Author Topic: Saturday Session Ideas  (Read 17473 times)

Afterburn93

• "I've got this thing floored!"
Saturday Session Ideas
« on: March 31, 2010, 05:46:22 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know your opinions on the weekly session in regards to the VRS plane in a week. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but it seems that the session is beginning to peter out. However, with the new plane, depending on it's framerate-eating possibilities may make the session alive and well. I was thinking that for the people who don't have the VRS bug, we could do two sessions at once, with both aircraft respectively. Let me know what you think.

A/B
Benjamin "Afterburn" Rothstein (A/B, Candlewacs)

"Is that an Uzi in your handbag... or are you just pleased to see me?"

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Saturday Session Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:39:41 pm »
A/B...

Losing the people for the Saturday session is gonna happen the closer we get to summer.  I mean, Paco has his family, I have golf, and Im sure others will want to get outdoors more as the weather gets better.  Just a simple fact of life.

When I can play on saturday/sunday evenings, would be more than happy to setup two sessions for different jets.  Or whatever you think would work in the multiplayer sessions.  With the new SFCarrier mission coming out, I think FSX flying will be better for the times we can get together and fly in the multi's.

Also, think about how we can enable "radio specific" comms using the in-game radio comms instead of using Skype all the time.  Im willing to start using the in-game radios to actually have to "push" to a freq. (118.0 - 137.0 mhz, except 121.5 Guard) for CATCC or to get Paddles, than using an open Skype chat for everything.
Would rather have Skype used outside FSX to setup the sessions and iron out the details.  At FSX launching, put Skype on a low volume and use the in-game radios for comms in carrier ops.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:53:52 pm by Sludge »

Orion

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:10:09 am »
Why have two sessions?  Unless we exceed the maximum of 15 people my mission can handle, I'm totally fine flying the default FA-18 alongside the new VRS one.

Razgriz

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 01:05:26 am »
Why have two sessions?  Unless we exceed the maximum of 15 people my mission can handle, I'm totally fine flying the default FA-18 alongside the new VRS one.

Well, if the VRS lags up such a storm that it gets windy, only the brave can fly. 

In english:  In case the VRS is laggy, have a dedicated session for that and the default.

Afterburn93

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:39:54 am »
A/B...

Losing the people for the Saturday session is gonna happen the closer we get to summer.  I mean, Paco has his family, I have golf, and Im sure others will want to get outdoors more as the weather gets better.  Just a simple fact of life.

When I can play on saturday/sunday evenings, would be more than happy to setup two sessions for different jets.  Or whatever you think would work in the multiplayer sessions.  With the new SFCarrier mission coming out, I think FSX flying will be better for the times we can get together and fly in the multi's.

Also, think about how we can enable "radio specific" comms using the in-game radio comms instead of using Skype all the time.  Im willing to start using the in-game radios to actually have to "push" to a freq. (118.0 - 137.0 mhz, except 121.5 Guard) for CATCC or to get Paddles, than using an open Skype chat for everything.
Would rather have Skype used outside FSX to setup the sessions and iron out the details.  At FSX launching, put Skype on a low volume and use the in-game radios for comms in carrier ops.

Later
Sludge

Sludge,

Yes, i do realize that we will loose people, I use the term, "peter out" lightly, and "not to jump to conclusions" heavily. It isn't like it matters greatly.

As for the radios, it all depends on the preferences of other players. Thanks for the consideration for the session.

A/B

Razgriz

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:46:35 am »
A/B...

Later
Sludge

Sludge,

Yes, i do realize that we will loose people, I use the term, "peter out" lightly, and "not to jump to conclusions" heavily. It isn't like it matters greatly.

As for the radios, it all depends on the preferences of other players. Thanks for the consideration for the session.

A/B

I like the radio idea, but the comm quality is poor.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:23:30 am »
A/B...

No worries, whoever can show up will... and will just make the best of the sessions.  Although, keeping that in mind, I will try to make some evenings on the weekend.  I know I wont be able to fly with Simon and JR, which will suck cause they are alot of fun, but at least would be able to get some community multiplayer flight time in.  And Im still with you on two sessions if the SuperBug is a frame rate killer, as Duncan pointed out.

Raz...

Yeah, I know the in-game comms can suck, but sometimes they are OK.  Or if someone wants to try TeamSpeak w/different channels (ie, F7 is CATCC, F8 is Paddles), that would work too!  Would just like to get a session thats a little more hardcore for those of us that want to try it.  Again, I know that not everyone wants to, and thats no big deal, but I do want to try a session like that... and see how we do using different "pushes" for different phases of carrier ops.  Im not limiting the discussion to only in-game comms, I was bringing it up simply to think about using something other than the open skype channel we use now that gets crowded in a hurry.  Gets hard to talk over people and I would like separate comms, say for the tanker freq, CATCC, AirBoss (on carrier deck), Paddles, and an open "push" for those who are in the session but just want to mess around.

Just putting that out there, since we have talked about it, but nothing has come to pass as of yet...

Later
Sludge

Orion

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 07:13:30 am »
Well, I still have no idea how having two sessions will help in regards to having the VRS FA-18 and frame rates, but I do think having two sessions would help in a different way.  For example, Sludge may want to try being more professional and accurate to real world carrier ops in one session, while Jivko and I could go about neutrino'ing people in another.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 05:26:55 pm »
Well, the two session would be split up people who have the SuperBug and those who do not, especially if the SuperBug is a frame rate HOG, itll be just like the Sludge FX gets when there are 4+ players in one session.  Choppy and very unplayable.

The comms/realism session might be a moot point, as I will probly be at less SaturDAY sessions from here on out.  I was only giving ideas that could be done, but if nobody else is up for it, no big deal.

Later
Sludge

Madadog

• VFR Reviews
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 06:17:31 pm »
I'd probably join the session that was less procedural. What I mean is, I'd like to build up some skills before I fly with the professionals (you know who are!).

As for Sludge's idea of comms, we could use a Teamspeak server with multiple chat rooms. There could be one room for each session, and then a mutual one where pilots from both sessions can talk to each other. This way, there'd be fewer people talking simultaneously and ATC transmissions could be broadcast to people directly concerned. Another advantage of Teamspeak is its feature of holding down an assigned key to talk. This could mean that background noise could be better filtered, and we'd only hear what was broadcast while the key was depressed.
Adam "Madadog" Johnson.

“Madadog, 1.5 miles. Madadog, roger ball, yaddi, yaddi, yadda."
"Hmm...I am a bit left. Are you sure you can't move the carrier over a bit?"

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 06:37:38 pm »
Mada...

Didnt know bout the "push to talk" style of TeamSpeak.  That would work very well, along with different "rooms" for different sessions.  Im gonna download and install TeamSpeak tonite after work and see if that would be a better solution.

Thanks for the info.  TeamSpeak 3, right?
Later
Sludge

Razgriz

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 06:45:18 pm »
Mada...

Didnt know bout the "push to talk" style of TeamSpeak.  That would work very well, along with different "rooms" for different sessions.  Im gonna download and install TeamSpeak tonite after work and see if that would be a better solution.

Thanks for the info.  TeamSpeak 3, right?
Later
Sludge

Yes, teamspeak 3.  I have moderate knowledge about teamspeak, so I'm going to explore around and see if I find find a way to switch to channel X with a key press.

EDIT: Yes, its possible, and rather easy.  Should I post a tutorial?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:47:10 pm by Razgriz »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 06:51:48 pm »
Yeah, fire away with the tutorial.  Would definately go with that, if it works better.  How do you like the "push to talk" part of it?

Later
Sludge

Razgriz

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 07:24:59 pm »
Yeah, fire away with the tutorial.  Would definately go with that, if it works better.  How do you like the "push to talk" part of it?

Later
Sludge

Its great for flying.  The PTT feature is just like the red button on the back of the yoke on the C172.  You cant just be talking to your copilot and then go TOWER 322 and expect him to hear.

Afterburn93

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 09:10:33 pm »
I like the radio idea, but I also like the Madadog's idea, since it is reasonable in that the only difference is that one would have to simply push to talk. The channel idea is nice, but I just think that it may be a bit much when flying the pattern for pilots of all desire to fly professionally, having to switch through different channels every time they want to talk. But hey, I'm all for it. I am trying to be as professional as possible, but I would still like it to be more player friendly.

As for the VRS F-18, I want people to stop worrying about the framerates. REGARDLESS of how bad it actually is, it is confirmed that it will be NOWHERE NEAR as bad as Aerosoft's Falcon. I've heard from Simon, people at VRS, and Youtube. I feel very confident about it  8)

A/B