Author Topic: NATOPS Mission Group  (Read 21689 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
NATOPS Mission Group
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:40:59 am »
Hey Fellas...

Here's the rough plan.  In Saturdays afternoon session, I will host a FSX multiplayer "NATOPS Mission Group" that will use the SFCarrier2 mission in conjunction with the Sludge Basic Hornet.  We will first try to use Gamespy in-game comms, w/3 base frequencies:  CATCC/AirBoss - 124.0, Paddles - 128.0 , Tanker - 132.0.  Then we will try using TeamSpeak, using a similar system of 3 programmed channels (same as above), that are selectable w/Function keys and activated using a PushToTalk button.  There will be instructions on how to download/program TeamSpeak prior to flight time.  Will ask after both sessions are complete, which comm system is better based on player opinions.

This NATOPS session will be styled for pro-wanna-be's but is not exclusive to players that are familiar with Navy Carrier Procedures and Landing.  If you have the desire to learn and wanna join the session, you are welcome to come in and give it a whirl.  I, or others in the session, can teach "on the fly" navy carrier pattern/landing procedures... For newcomers, if you have difficulty at first but still like the concept and want to learn, stay patient, keep practicing inside the session and feel free to ask questions at any time.

For FSX Navy Carrier OPS veterans, employ the same practices we have talked about and also be ready to help anybody that needs it.

For all players, when you select your Sludge Basic, please update the "details" Tail Number and Flight Number both w/your initials and modex.  So for me, Christian Snow - modex 202, its CS202 for Tail Number and Flight Number w/NAVY or MARINE selected for the Airline Call Sign box.  For those of you that dont have a "modex", make up one anywhere from 100-700.  Current modexes in use: 202, 302, 518, 207, 301, 199, 285, 300, 256, 401.

If anybody has anything else to offer or suggest, Im open to all requests.

Later
Sludge

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
Re: NATOPS Mission Group
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:47:40 am »
Hey Sludge

SOB301 will be there tonight might need to join the session a bit later but will try and have everything setup i.e. teamspeak etc... before hand so that I dont waste anybodys time ..looking forward to it ..how are you going to monitor all 3 frequencies at once ..assuming that you will be airboss catcc/paddles and tanker pilot/boomoperator does fsx have the facility to do that or teamspeak ? My guess is we will have to still coordinate things through skype first as a general chat channel until everyone is fluent with radio procedures.

Seeya later
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Paco

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 01:08:25 pm »
Sludge,

Are we using TS2 or TS3?  What's the server IP for TS?   I agree, let's try to use the in-game comms first.

/r,
Paco aka 518

Paco

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 01:11:20 pm »
Sludge,

We also need a ground/common freq for when we spawn and take off to the carrier, how about 121.8.  Which just happens to be the ground freq for KSFO.

Paco

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:16:17 pm »
Sonova...

Cool.  Im heading out to golf at the range now.  Will be up and running around 2pm US Central Daylight Time (GMT -5).  Yeah, if you can get TS3 Client setup beforehand that would be great.  Raz's tutorial video works pretty good for initial setup.  As far as in-game Gamespy, as Paco said, Ill put out the GROUND freq of 121.8, along with the previously listed freqs.  For the Tanker freq, thats only there right now as a "player coordination freq", for the players going to tank to talk to each other.  Dont have enough for boom operator or tanker pilot yet.  I will do CATCC/Airboss, as Ill host the FSX session and Raz will do Paddles for now.  We'll probly switch that up as the day goes, and also, if youre a player parked on the deck and you want to try either... youre welcome to do it.  COPY ALL, SOB301!!

Paco...

We are gonna use TS3.  When I get online or if you see Raz (Duncan) in the Skype server, ask him for the IP, then favorite that.  I dont have it immediately available and once I get back online from my range session today, Ill make a new Skype chat forum for "NATOPS Mission Group".  Also, on TS3, he built 3 in-game channels and one out-of-game "coordination" channel.  Thats easily modifyable to add the "ground" channel you brought up.  Great idea, btw.

Gotta run, will be back online around 2.
Later
Sludge

Razgriz

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:37:30 pm »
Sonova...

Cool.  Im heading out to golf at the range now.  Will be up and running around 2pm US Central Daylight Time (GMT -5).  Yeah, if you can get TS3 Client setup beforehand that would be great.  Raz's tutorial video works pretty good for initial setup.  As far as in-game Gamespy, as Paco said, Ill put out the GROUND freq of 121.8, along with the previously listed freqs.  For the Tanker freq, thats only there right now as a "player coordination freq", for the players going to tank to talk to each other.  Dont have enough for boom operator or tanker pilot yet.  I will do CATCC/Airboss, as Ill host the FSX session and Raz will do Paddles for now.  We'll probly switch that up as the day goes, and also, if youre a player parked on the deck and you want to try either... youre welcome to do it.  COPY ALL, SOB301!!

Paco...

We are gonna use TS3.  When I get online or if you see Raz (Duncan) in the Skype server, ask him for the IP, then favorite that.  I dont have it immediately available and once I get back online from my range session today, Ill make a new Skype chat forum for "NATOPS Mission Group".  Also, on TS3, he built 3 in-game channels and one out-of-game "coordination" channel.  Thats easily modifyable to add the "ground" channel you brought up.  Great idea, btw.

Gotta run, will be back online around 2.
Later
Sludge

TS:
Address:69.138.175.244
Port:9987

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:43:36 am »
Great session today.  For sure we are gonna use TeamSpeak3 w/the IP that Raz provided.  Once its setup, its real easy to use and the comms are clear.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 09:34:31 pm »
OK, fellas...

This weekend was a really good flight.  Ironed out some personal details/system flaws (setting TS3 hotkeys/fsx button conflicts) and learned about what needs to be done to get a person setup with TS3, then up and running.  Also, it takes a minimum of four players to make the session worthwhile.  1 to do CATCC/AirBoss, 2 does Paddles, the other two can fly the pattern and land.  The more players we get, the more realistic and crowded, carrier flight ops will become.  Just so you know, CATCC is Carrier Air Traffic Control Center, pronounced "catsee", and is used when aircraft are in the pattern.  The "AirBoss" part of that freq. is used when aircraft are on the deck and looking for launch (cat1-4) clearance.  If any of the real boat aviators have corrections, let me know...

Now for everyone (whether you are a knowledgeable vet or a rookie new to realistic carrier ops), I will put out the following for standardization when flying w/NATOPS mission group.

Times to be on CATCC/AirBoss freq: 1- After takeoff, and pushed by Flight Lead. 2- When in the carrier pattern, not cleared to land and not going to tank. 3- After successful trap, tailhook up, push CATCC/AirBoss. 4- After Bolter, call "bolter, bolter" on Paddles, full mil power, start climb to 600ft, right turn to BRC, push CATCC/AirBoss.  Announce "(modex) 202, back with you."

Times to be on Paddles freq:  1- After making Abeam call "202, Abeam, gear down, hook down", and being cleared to land and push Paddles by CATCC/AirBoss "202, cleared to land, push Paddles". 2- After making Abeam call, and being cleared to land as #2 behind an aircraft (which shouldve already called "at the 90" before you push over to Paddles) on turn for final.

Times to be on Tank freq:  1- When pushed by Flight Lead. 2- When on CATCC/AirBoss freq, low fuel state (3k or below) and cleared to push Tank by CATCC/AirBoss.

As a caveat, the Tank freq is for receiver aircraft coordination only as it will be impractical for the time being to have a "Boom Operator" managing the Tank freq.  When you push to Tank, make sure that you announce yourself (ie, "202, 1.8, up on Tank") so if someone else is up, they know your fuel state and you're on the freq for coordination.

Thats it for now.  As always, anyone who has suggestions or modifications, send them my way and will evaluate.
Later
Sludge

Razgriz

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:08:48 pm »
OK, fellas...

This weekend was a really good flight.  Ironed out some personal details/system flaws (setting TS3 hotkeys/fsx button conflicts) and learned about what needs to be done to get a person setup with TS3, then up and running.  Also, it takes a minimum of four players to make the session worthwhile.  1 to do CATCC/AirBoss, 2 does Paddles, the other two can fly the pattern and land.  The more players we get, the more realistic and crowded, carrier flight ops will become.  Just so you know, CATCC is Carrier Air Traffic Control Center, pronounced "catsee", and is used when aircraft are in the pattern.  The "AirBoss" part of that freq. is used when aircraft are on the deck and looking for launch (cat1-4) clearance.  If any of the real boat aviators have corrections, let me know...

Now for everyone (whether you are a knowledgeable vet or a rookie new to realistic carrier ops), I will put out the following for standardization when flying w/NATOPS mission group.

Times to be on CATCC/AirBoss freq: 1- After takeoff, and pushed by Flight Lead. 2- When in the carrier pattern, not cleared to land and not going to tank. 3- After successful trap, tailhook up, push CATCC/AirBoss. 4- After Bolter, call "bolter, bolter" on Paddles, full mil power, start climb to 600ft, right turn to BRC, push CATCC/AirBoss.  Announce "(modex) 202, back with you."

Times to be on Paddles freq:  1- After making Abeam call "202, Abeam, gear down, hook down", and being cleared to land and push Paddles by CATCC/AirBoss "202, cleared to land, push Paddles". 2- After making Abeam call, and being cleared to land as #2 behind an aircraft (which shouldve already called "at the 90" before you push over to Paddles) on turn for final.

Times to be on Tank freq:  1- When pushed by Flight Lead. 2- When on CATCC/AirBoss freq, low fuel state (3k or below) and cleared to push Tank by CATCC/AirBoss.

As a caveat, the Tank freq is for receiver aircraft coordination only as it will be impractical for the time being to have a "Boom Operator" managing the Tank freq.  When you push to Tank, make sure that you announce yourself (ie, "202, 1.8, up on Tank") so if someone else is up, they know your fuel state and you're on the freq for coordination.

Thats it for now.  As always, anyone who has suggestions or modifications, send them my way and will evaluate.
Later
Sludge

Just a little suggestion, once an aircraft states his low fuel state to CATCC, CATCC should assign him a tanker.

Example Dialog:

203: CATCC, 203, fuel 1.8, requesting tanker.
CATCC:  203, roger, standby.
203: 203
CATCC: 217, cleared for takeoff, cat 3.  After takeoff, initiate right hand clearing turn, climb to Angels 3 and await further instructions.
217: 217
CATCC: 203 and 217, push tank.

Anyone feel free to correct.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 06:37:31 pm »
Just a little suggestion, once an aircraft states his low fuel state to CATCC, CATCC should assign him a tanker.

I will probly use some of what you said, in conjunction with giving point outs to the Tanker before pushing players to the Tank freq.

And just for player's knowledge, a "clearing turn" is 10 deg right/left turn (depending on what Cat) that you take once you are on a steady gear up/flaps up climbout attitude heading out from the carrier to do something else (ie Tanking, Formation, Free Flight, Bombing Practice, etc.) other than remaining in the pattern.

If you remain in the pattern to work on trapping, when you take off from the Cat, on steady attitude (+150 kts, +5 deg v/vector nose up), turn to BRC (usually 277 deg) til you reach 600 ft AGL and at least 1.0 TCN, then start 30 AoB left hand turn to enter the pattern.

Ive also figured out the timing for the turn to final.  When you make the Abeam call and get cleared for landing and push Paddles, make your 30 AoB turn to final.  That should take no more than six seconds and if you are on-speed (yellow donut,150 kts or less), the pattern should work out just right.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:45:40 pm by Sludge »

Razgriz

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 07:08:01 pm »

I will probly use some of what you said, in conjunction with giving point outs to the Tanker before pushing players to the Tank freq.

And just for player's knowledge, a "clearing turn" is 10 deg right/left turn (depending on what Cat) that you take once you are on a steady gear up/flaps up climbout attitude heading out from the carrier to do something else (ie Tanking, Formation, Free Flight, Bombing Practice, etc.) other than remaining in the pattern.

If you remain in the pattern to work on trapping, when you take off from the Cat, on steady attitude (+150 kts, +5 deg v/vector nose up), turn to BRC (usually 277 deg) til you reach 600 ft AGL and at least 1.0 TCN, then start 30 AoB left hand turn to enter the pattern.

Ive also figured out the timing for the turn to final.  When you make the Abeam call and get cleared for landing and push Paddles, make your 30 AoB turn to final.  That should take no more than six seconds and if you are on-speed (yellow donut,150 kts or less), the pattern should work out just right.

Later
Sludge

The clearing turn is executed as soon as the pilot gets his hand on the stick, then the gear, and then flaps at 230.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 08:41:28 pm »
The clearing turn is executed as soon as the pilot gets his hand on the stick, then the gear, and then flaps at 230.

Yeah, but for FSX gaming sake, since you have your hands already on the stick and throttle the whole way and we dont have carrier launch auto uptrim settings or actual G-forces, I would say a good compromise would be:  launch... off the boat, pull up, gear up, after established on steady climb, clearing turn... flaps up, and away you go.  Yes?  No?
And I would say do it this way, cause CV NATOPS says:  "From launch, bolter, or touch and go, corrections to parallel the BRC shall not be attempted until a definite climb has been established."  My guess is that its this way for safety of flight, loosely meaning "make sure your aircraft can fly and sustain a climb before executing a turn."

Also, for gaming's sake, Im thinking about using "Tower" or "Boss" for everything within the pattern we do.  I mean, CV NATOPS also says that AirBoss has responsibility for everything on the deck out to 5nm, surface to unlimited.  And since we are just using this mostly for local carrier ops within 5nm, that we can just rename the freq "PriFly" and go by "Boss" or "Tower".  I think Paco was doing that Saturday?  That would work for me.  I thought CATCC controlled in the air, but after reading CV NATOPS, Im probly wrong and CATCC doesnt deal with aircraft til AirBoss passes them off/receives them at 5nm?

Stretch, if you're not busy mission planning/flying hops IRL (strike SNA's life is never slow), any inputs on all of this would be welcome.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:44:46 pm by Sludge »

Razgriz

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 09:11:22 pm »
Well if you want to take your time, go ahead.  I'm more of the total hardcore, so I'll probably execute the clearing turn ASAP.  It doesn't really matter to me, as long as the turn is executed within I'd say ~5 seconds after going airborne.

Edit:

500th post, Hero member.  :D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:06:53 pm by Razgriz »

Afterburn93

• "I've got this thing floored!"
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 02:39:25 am »
Well if you want to take your time, go ahead.  I'm more of the total hardcore, so I'll probably execute the clearing turn ASAP.  It doesn't really matter to me, as long as the turn is executed within I'd say ~5 seconds after going airborne.

Yeah, if you look at a hornet takeoff like this one:

It is around 3-4 seconds as you said. What I like to do is immediately start the turn, literally just when I get airborne.

A/B
Benjamin "Afterburn" Rothstein (A/B, Candlewacs)

"Is that an Uzi in your handbag... or are you just pleased to see me?"

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 04:44:52 pm »
A/B...

Great video.  Nails the point.  I agree with 3 seconds because it shouldnt take anymore than that to do ALL of what was discussed earlier.  Even in the video, you can see the jet launch, pull up, and maintain his climb for about a full second, then turn out.  I hope nobody thought everything I talked about doing took more than 3 seconds, cause it doesnt.

Raz...
I agree, any way you wanna do it, since within FSX we dont have "cold" cats or engine loss on takeoff, its pilot's discretion... so no big deal, as long as the turn gets done.

BTW, not to open up another "Hornet's Nest", but IF we get the SuperBug tomorrow (yes, I said tomorrow), are all the SuperBug buyers up for running a session of 4 or more tomorrow nite?  If so, I say we get at least four, just start up a session, jump in and go from there.  Basically, I just want to see how the session will handle 4 or more Bugs.

Now, Ive never owned the SuperBug, so are there options for a hot start and launch?  I can learn to do cold start procedures on my own time, just wanting to know if we can get in a scenario up and running.  Would do that just to get into a multi session and flying and see how the bird flies.  Also, anyone gonna be up at midnite waiting?

Later
Sludge