Author Topic: KIAH Crashing Couatl  (Read 1354 times)

downscc

KIAH Crashing Couatl
« on: June 01, 2023, 07:25:04 pm »
Attempting to load a PMDG B739 at KIAH Gate C-3.  Repeated message that couatl crashed unable to restart.  Text of couatl.err:

couatl v4.8 (build 5200)
panic log started on Thu Jun  1 12:20:05 2023

problem raised by addon <unknown>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File ".\common\modelCustomization.py", line 1029, in setJetwayAirlineCode
  File ".\common\modelCustomization.py", line 1073, in getModelForCouatlType
  File ".\common\modelCustomization.py", line 1042, in getModelsForCouatlType
  File ".\common\criticalsection.py", line 23, in _synchronized
  File ".\common\modelCustomization.py", line 721, in _cache
  File ".\python27\shelve.py", line 243, in open
  File ".\python27\shelve.py", line 227, in __init__
  File ".\python27\anydbm.py", line 85, in open
  File ".\python27\dumbdbm.py", line 253, in open
  File ".\python27\dumbdbm.py", line 77, in __init__
  File ".\python27\dumbdbm.py", line 91, in _update
  File ".\python27\ast.py", line 49, in literal_eval
  File ".\python27\ast.py", line 37, in parse
TypeError: compile() expected string without null bytes
{'Airport': 'KIAH'}

RESOLVED:  To use an old maintenance phrase, no trouble found.  Two days later, set up a logging file and launched MSFS with a PMDG -900ER at KIAH Gate C-9 no problem.  Used GSX to operate jetways no problem.  Relocated to C-3, the scene of the earlier crash, no problem.  I'll keep the logging running for awhile just to be sure.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 08:01:35 pm by downscc »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KIAH Crashing Couatl
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 03:19:36 pm »
I think what might have happened, is that you were calling GSX too quickly when, because of an update, it was still creating the model cache (a database that will allow to call models quickly without having to scan all available ones each time), so the cache wasn't ready yet.

That's why it never happened again, once the cache is ready. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds extra, and only the first time after new objects/operators has been added to GSX.

downscc

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 05:50:35 pm »
To be precise, I don't call GSX immediately after the airplane loads and I click FLY; rather, GSX main menu always opens automatically.  I don't see anything in the manual's settings section that allows me to inhibit that behavior.  Not a problem, I usually ignore it until I call for services.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 11:38:47 am »
rather, GSX main menu always opens automatically.  I don't see anything in the manual's settings section that allows me to inhibit that behavior. 

That's because it's an inherited behavior that is common to every Toolbar: if you exited a flight with the Toolbar panel Active (even if it's hidden), the sim will save that preference automatically, and won't reopen it on the next flight so, to prevent that, just exit a flight with the GSX Toolbar icon Inactive, that's another reason why we suggest this workflow in the manual:

This is now your normal workflow should be:

• Open the GSX menu from the Toolbar icon when first starting Ground services.
• Don’t close it from the Toolbar while Ground services are performed, always use the Hot-key or the X icon to close the menu.
• Close the menu using the Toolbar icon when you are done with Ground services, usually before take-off.