Author Topic: Possible to change airstair type?  (Read 1241 times)

Profane

Possible to change airstair type?
« on: July 11, 2023, 05:11:20 pm »
Hey,

Is it possible to change the type of airstairs that spawn?

For example if I want the vehcle type at the front door instead of the push-stairs?

https://i.imgur.com/V4fy30B.png
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 02:52:25 pm by virtuali »

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: Possible to change airstair type?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 09:45:38 pm »
If I remember right, this is based on the height of the door.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 02:54:42 pm »
Yes, it is based on the door's height, which is checked against some parameters on each individual vehicle, to be sure the vehicle CAN reach the door, considering both its minimum and maximum reachable heights.

When there are several vehicles that can all reach the airplane door, their selection will be random amongst all the suitable candidates.

Profane

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 03:21:19 pm »
So, no way to manually select or modify a config to force the larger stairs to the front door?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 03:25:10 pm »
So, no way to manually select or modify a config to force the larger stairs to the front door?

What GSX does is always giving you the correct kind of stair that can reach the airplane, and the reason it's random is so you will see some variation. In fact, considering we have 3 types of stairs, 2 with a vehicle and 1 without, you are supposed to see the vehicle type about 2/3 of the times, on average.

Profane

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 05:14:54 pm »
Hmm ok, I've been using GSX since it came out and I've never seen any other type of stair config than the one in my first pic. Always the push stairs to the front door and always the 'truck' to the rear. Using the 'default' PMDG 737 config if that matters.

Profane

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 03:39:48 pm »
Just confirming that I've seen no randomisation of the fwd stairs and have completed another 5-6 flights.

Can anyone here help me with a modification to the aircraft config file to force different stairs? This happens with the PMDG -700 and -800.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 05:36:44 pm »
Hmm ok, I've been using GSX since it came out and I've never seen any other type of stair config than the one in my first pic.

That is in fact correct for a 737, I was referring to other airplanes.

It is correct because, the two other passengers stairs we have (the ones with a vehicle) have 2.91 meters from ground as the minimum height their platform can reach, because the stairs animation first raise the stair to have the platform parallel to the ground, and then will extend to raise further, so the minimum usable height is 2.91, but since the 737 Main Exit is about 2.75 mt. from ground you'll never see that stair on front. In the rear you will, since because of the slightly pitched-down attitude of 737 on ground, the rear exit is slightly higher than the minimum that staircase can reach.

So, GSX is working correctly, by displaying on front only the staircase that can be used on that airplane, while still remining variable on the rear, because more vehicles satisfy the height constraint.

Profane

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 03:05:27 pm »
So, GSX is working correctly, by displaying on front only the staircase that can be used on that airplane, while still remining variable on the rear, because more vehicles satisfy the height constraint.

Lol what?!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 02:22:36 am »
Lol what?!

What are you trying to say with that ? Is there something you don't understand of my explanation ?

It thought it was quite clear why, with the models being what they are, it's CORRECT GSX would show the smaller stair on front and the larger one on the rear, because:

- The front exit of the 737 is 2.75 meters from ground, so it CANNOT be reached by ANY of the two larger stairs, which can only go as low as 2.91 meters from ground, so GSX correctly calls the smaller stairs on front, which CAN reach that height.

- The rear exit of the 737 is 3.37 meters from ground, so it CANNOT be reached by the smaller stair, which can only go as high as 2.95 meters from ground, so GSX calls one of the two larger stairs on the rear, randomly, so you have a variations between the models that can reach the door.

Or, are you trying to suggest GSX should call a stairs even if it cannot reach the door ?

Profane

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2023, 11:19:52 am »

Okay so it is more that I was hoping that we could have these types of vehicles for the front stairs as per real but I guess the 'truck-stair' variant in GSX is not correctly modeled to meet the front stair of a 737 type.

https://i.imgur.com/jySRMLo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vQR6h9m.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MPlvTwo.jpg

« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 09:08:47 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2023, 09:25:40 am »
I guess the 'truck-stair' variant in GSX is not correctly modeled to meet the front stair of a 737 type.

Please stop repeating the GSX stair is "not correctly modeled", since it clearly is but, of course, it must work within the constraints of the MSFS SDK.

As you can see from your own pictures, to meet the door of a 737, the stairs have a slightly pitch down attitude, enough to cover the 16 cm we need to reach the 737 front door.

The issue is, the MSFS SDK requires the staircase animation to have two parts: the first one is used only to tilt up the stairs to have their top platform level with the ground, the second one is the one that reaches the door. And as I've said already, the correctly modeled stair, is already at 2.95 mt. from ground at the minimum height at the start of the 2nd animation, so it's 16 cm too high, which means GSX will discard it as not being suitable for the front door of the 737.

If we cheated, and lowered the height restriction, the stair will appear but, the walking top platform will be 16cm higher than the door threshold, which wouldn't look very good with passengers walking.

Or, we could cheat in another way, and resize the correctly modeled stairs to be like 95% scale? I guess nobody will notice and everybody will be happy, right?