Author Topic: No building again  (Read 6655 times)

jlaporte

No building again
« on: April 01, 2010, 08:40:01 pm »
Hello,

I had an issue yesterday and spent the whole day trying to fix it.
My buildings disapeared on both KLAS and KJFK (the two airports I own for now).
I don't have any antivirus on my sim computer, and no amount of uninstall reinstall, reboot, manual cleaning did anything.

I was able to solve the issue by remembering that earlier during the day because of some problems with a scenery from sombody else I deleted my FSX.cfg file and let the simulator generate a new one. Luckily I kept a backup of the old one and by putting it back my buildings were back.

So my problem is solve but I was wondering how should I proceed if I had to replace my fsx.cfg.

Sincerely,
Jeremy

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No building again
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:25:04 pm »
Luckily I kept a backup of the old one and by putting it back my buildings were back.

So my problem is solve but I was wondering how should I proceed if I had to replace my fsx.cfg.

Your backup was probably before some other modifications that corrupted it. If the scenery.cfg is corrupted, buildings will not show up.

There was also an issue we found, that is caused by a freeware scenery editor that changes the [Area] commands in the scenery.cfg (Upper Case, which is the standard), with [area] in lower case. This used to confuse our software, that didn't find the scenery but, it has been fixed in the current version so, your problem might also been caused by this, but it won't happen again if you install the scenery again, or install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager, you'll get the latest version.

jlaporte

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 02:07:40 am »
Your backup was probably before some other modifications that corrupted it. If the scenery.cfg is corrupted, buildings will not show up.

It couldn't be corruptt because I just removed my fsx.cfg and let fsx generate a new one while approving all modules. It was yesterday and I downloaded fresh version of everything for the reinstall.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 01:03:03 pm »
It couldn't be corruptt because I just removed my fsx.cfg and let fsx generate a new one while approving all modules.

Sorry, I mis-read it, it was FSX.CFG not scenery.cfg.

In this case, your problem might have been the trust system, and you would have obtained the same effect by removing all the istances of bglmanx.dll and couatl.exe from the [Trusted] section of the FSX.CFG, without having to remove the whole file. This would have triggered a new trust request as well, as if you had a new FSX.CFG. This solution has been suggested in other threads about missing buildings.

jlaporte

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 03:48:24 am »
I did read about it and removed them from the trusted section of my fsx.cfg and at the next reboot it asked me if I wanted to allow them (answer yes) but it didn't work.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:08:38 pm »
but it didn't work.

Haven't you said your problem was solved, by having FSX generate a new fsx.cfg ? There's nothing in the fsx.cfg that can affect our product, except the [Trusted] section. In any case, as been explained several times in all threads about missing buildings, when you re-trust all modules, it MIGHT happen that they'll not run the first time. You only need to try again, eventually after a Windows reboot before re-trying.

So, let's start from scratch, is your problem solved or not ?

Do you see the "Addon Manager" menu ?

Do you see the "Couatl powered plugins" menu ?

jlaporte

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:18:53 am »
Sorry if I'm comfusing,

Yes my problem is solved!

I solved it by putting my "old" fsx.cfg back.

with the new one (one generated by deleting the old one and letting fsx rebuild it) I couldn't get it working. Yes I was seeing addon manager and coualt but no building at all.

Again my problem is solved but I'm trying to figure out what I could do if I reaaly had to replace my fsx.cfg.