Author Topic: Sludge Hornet Modifications  (Read 197677 times)

Razgriz

Re: Sludge Hornet Modifications
« Reply #300 on: September 30, 2010, 12:13:10 am »
IMO the effect is spot on and just needs to be elongated.  Here's a picture-

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:55:07 am by Razgriz »

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #301 on: September 30, 2010, 02:43:40 pm »
wow
long time no see, and I have no idea whats going on lol

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2010, 04:59:15 pm »
Fael...

Good to have you back on board.  Anything ever come of that 3D model you were doing?  What about those "short movies" you were making?

Serge...

I remade your ALA lights, hope you dont mind.  These new lights give a clearer "center point", so you can obviously tell what light is activated.  And if youre not busy, Ill probly be PMing you for some help with your UFC/Blackbox gauge.  Just a little integration and a few extra lines.  Shouldnt be anything big.

Raz...
The included picture is the HiAoA vapor.  As we talked about, I will have different vapors for different happenings.

Fellas...
The Sludge v1.2 Test Candidate 1 is on-schedule for Friday release.  Dont anticipate any problems getting out to everyone for testing.  Its all done, just have to get a full list of "updates", so you'll know the differences between this and the other Sludge Hornet mods.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:02:34 pm by Sludge »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #303 on: September 30, 2010, 06:08:53 pm »
Sludge,

Your ALA look cool!  8) And getting back to XML/RPN tweaking would be a good break from my FCLP missions (currently almost finished) ;)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

GOONIE

« Reply #304 on: September 30, 2010, 06:51:56 pm »
Sludge,

Regarding the exhaust effect, does it dynamically change due to RPM settings? For example does the plume get thicker/thinner or more opaque/transparent based on throttle inputs?  Can’t tell from the pictures. Looking forward to the test aircraft.

Capt
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #305 on: September 30, 2010, 10:29:52 pm »
Serge...

Thanks.  Yeah, I hear ya on that... when I've been going at it tweaking/modding after work, sometimes I just gotta let it go for a day or so, just to get my brain re-caged and change things up.  Otherwise I get beat down and start to make more and more dumb mistakes with small items.

CAPT...

Sludge,

Regarding the exhaust effect, does it dynamically change due to RPM settings? For example does the plume get thicker/thinner or more opaque/transparent based on throttle inputs?  Can’t tell from the pictures. Looking forward to the test aircraft.

Capt

Its really funny you say that... as of right now the EG Smoke not regulated in that manner.  However, when I was driving into work today I had the same idea, after watching some Blues' takeoffs on Y/T last night.  Guess thats the turn-around time for an idea to take root in my brain??  Right now, it activates at 65% N1 and will cut off after 20 secs to simulate the N1 fan stage "catching up" with N2 compressor stage, or it cuts when pulling the throttle back past 65% N1.  Of course that can be changed very easily.  But I was thinking about adding the high alpha transparency (barely opaque enough to see in FSX), "dirty smoke" activated anytime above 95% N2, as I've witnessed in the Blues' and other Hornet take off videos, they take off and the "dirty smoke" is visible from start of runway to climbout and thats well more than a full minute.  I'll explore this more in detail after I get the Sludge v1.2 TC1 out Friday.

Have any specific ideas you want me to try, along the lines of the one you brought up?  Darker and shorter smoke, early (~65%-90%) N1?  Semi-transparent, long, "dirty" smoke, later (~95% or greater) N2?  Think up some guidelines based on your observations and when I get the newest Sludge out, Ill give them a shot.

Fellas...

IF my FLARES idea works, its gonna be a DOOZY!!  I already have a preliminary effect and damn, it looks REALLY GOOD!!  Cant wait to attach a smoke trail effect, give it an "ejection force", and add sound.

Later
Sludge

skimmer

« Reply #306 on: October 01, 2010, 04:13:43 am »
Sludge, when you get the flares effect, do you think it will work with the super mod FSX FA-18? ??? I mean I still have the FSX FA-18,(not the sludge FA-18), but I have modified the FSX-FA-18 with just about all of your addons,and Voodoos, that I am begining to think that that I no longer have the FSX or your FA-18. :) Ok, I do a lot of traps and cats and follow to the letter. I follow this pack board more than any other and you guys are right on ! So if nothing else comes out of this longated entrie. THANKS for all the FUN. ;D PS . This is older pic.

Razgriz

« Reply #307 on: October 01, 2010, 06:12:51 am »
Whaddya' wasting your time with the default Hornet for?

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #308 on: October 01, 2010, 06:45:22 am »
Skimmer...

Actually, I'm not sure as I'm building it to the Sludge Hornet specs, so I have no idea if it will cross-over.

Thanks, man.  Glad you enjoy.  And I hope you read the letter I posted, from a guy in South America, who loves the Sludge Hornet and was pretty expressive with his thanks.  I sent him a return email, letting him know that his support is appreciated and it's not just me but others too, who let me incorporate their add-ons, gauges, mods, and changes into the Sludge.  Plus, we have our own prior naval ops carrier guy, Spaz... who gives alot of good information!

Im out to finish the Sludge TC1 for tomorrow PM release...

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:34:39 pm by Sludge »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #309 on: October 01, 2010, 06:55:45 am »
Fellas...

BTW, here's a great HUD pic from the eyepoint, THIS IS WHAT HUD SYMBOLOGY should look like from the pilot's point of view.  Also, take note of how UNOBTRUSIVE the AoA Indexer physical bracket is... comparatively in all FSX Hornets its almost 3x as large and gets in the way of the Meatball on final.  IF I can ever get to mod the internal model, that is one of the FIRST THINGS that will be changed.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:01:27 am by Sludge »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #310 on: October 01, 2010, 08:32:51 am »
Mickey...

As far as installing textures... I found my original guide, hope it helps if you havent already done it.  Go into the original Sludge 1.0 or 1.1 .ZIP folder.  Then look in the Basic for a folder called Install VMFA-323 Textures.  You'll have to extrapolate a little, as you already have the textures installed in the default Hornet, but once you read it all, it should become clear what you need to do to get the textures "ported" to the Sludge.

Later
Sludge

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #311 on: October 01, 2010, 09:57:17 am »
Sludge, an e-mail arrived today with (7.6Mb) video now at FileFront that shows a Hornet? arrest and catapult with cloud surfing to show the condensation effects. All done via the rear view mirror 'effect/view':

http://www.filefront.com/17338172/USN Hornet Arrest Cat via Rear View Condensation BlueWATER1.wmv

Forgot to NOT add spaces for FileFront files so above URL is all one string including spaces, copy paste etc.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:01:19 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #312 on: October 01, 2010, 03:36:45 pm »
Spaz...

Good video.  Just downloaded and viewed it.  Will give me more info. to work with as I get better at producing the G-effects.

Fellas...

The Sludge should be released this afternoon/evening.  Just have to tidy a few things up when I get home from work, then Ill put it out there for everyone.

Later
Sludge

skimmer

« Reply #313 on: October 01, 2010, 09:03:19 pm »
Rodger that Sludge. Do you think that I can have both the Sludge and the FSX honet installed at the same time? Or anyone else that knows. Thank you
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:47:08 pm by skimmer »

GOONIE

« Reply #314 on: October 01, 2010, 09:37:16 pm »
Sludge,

Not the best video in terms of quality/resolution, but it demonstrates the hornet exhaust effect I am thinking of to help the LSO, where the dynamic exhaust effects shows power corrections while in the groove;

-Capt

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."