Author Topic: Flickering taxiway markings?  (Read 15111 times)

Toby91

Flickering taxiway markings?
« on: April 26, 2010, 02:49:46 pm »
Hello!

I have had the cloud9 Flesland scenery for fsx for a while and i am annoying myself over one particular problem. When i get up to altitude (700 - 1000ft) and above, the ground markings start flickering? What can be that causes this, and is there a fix for this? :)

Running FSX Acceleration and windows 7

Cheers, Toby91! :)

Toby91

Re: Flickering taxiway markings?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:18:50 pm »
Is there no one that knows anything? :)

Stony83

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:12:16 pm »
I have the same problem as you. Have you gotten any solutions or do you still have the flickering taxiway marking? On my airport it is flickering inside the hangar's as well.

I'm running FSX Acceleration and Windows 7 (64bit) with UT Europe and GEX Europe installed.

Stein Ove

G.Bosak

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 05:10:55 pm »
Same here!

purchased Bergen some Weeks ago. beautiful scenery, annoying issue

FSX@Sp2
WIN7 64bit
Nvidia 285er GPU
driver: latest WHQL [258.96] // Nvidia Inspector 1.91 to assure 8x/16x AA (override) and 16 AF.
Mesh: FS Global 08 (no other scenery in this area than Bergen airport)

each yellow groundmarking is flickering (you see it temporary missing in my screenshot)

pls get this fixed

regards

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:40:15 am »
We are supporting Cloud9 products mainly for reactivations issues and general installation questions, but making improvements to the scenery it's more difficult for us.

This issue has been like this since the scenery was released in early 2007, strange some complains are surfacing only now, apparently people were less sensitive to small visual artifacts back then. It's also probably released to the fact ENBR was made before FSX SP2 came out, not sure if this makes a difference or not, but it might.

I'm not sure right now if we can fix it or not, we have to look into it but, as I've said, it's not as easy for us as fixing an FSDT products AND I had an email recently from an user that said he was working on the scenery and improve the flatten. He'll send me the file and will also upload it here when he's done, perhaps this will fix the flickering as well.

Bakern

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 07:11:49 am »
Hi virtuali.

Thank you for your answer.  :)

I have tried that flatten file you told us about, so far, no fix for flickering, but it's starting to look very good around the airport. 

But i hope he will fix that too.

This issue has been like this since the scenery was released in early 2007, strange some complains are surfacing only now, apparently people were less sensitive to small visual artifacts back then. It's also probably released to the fact ENBR was made before FSX SP2 came out, not sure if this makes a difference or not, but it might.

Can only answer for myself, hardware are getting better and detail's in sim also, so it doesn't look very nice when you are at final at ENBR when the ground are flickering so much.

Ps virtuali:
No hard feelings from me, i felt that i had to write it like i did. to get your attention.  ;)

Hope we can get a fix for this, for this scenery is absolute nice, overall.

Brgds
Stein-Ove Rud
Hamar
Norway

G.Bosak

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 08:27:10 pm »
We are supporting Cloud9 products mainly for reactivations issues and general installation questions, but making improvements to the scenery it's more difficult for us.

I'm not sure right now if we can fix it or not, we have to look into it but, as I've said, it's not as easy for us as fixing an FSDT products AND I had an email recently from an user that said he was working on the scenery and improve the flatten. He'll send me the file and will also upload it here when he's done, perhaps this will fix the flickering as well.

Hi Umberto,

thx for your reply, i hope you and your team do christmas magic on this airport, it would be a pity if such a beautiful airport looks like the flickering demo mode of imagesim;-)

If it helps investigating:

this issue happens in every season.
it doesn't make a difference on this airport, if the "terrain flatten tool" is in "standard" or in "FS global" mode
no difference in disclaiming quality texture filtering (AA/AF)

best regards

PS: another (maybe helpful) information, cause i am to fishy to write another post in the correct part of the forum. The problem some others and me had with bleeding through ground textures at the 8L in PHNL are solved with the latest service pack for honolulu X. I remember you tried to help with modified bgls.

Bakern

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 08:14:08 pm »
Hello!

I have had the cloud9 Flesland scenery for fsx for a while and i am annoying myself over one particular problem. When i get up to altitude (700 - 1000ft) and above, the ground markings start flickering? What can be that causes this, and is there a fix for this? :)

Running FSX Acceleration and windows 7

Cheers, Toby91! :)

Thank you for updating ENBR, but that awfully flickering ground\apron are still there, try a landing from south or a overfly, and check it!

Update did help for something yes, flickering on taxiway marking, i see them disapeer over a given altitude, well in my eyes, maybe better visual with flickering on markings like before, when apron is just same as before...!!

I realy hope you and your team can deal with this problem some time, i now, i'm not alone with that!

BRGDS

Stein-Ove Rud

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 08:32:48 pm »
Update did help for something yes, flickering on taxiway marking, i see them disapeer over a given altitude, well in my eyes, maybe better visual with flickering on markings like before, when apron is just same as before...!!

I'm sorry, but you'll have to accept some flickering. ENBR was designed and released in early 2007 before even FSX SP1 was out, and the airport design doesn't use any of the FS8 backward compatibility helpers which appeared with FSX SP1 to allow custom ground markings. Back then, no other scenery developer was able to offer an FSX scenery with custom ground runway/aprons, ENBR was the only one, but it wasn't perfect, because FSX pre-SP1 simply didn't allow it.

Fixing this would require redoing the whole ground layer with newer post-SP1 techniques, and this is out of the scope of support we can give to Cloud9 products, which can only cover small fixes and help with installation/reactivation.

Besides, the flickering has always been like this since the scenery was released 4 years ago, it's not something that appeared now and, since the scenery is available in Trial and nobody complained so far (except in the last few weeks), we always assumed it wasn't perceived as a big issue.

StigAndre7

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 05:30:30 pm »
But is there plans for any updates on this scenery ?

Only issue I had/have is some flickering on ground around terminals, I can deal with that.

But why the yellow runway markings appear just before touch down is strange. Or is that related, since it' is old?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:33:19 pm by StigAndre7 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 10:30:37 pm »
But is there plans for any updates on this scenery ?

I think my previous message (from 2011), explained the issues.

But why the yellow runway markings appear just before touch down is strange. Or is that related, since it' is old?

No, that's normal and it's made intentionally to save fps. Don't forget that when the scenery was released in 2007, even before the FSX SP1, not many systems could run FSX without some heavy optimization in sceneries.

StigAndre7

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 06:32:41 pm »
Roger that. I guess I can deal with that since it's old etc. Thanks :)