate the Master Caution when fuel drops below 800 lbs. in either
    Left or Right Main Feed Tanks.
10. Landing Light will now auto shutoff when gear raised.  User will not be able to activate
    until landing gear is lowered.  Can be selected AUTO via UFC gauge for automatic activation,
    once landing gear is deployed.
11. Lowered landing gear profile and better behavior (ie, no-crashes or spin-outs on even
    slighly off-center carrier traps).
12. Higher landing gear and flap drag values.  Higher realism lower speed on-approach flight
    profile. 85-88 percent N2 RPM on approach p/NATOPS standards.
13. Manual Flaps Modification.  Allows manual command of Flaps (Leading Edge Flaps/Trailing Edge
    Flaps): Flaps Up (0 LEF/0 TEF), Flaps HALF (15 LEF/20 TEF), and Flaps FULL (30 LEF/45 TEF).
14. Hook force change.  More realistic time for hook to slow Hornet to a stop when wire caught.
15. Realistic Sound Pack.  Real-life sounds for the Hornet, utilizing FSX Sound Cone
    technology.
16.*Newer "Grunge Sludge" VMFA-323, dirty "desert combat tour" paint scheme.  Selectable within
    FSX in-game menu as the 5th Sludge Hornet paint.

# Only one of these two gauges can be installed, either the 2D HUD Indexer OR the VC
IFLOLS "Meatball" in the shift-5 slot. So the user will have to choose which one to install and
follow the instructions below.

*  Both Basic/FX "Sludge Hornets" have 5 paints: NASA (416 FLTS), Aggressor (VFC-12),
USN (VFA-132), USMC (VMFA-314), and USMC (VMFA-323).  They are now properly designated and
FSX-selectable by their squadron names.  The "Grunge Sludge" will also be selectable from the
default Hornet paints, as it needs to be installed there as well, to work as a Sludge Hornet paint.

** However, anyone who doesnt install the "Grunge Sludge" Hornet paint MAY see a partially drawn
Hornet if they select the VMFA-323 Sludge Hornet. Also, in multiplayer, if not installed, your
selection MAY default back to the default Blues' paint scheme.  FSX can be very unpredictable when
handling mismatched installs or unknowns.

Orion

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2010, 04:55:31 am »
Well, Herb, good to know you read readme files.  I didn't want to know what was in there though, as I already know what the Sludge Hornet is.  What I'd like to read is a changelog to see what's different, new or removed.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2010, 05:55:54 am »
Orion...

The main differences from the original Sludge Hornet release are:  Serge's UFC "Blackbox/Betty" gauge, IFLOLS gauge, Nose Gear ALA lights gauge, the Wire Trap gauge, and the new "Grunge Sludge" Hornet paint.  As well as modded the .air files and aircraft.cfg to give more power but still keep within the NATOPS approach profile that we all know and love (85-88% N2), and I tweaked the landing gear numbers a tad, as Afterburn pointed out the Sludge looks a tad nose up/butt low.  Its now about as level as I can get it without really messing it up.

Herbie...

Youll have to ask JR, if can make a FA18_HUD_VC_R_INIT.cab that contains the .xml you want.  IF he does, simply copy/paste that .cab into the SludgeFA18_Basic or FX/Panel folder and overwrite the old .cab file.  Its actually very easy, but not sure how busy JR is.

Hope that helps.

Later
Sludge

Orion

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2010, 06:28:31 am »
Thanks Sludge.  I'll be sure to grab it when I get a chance.

Also wait, what does Herb want regarding the HUD initialization?  If it's only a matter of editing the CAB file, I'll be happy to help.

Tregarth

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2010, 05:26:18 pm »
Dear Sludge,

Just flown your new improved Hornet around Manston, truly marvellous and awesome.  Thank you.

One point for you, can the size of the IFLOLS be changed?  I am using it with my TripleHead with 3 x 19" widescreens and TrackIR; it is strange to see the rest of the cockpit moving about and the lights staying fixed but this is a detail.  

I have moved them to the upper left side of the screen but they are a bit large and consequently, overpowering.  At present they are 9" wide on the middle screen, is there any way to reduce the size to say 6"?  Then I can put them just outside the cockpit so they appear as if they are on the carrier.

Thank you very much,

Tregarth
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:18:28 pm by Tregarth »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2010, 08:42:24 pm »
Tre...

Yes, you can resize.  You'll have to MOD the panel.cfg file, as I rem'd out (//) the necessary numbers (window_size= 0.xxx, 0.xxx; size,mm= 300, 100), so people could have those smaller numbers avail for quick mods.  Its a smaller but still very workable size for the IFLOLS.  Dont forget to change the last two numbers as well.  The line that reads "gauge00= ..." and ends with something "0, 0, 384, 260", or something close.  Makes sure you put 0, 0, 300, 100" on that gauge line as well.

In my videos, I used the 300, 100 numbers along with the respective "window_size=" and position=1 (center), and the IFLOLS was right on the upper HUD physical VC bar where no active controls are used.  Just like in my IFLOLS test videos.

Hope this helps and if not, find me on Skype later and Ill walk you thru it...

Later
Sludge

Tregarth

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2010, 05:29:57 pm »

Dear Sludge,

Thanks for the reply but I don't understand it.

I have printed the file out but cannot reconcile what you have written in the reply with the text of the file (shown below)

[Window04]
size_mm= 384, 220         // smaller size w/ bigger LCDs (1920x1200) = 300, 100
position=4                // 1 = upper center, 4 = center, 3 = left center
window_size= 0.2, 0.204   // window_size= 0.2, 0.204 deflt; 0.156, 0.083 for 300,100 at 1920x1080
                          // window_size= 0.1875, 0.143 for 1024x768; 0.2, 0.204 for 1920x1080
                          // window_size= 0.2, 0.183 for 384, 220 at 1920x1200
background_color=0,0,0
visible=1
ident=10101

gauge00=IFLOLS!IFLOLS.xml, 0, 0, 384, 220 // smaller size, bigger LCDs (1920x1200) = 0, 0, 300, 100

I see that screen resolution plays a part, my display is 3 x (1360 x 768), which numbers do I change?  Once I know which ones to change I can experiment.  If I want the gauge on the left of the screen which numbers are changed?

I show a screen grab of the current set up

http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/yy235/Goldsworth/?action=view&current=LargeIFLOLS.jpg

As you can see it is a bit of a distraction!

Best regards,

Tregarth

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2010, 06:20:54 pm »
Tree...

Sorry for the confusion.  Sometimes my explanations need clarity.

OK, Here's what you need to input.

[Window 4]
size_mm=300, 100
position=3  // 0 = upper left; 3 = left side
window_size=0.220, 0.130 // 300/1360=0.220; 100/768=0.130
background_color=0,0,0
visible=1
ident=10101

gauge00=IFLOLS!IFLOLS.xml, 0, 0, 300, 100

So, input the above and a smaller version of the IFLOLS should come up and be displayed on the middle left side.  I BOLDED the changes, new values, and calculations so you could see where I came up with the "window_size= x.xxx, y.yyy" numbers.  Also, if you want to move the gauge around, the positions are left-to-right/top to bottom keypad starting with zero.  IE, upper left = 0, upper right = 2, center = 4, lower right = 8.  Im sure you can figure out the others in-between.

Also, for everyone, I had an error pointed out to me... there is an error of omission in the SludgeFX/Panel folder (if you use the PANEL_VC_IFLOLS) panel.cfg for the carrier trap gauge [window] entry.  In the "gauge00.." line, the last entry reads "0, 0, 1024, 102".  To fix, simply make it read "0, 0, 1024, 1024".  Now you should be able to select the Carrier Trap Gauge and it will display as intended.  Sorry about the mistake.

BTW, just edited my carrier pattern video to include a few "notes" and expected verbiage.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:30:04 pm by Sludge »

Tregarth

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2010, 12:46:47 am »
Thank you very much for this,I will give it a go tomorrow.

Tregarth

« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2010, 04:53:45 pm »

Dear Sludge,

For info, I tried your settings

size_mm=300, 100
position=3  // 0 = upper left; 3 = left side
window_size=0.220, 0.130 // 300/1360=0.220; 100/768=0.130
background_color=0,0,0
visible=1
ident=10101

gauge00=IFLOLS!IFLOLS.xml, 0, 0, 300, 100

but the gauge was still too big for my taste.

I changed them to:

size_mm=150, 50
position=1  // 0 = upper left; 3 = left side
window_size=0.110, 0.0650 // 300/1360=0.220; 100/768=0.130 (i.e. These values were divided by 2)
background_color=0,0,0
visible=1
ident=10101

gauge00=IFLOLS!IFLOLS.xml, 0, 0, 150, 50

i.e. I divided your values by 2 to keep the same ratio.  As you did I have highlighted the changes in BOLD The gauge now exactly fits into the gap between the AoA gauge and the edge of the screen.  I hope this will be of help to others who want to resize the gauge.

One other point; on a 3 screen system the positions you refer to are as follows

Screen 1               Screen 2          Screen 3
            Left edge               Middle            Right edge
Top       0                             1                           2
Middle    3                             4                           5
Bottom   6                             7                           8

I hope this makes sense.

Tregarth

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2010, 06:28:34 pm »
Tree...

Hey, if that works, then right on.  And thanks for posting the values for others that wanna use them.  Usually if you have a question, someone else did as well, and just may not have asked it?  Or a Sludge Hornet newbie might come on today and find your numbers useful?

And thanks for the gauge position matrix for 3 monitors.  Good to see you do some experimenting.  The more you do it, the more comfortable you'll get with mods.  Thats how I started, and look where I am now.

Anyway, if youre up for some sideseat flying, let me know... we can setup a weekend session, and I can see where you've progressed in holding altitude using the throttle and how you are in the landing phase.

Later
Sludge

Tregarth

« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2010, 09:44:41 pm »

Dear Sludge,

At the risk of being tedious, I have found that on my monitor (which is 1360 x 768) if the following lines are changed as follows

size_mm=100, 50

window_size=0.730, 0.0650

gauge00=.........0, 0, 150, 50

I have a really nice set of lights which sit brilliantly on the screen , they are not at all "overpowering", are very realistic and work extremely well.  They are a real credit to all the work which went in to creating them.

Whilst in the pub with my wife I also had a flash of brilliance, change the line position=3 to 3.75, then the lights will appear toward the centre of the screen.  Didn't work, clearly this command only likes integers. 

Who said romance was dead? Back to the cider.

Thanks again,

Tregarth

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2010, 12:05:17 am »
Tregarth, an 'interesting' factoid about cider and NavAv: http://www.tailhook.org/hookmag.htm
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Tregarth

« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2010, 10:35:00 am »
Thank you for this; I have always maintained (and tell my wife) this is a very erudite and informative site.  My education has been improved.

Cheers!

Tregarth
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:38:27 am by Tregarth »