Author Topic: stand alone Addon Manager and Internet access  (Read 10596 times)

steev

stand alone Addon Manager and Internet access
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:14:24 pm »

Hallo,

My current system cannot be connected to internet (no cable...)
So in past I performed all this activation stuff by transfer the necessary codes to another computer and activated on esellerate
from there. All works fine. And the Addon Manager files I transfered also (by a notebook FS9 is installed on and this notebook could be connected to internet by WLAN...).

Then I had to copy all the files the Addon Manager loaded from internet to my no-internet system.

Now my question: Does the Addon Manager only download the necessary files from internet or will the Addon Manager exe file
install itself the necessary files to FS- installation even if not connected to internet ?

This will be important in case of FSX because here I do not have an installation on an internet accessible  computer and I want to install my purchased version of KJFK to FSX (in FS9 it works, the setup installed automatically the Addon Manager and blamed me about no connection to internet, two green bars appeared in side a small window and stuck...but it seems to work nevertheless also together with Amsterdam and KLAX from cloud9).

I hope the new version of Addon Manager does not necessary need an active internetconnection for installing the files  ???

I ´be glad  you could tell me more  ::)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: stand alone Addon Manager and Internet access
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:01:45 pm »
The Addon Manager (and any scenery) installer detects if you have an internet connection. If you have it, the needed files will be downloaded.

If not, a message will inform you about this, and local copies of the files that are included in the installer will be used instead.

steev

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 05:23:24 pm »

O.K. so I can install on my no-internet PC, you mean, thats good news.

And I will be a good adivce to download the latest Addon Manager from FSDT Homepage ?

Is it o.k. to install for FS9 the latest Addon Manager above the existing one on my system, also cloud 9 Amsterdam, KLAX and FSDT KJFK are just installed?
Or is it necessary to uninstall all this older sceneries installing new Addon Manager and then then sceneries in a chronological order new (and activate all ones new...) ? I ´ll be more glad if not necessary.
The advice on FSDT Homepage is not so clear for me, at all.

This is because I want to install my at last purchased Chicago airportscenery and perhaps I would like the new Honolulu scenery I want to install later on for both FS9 and FSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:56:37 pm »
And I will be a good adivce to download the latest Addon Manager from FSDT Homepage ?

Obvisouly yes, since you are going to install without an internet connection. This way, you'll get its latest version in any case, since the files embedded in the installer will be the same that you would get online.

Is it o.k. to install for FS9 the latest Addon Manager above the existing one on my system, also cloud 9 Amsterdam, KLAX and FSDT KJFK are just installed?

If you think your Addon Manager needs be to updated, as clearly indicated on the website, there are no problems installing over exising sceneries.

Or is it necessary to uninstall all this older sceneries installing new Addon Manager and then then sceneries in a chronological order new (and activate all ones new...) ? I ´ll be more glad if not necessary.
The advice on FSDT Homepage is not so clear for me, at all.

The FSDT home page doesn't say you need to Uninstall, which means there's no need to Uninstall. If there was any need to Uninstall, the web page would have said so.

Also, depending how old your Cloud9 installer is, you might or not need to download the full scenery installer as well. But you will see a clear warning message in FS9 or FSX about which sceneries needs to be updated, if this is the case.

The chronological order doesn't matter. But, as explained on the website, if you installed a Cloud9 scenery that doesn't have an FSDT installer, it's best to install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager at the end.

Basically, if you always install the stand-alone Addon Manager as the last thing you do, you can't go wrong.

steev

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:57:48 am »
Thank you so far answering all my questions time ago.

Concerning this some new questions arised; I set up a new system and may like to use a no cd patch for FS9.1,
avoiding to put in the CD each time.
Somewhere  in the forum I readed that the add on manager files refer to the version of the fs9.exe
and It may occur trouble, if not the original (CD neediong version) is active.
Will the downloaded (latest) add on manager (without having internet access, see my questions above)
install the right files and is there someting more to consider ?
Maybe add on manager will not work with such a patched fs9.exe anyway ?

I will be glad knowing something more.

(Sorry posting this FS9 concerning topic inside this FSX kept space, but I wanted to refer to my old posting)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:02:07 am by steev »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 11:50:05 am »
Somewhere  in the forum I readed that the add on manager files refer to the version of the fs9.exe and It may occur trouble, if not the original (CD neediong version) is active.

That issue was fixed a long time ago: the Addon Manager installer detects which FS9.EXE you have, and install the correct version.

The only thing you can't do, is to switch from a nocd FS9.EXE to a regular FS9.EXE AFTER you install the Addon Manager. If you do this, you need to reinstall the Addon Manager, so it can detect your FS9.EXE again, and install the correct version.

steev

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »

Thank you first for this anwer,

I hope all addons (like yours) are compatible with this no cd patched fs9.exe (including PMDG,LVEL D etc. ??)
Otherwise I must switch between like you explained me.
Another Question (maybe I asked anytime before, then sorry for this) : changing addon manager files by overinstalling,
e.g. from original to no cd version, will the activations be lost and I have to refer to the offline activation procerure again or not ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 09:29:46 pm »
changing addon manager files by overinstalling,
e.g. from original to no cd version, will the activations be lost and I have to refer to the offline activation procerure again or not ?

As explained in all threads and pages about activation: there's only one way to lost the activation, and it's to reinstall Windows or change major hardware components. Nothing you can do to Flight sim (uninstalling it, reinstalling it, corrupt it, etc.) will never affect the activation.

Of course, playing with the Addon Manager, removing or making something that will prevent it to work, will stop the sceneries from be visible but, the activation would never been lost.

steev

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:42:21 pm »
Of course, playing with the Addon Manager, removing or making something that will prevent it to work, will stop the sceneries from be visible but, the activation would never been lost.

O.K. thank you so far explaining once again.
So the activation code received from esellerate manual activation side is transfered into Windows registry and not into the Addon Manager
files. So there must be two entries inside Win registry; registration code of the scenery and activation code from esellerate referring to the registration code of the scenery by Addon Manager, if I understand this correctly ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 09:36:20 pm »
So there must be two entries inside Win registry; registration code of the scenery and activation code from esellerate referring to the registration code of the scenery by Addon Manager, if I understand this correctly ?

Yes, the Serial Number registry entry is tied to an Esellerate activation registry entry for it, which is tied to your hardware.

If your hardware changes or you are installing on a different computer, the Esellerate activation will become invalid, and a new one will be obtained (either online of offline), up the limit of 6 activations, after that we need to be contacted for a reactivation.