Author Topic: In-Flight Refueling gauge + video  (Read 40299 times)

markturner

Re: In-Flight Refueling gauge + video
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 10:14:55 am »
Thanks for the tip, I have that but did not use the flight plan. Will look into it.

If you dont mind buying it, this: http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=airtrfcfx is a fantastic little programme that lets you set a tanker of your choice take off from your airpost or appear over head. You can make it fly a pre made plan ( I used PlanG, here: http://www.tasoftware.co.uk ) and it also does formations, parked traffic etc .

BTW, do you guys know of any reason why the gauge would not work properly with the VRS superbug? Jon Blum says he would not recommend it - I think because of the way the Bug models fuel transfer etc. But I get the feeling that they have not actualy looked into it in detail, as they have their own version coming out soon as a payware addon , sort of like the AIcarriers mod, but for tankers.

Cheers, Mark

neutrino

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 12:35:26 pm »
BTW, do you guys know of any reason why the gauge would not work properly with the VRS superbug? Jon Blum says he would not recommend it - I think because of the way the Bug models fuel transfer etc. But I get the feeling that they have not actually looked into it in detail, as they have their own version coming out soon as a payware addon , sort of like the AIcarriers mod, but for tankers.

Cheers, Mark

The refueling gauge should work on any aircraft - it only adds fuel until all tanks are 100% full. I haven't tested it with the VRS Superbug. My guess as to why Jon would not recommend it, is because he hasn't tested it, so he can't be 100% sure that it will work properly. But as long as you have a backup of your Panel.cfg file, there is no problem to try it. If everything runs OK - keep it and have fun  ;D  

markturner

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 10:18:42 pm »
Hey Neutrino, here is a little video of me refueling. You can clearly see the problem i was describing with the amount of fuel going down, not up!!!

p/f

cheers, Mark

neutrino

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 10:31:32 pm »
Hi, Mark, I found what is the problem 8) The model you are flying has external tanks. However it is not possible to add fuel to the external tanks. So in your video you have filled all your internal tanks and that gives you 84% of total fuel capacity, the other 16% is your external tank. The gauge tries to fill up the external tank (which is about 60% full) but cannot. So once you see that resetting action (the fuel percent goes down after 'TRANSFER' message), you have taken as much fuel as you could have and can press the 'REFUEL OFF' button on the gauge.

I'll have to test if this is an FSX problem or just IRIS model specific. If it is an FSX issue, then I can rewrite the gauge to recognize external tanks and show you the 'FULL' message as soon as you fill the internal tanks. Thanks anyway for the detailed bug report and video!

If you try the refueling procedure with a model that does not have external tanks, you will be able to get to 100% and see the 'FULL' message.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:41:56 pm by neutrino »

markturner

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 09:24:51 am »
That sounds like a good explanation! But I am not sure if it is 100% correct - here is why : Just one question, why does my initial percentage read higher than 84% ?
Last night I was practicing again, and took off right behind the tanker. By the time I got lined up behind, and turned on the gauge, my fuel percentage projected on the HUD by the gauge read 91%. I started refueling, got the transfer message and it went down to 81%

I carried on practicing and using fuel, had several other attempts, with my fuel lower, but each time, I ended up with less than when I started the attempt. It usually bumps you down approx 10%

I will retry tonight with a lower initial fuel load. My experimentation is hampered somewhat by my ability at refueling, the longest I have been able to stay connected is about 10 or 12 seconds !

Will also try with a different loadout, IE no external tanks.

Cheers, Mark

Thanks for the help!

markturner

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 02:52:29 pm »
Hi Neutrino, well, I can confirm after testing with a clean loadout on the Viper, that it works exactly as you said and very well ! So that solves that little riddle! Thanks for your help and interest and for making the thing as well,

Best, Mark

Tomahawk

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 08:40:53 am »
Hi Guys
I installed the Gauge as explinated in the readme (Adding the RefulingGauge.Cab file to the panel folder of the F-18 and changing the panel.cfg) but it doesent work. I can`t open the Window. What did I do wrong.

Tomahawk

neutrino

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 02:51:44 pm »
Hi Guys
I installed the Gauge as explinated in the readme (Adding the RefulingGauge.Cab file to the panel folder of the F-18 and changing the panel.cfg) but it doesent work. I can`t open the Window. What did I do wrong.

Tomahawk
Can you paste or attach your panel.cfg here?

Tomahawk

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 03:07:37 pm »
Here it is. By the way, I have the same probleme with the plat cam for the carrier.

Tomahawk

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 05:25:16 pm »
JR...

Im sure you got this one, as I looked at the panel.cfg and it looks like an easy fix.

Tomahawk...

Cool name, btw.  You should download/install the Sludge Hornet.  To download/install the Sludge Hornet, just click on the link on my signature to get the .zip file.  JR's (neutrino) refueling gauge and PLAT CAM are included.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:27:40 pm by Sludge »

cl0ud

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 07:04:41 pm »
Hey Spaz, if only it was like that, its more of a flicker, where the model of the plane appears to move back and forth very quickly, perhaps twice a second. It usually only happens as you get close to the tanker and it does not happens always. Multiplayer is smoother generally.

I am using an AI plane and a flight plan made using PlanG. I use airtafficfx to insert the tanker ( a pretty cool programme BTW)

Cheers, Mark

That happens because your framerate is set to unlimited, try throttling it and it'll go away. Happened to a lot of guys on the VRS forums when A-A with the K135T using AI flight plans and unlimited FPS setting. My jittering went away once I throttled framerates to 50.

neutrino

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 08:31:20 pm »
Here it is. By the way, I have the same probleme with the plat cam for the carrier.

Tomahawk

Hi, in your panel.cfg after the line:

Window03=Radio Stack

add the following two lines:

Window07=PLAT Camera
       Window08=Refueling Gauge

So it should look like this:

[Window Titles]
       Window00=Main panel
       Window01=HUD Switches
       Window02=GPS
       Window03=Radio Stack
       Window07=PLAT Camera
       Window08=Refueling Gauge

This will fix the problem  :)

Tomahawk

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 12:18:07 pm »
Thank you now it works

mfG Tomahawk

frenchie88

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 04:37:50 pm »
This is how to fill your cockpit with fuel. Just cant seem to keep the speed steady.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:35:54 pm by frenchie88 »

Whynot

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2011, 06:40:19 pm »
Hello,

Thanks to Neutrino for this fantastic gauge!

Need some help please, just beginner in xml.

I would like to have the possibility to refuel behind other aircrafts with pods under each wings. I placed a selector showing witch pod on wich aircraft I would like to be under, changing a routine called (L:ACFT_SEL, enum) and I don't know the syntax to assign the right value according my acft_sel routine value for this macro:

<Macro Name="Probe_Hor_Asp">1.0</Macro>

I just want to say;

If (L:ACFT_SEL, enum) 0 == macro is 1.0, If (L:ACFT_SEL, enum) 1 == macro is 2.3, etc...

Sure it's basic for all of xml writers, but I have no this base...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Philippe