Author Topic: No Buildings  (Read 11713 times)

FNLU

No Buildings
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:36:55 am »
Have read the posts regarding the "no building" problem.  I have done the following:

1) Made sure AVG anti-virus has exception for FS9 folder.
2) Made sure ALL afcads and other add ons for PHNL are removed.  ((I use FS Global 2008 terrain))
3) Downloaded and installed PHNL.
4) Paid via Web Browser link on FSDT website and received serial number in email.
5) Went into FS, and under Addon manager>Dreamteam>Honolulu, I clicked the 'register Serial' button and entered the correct serial number.

All of the above happened with no errors except that I had to manually add the scenery to the FS scenery library (had to do that with KJFK also).

I did pay for and download the scenery on a different PC and installed it on my FS PC via my network.  I did this with KORD and KJFK with no problems.

My FSX installs are fine (those are on another different pc).

Thanks
WS

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No Buildings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:22:05 am »
5) Went into FS, and under Addon manager>Dreamteam>Honolulu, I clicked the 'register Serial' button and entered the correct serial number.

Since you HAVE the Addon Manager running, your problem doesn't have anything to do with it.

You don't have an activation problem, you don't have a registration problem, and you don't have an antivirus problem. If you had ANY of these problems, you would get either an error on activation OR, you wouldn't see the Addon Manager menu in the first place, which is the most common cause, when the antivirus is interfering.

If you see it, it means the software is running fine so, there's no need to do anything to "fix it", because it's working already.

All of the above happened with no errors except that I had to manually add the scenery to the FS scenery library (had to do that with KJFK also).

This, instead, IT'S NOT NORMAL.

Which just confirms that, your problem doesn't have anything to do with activation but, instead, there's something that doesn't work on your FS9 install or your Windows install, that prevents the Scenery Library to be updated automatically by the installer, which simply shouldn't happen.

Are you running FS9 under Vista or Windows 7 ? In this case, you might try running it as Administrator.

FNLU

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:42:48 pm »
Sir:

I am running FS9 on XPpro/32 bit. 

Rhetorical question:  Why does KJFK work fine and PHNL not?  I had to manually activate both of them.

-Could this have anything to do with the scenery.cfg???  I will review that and my fs9.cfg.

My XPpro SP3 is ALWAYS up-to-date.

I will advise results.  Thank you for the quick response.

Walter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 05:54:33 pm »
Rhetorical question:  Why does KJFK work fine and PHNL not?  I had to manually activate both of them.

If, by manually activate, you mean manually adding them to the Scenery Library, then you shouldn't have done that, the installer should have done it automatically.

Which it seems to indicate you might have a different kind problem, of the scenery.cfg not being updatable by the installer. Which is even more odd under XP, since there are no virtual folder or UAC permissions involved.

It might be your scenery.cfg as a syntax error, which explains why you keep have to manually add the areas.

In any case, there's no reason why KJFK would work an PHNL not, other than you haven't properly added to the Scenery Library (which, as I've said, you are NOT supposed to do it for any of our sceneries).

Another reason of this problem, might be that you have ANOTHER scenery in conflict, for PHNL only, that is excluding the airport, which can also explain why you see JFK, but not PHNL.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:56:43 pm by virtuali »

FNLU

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 01:48:24 am »
I should have been more explicit: I manually added both sceneries via the FS9 scenery library; I did not manually edit the Scenery.cfg file. 

I will check again for some other scenery in the Hawaiian area.  The only one I am aware of at this moment is FS Global 2008 terrain.

I will also check line by line in the Scenery.cfg file for any anomaly.

Thanks again.
Walter

FNLU

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 04:05:26 am »
Sir;

I have disabled every possible scenery item including the entire addon scenery folder to no avail; did folder by folder searches; disabled all generic folders such as EZscenery and RWY12 to insure that any unidentified files that may be hidden in those folders are accounted for; went over my scenery.cfg file line by line and all syntaxes are correct.  Also went into AFCAD2 an checked for other PHNL files -- there were only two -- the default and the FSDT one.

The only thing left (I think) is to uninstall both KJFK and PHNL, re-download them directly to my FS9 PC (instead of running the install files over my network) and try installing that way.  I understand that since I was able to register the sceneries without a problem indicates that all the necessary files are  present... however I am at a loss as to what else could be going on.  I went over my scenery.cfg file line by line and all syntaxes are correct.

Before I proceed with uninstalling I will wait for your opinion on this.

Thanks again.
Walter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 08:38:43 am »
I should have been more explicit: I manually added both sceneries via the FS9 scenery library; I did not manually edit the Scenery.cfg file.  

I understood, and you are not supposed to have to do this. That the installer wasn't able to edit the scenery.cfg automatically, might be an indication that something is wrong with it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:52 am »
I understand that since I was able to register the sceneries without a problem indicates that all the necessary files are  present...

Not exactly. It's only an indication that the software (Addon Manager) that is doing the activation is working, so you don't have a problem with it and you shouldn't worry about activation.

But, it's not an indication that the scenery has been installed properly. In fact, it's perfectly possible to buy and register a scenery, even before installing it, as long as you have the Addon Manager installed running, you can buy any scenery from it, and they can be activated as well, without being installed.

If you have a problem in your scenery.cfg file, the installation might have not be completed, which is also why you don't see the scenery. Which is odd anyway, since there's usually a warning message during the installation, if any errors are found in the scenery.cfg

FNLU

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 07:51:09 pm »
If you have a problem in your scenery.cfg file, the installation might have not be completed

With the above in mind I replaced my scenery.cfg file with the original FS9 one direct from disk #4 of the FS9 disk set.  I then added the PHNL scenery via the scenery library; left FS and re-started.

I was able to select my saved PHNL TEST flight.  As it was loading an error msg came up saying that a necessary folder was missing.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:00:23 pm »
I then added the PHNL scenery via the scenery library; left FS and re-started.

As I've said, it shouldn't necessary for you to add it manually: the *installer* should have done that automatically. Have you launched the PHNL installer again, after you restored the default scenery.cfg ?

I was able to select my saved PHNL TEST flight.  As it was loading an error msg came up saying that a necessary folder was missing.

Which error, exactly ?

Kelleymoe

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 01:10:39 am »
Walter,

I had the same problems.  I followed the recommended protocol for dealing with it and still nothing...no buildings.  What I ended up doing was turning off my McAfee and downloading and re-installing my PHNL scenery.  This seemed to fix the issue with my system.  I just bought KLAS, did the same thing, and it worked just fine.  Again, every system is different.  McAfee is not always scenery friendly.

Mike Franks

FNLU

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 04:27:13 am »
Success!!!  Here's what I did:

1) Uninstalled all 3 of my FSDT sceneries and addon manager.

2) Removed remaining FSdreamteam folder under FS9.

3) Moved the 3 setup files (KORD PHNL and KJFK) from my internet PC to my FS9 PC.  Left the backed-up reg files where they were.

4) Installed PHNL first -- automatically added to the Scenery.cfg file.

5) Started FS9 -- PHNL worked perfectly.

6) Installed KORD and KJFK respectively and they worked perfectly also.

I suspect there was something that the install files did not like about being run over my network.  All this with my normal scenery.cfg file so there was nothing wrong with that.

Thank you for your assistance.

Walter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 11:53:04 am »
I had the same problems.

If you fixed your issue by turning off the antivirus (which IS suggested everywhere in this forum), your problem was entirely different, because the Addon Manager was blocked by the antivirus so, it didn't appear on the FS menu bar because it wasn't running, which is why you didn't see buildings.

FNLU says he always had the Addon Manager running so, his problem didn't had anything to do with the antivirus.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 11:55:42 am »
I suspect there was something that the install files did not like about being run over my network.

This might be, although I can't really explain why. The most likely cause are permissions issues of running an installer that requires admin access over a network (which might not be always allowed, depending how the network is configured).