Author Topic: Default Runway??  (Read 7847 times)

alptosun

Default Runway??
« on: April 30, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »
Hello

Last night I installed FSX in my computer for the first time and updated to SP2. Then I installed FSDT LSZH, KORD and JFK, nothing more. Zurich and Chicago are OK but at JFK the runway textures looks like a default one. I own the FS9 version and the runways look different. All airports are active by the way. I attached a screenshot, hope you can help me.

Another question is, the surface textures of the airport are loading very slowly especially at JFK and ORD. It look blurry at far distances, its getting sharper when get closer but loading time of the textures is very slow. Is there a way to improve this and make surface of the airport more sharper?

Thanks a lot
Alp

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Default Runway??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 06:29:42 pm »
at JFK the runway textures looks like a default one.

That's not what appears in your screenshot: they looks as the should, since JFK uses a combination of default base textures + custom markings only.

I own the FS9 version and the runways look different.

This because you might have installed a runway texture enhancement package in FS9, that is not in FSX.

Another question is, the surface textures of the airport are loading very slowly especially at JFK and ORD. It look blurry at far distances, its getting sharper when get closer but loading time of the textures is very slow. Is there a way to improve this and make surface of the airport more sharper?

This of course doesn't have much to do with the scenery, but rather your settings in FSX, and your videocard settings.

What effects textures sharpness in FSX is combination of settings, video card settings and cpu/gpu resources available. Sometimes, by increasing settings, you make the situation worse rather than better, because your system might struggle to display everything at the requested detail level so, it will just display the lowest versions of the texture, because it hasn't enough *time* to display the higher res.

If you are new to FSX, it's probably best to frequent some specific forum, like the one on Avsim, which discuss about tweaks and setting extensively.

First thing you can try, is to set the Anisotropic filtering in FSX and set your videocard control panel option to enable forced Anisotropic filtering at 8x or 16x. And, be sure you have set the Max Texture Slider in FSX all the way to the right.

alptosun

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 07:17:28 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply

I attached a screenshot from FS9 version and I dont use any enhancement package. As you can see texture colors are different. If both runways for both version looks as they should be then no problem. I am confused becasue runway textures are same in your other products for both FS9 and FSX

I will take a look at the forums for any useful tweaks, thanks for the tip  :)

Alp

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:26:30 pm »
I attached a screenshot from FS9 version and I dont use any enhancement package

I can only confirm that your FSX screenshot is how the scenery should look like on FSX. See this screenshot here, this is how it looks like on my PC:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/images/kjfk_4l.jpg

I'm not sure if, under FS9, the default runway texture has that color. In any case, JFK will use whatever runway texture you have installed for that texture material.

alptosun

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:12:36 pm »
Ok then no problem  :)

But I think runway in FS9 has much better color and looks more natural  ;)

thanks Umberto