Author Topic: Coualt with KCLT?  (Read 2025 times)

B777ER

Coualt with KCLT?
« on: February 19, 2023, 05:38:33 pm »
Is that program coualt installed with KCLT? I don't care for it to always be running in the background even if not flying into or out of KCLT. Thanks
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Coualt with KCLT?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 11:07:55 am »
I already replied to you in another post about what GSX/Couatl adds to the airport.

And in addition to that, the MSFS version of Couatl has been designed to be quit and restarted so no, even if you think it will cause problems by "running in the background", you don't have to run it, except when you need it.

B777ER

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 10:42:06 pm »
I already replied to you in another post about what GSX/Couatl adds to the airport.

And in addition to that, the MSFS version of Couatl has been designed to be quit and restarted so no, even if you think it will cause problems by "running in the background", you don't have to run it, except when you need it.

What other thread? I just posted in the main forum yesterday because I didn’t get a reply here? I’m confused by your response.
Eric

Jetlover747

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 09:43:34 am »
Couatl doesn't do anything until you land at an airport, at which point it starts running GSX features - the GSX menu, parking selection, and eventually the marshaller/VDGS and ground services. It isn't needed when you're flying, so if you want to, you can go to Task Manager (search Task Manager in the Windows search) and under Background Processes, Couatl should appear. Right-click on the icon, and click End Task. This will quit Couatl. Then, before you land, start Couatl via the "Start Couatl for GSX MSFS" shortcut on your desktop.

WARNING:
I often have issues with starting Couatl after I have ended its task. If you really care that much, shut it down, but often it doesn't start and GSX services will not work upon landing. If you are asking about this so as to remove all the services after takeoff (for performance reasons etc), just open the GSX menu and hit "Restart Couatl". This will get rid of anything GSX has injected into the world. It will then add things back in when you land and select a parking.

B777ER

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 01:17:44 am »
Couatl doesn't do anything until you land at an airport, at which point it starts running GSX features - the GSX menu, parking selection, and eventually the marshaller/VDGS and ground services. It isn't needed when you're flying, so if you want to, you can go to Task Manager (search Task Manager in the Windows search) and under Background Processes, Couatl should appear. Right-click on the icon, and click End Task. This will quit Couatl. Then, before you land, start Couatl via the "Start Couatl for GSX MSFS" shortcut on your desktop.

WARNING:
I often have issues with starting Couatl after I have ended its task. If you really care that much, shut it down, but often it doesn't start and GSX services will not work upon landing. If you are asking about this so as to remove all the services after takeoff (for performance reasons etc), just open the GSX menu and hit "Restart Couatl". This will get rid of anything GSX has injected into the world. It will then add things back in when you land and select a parking.

I don’t use GSX. That’s the reason I initially asked. Umberto says he answered me in another thread but he is imagining things as he most certainly has me confused with someone else. I simply wanted to know if coualt is installed and runs if the only thing I have from FSDT is their KCLT scenery. For crying out loud can it be this bloody damn difficult to just get a simple answer of yes or no from the developer? Why is this so bloody difficult?
Eric

Jetlover747

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 04:38:14 am »
I do not think Couatl is used for anything in FSDT sceneries - and if it does, it isn't critical. My copy of FSDT KORD runs fine even if I have quite Couatl. To close it, go ahead and open Task Manager and find it in Background Processes. Right-click and click End Task. THat will kill it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 06:04:21 pm »
To close it, go ahead and open Task Manager and find it in Background Processes. Right-click and click End Task. THat will kill it.

Quoting from the manual, Page 78:

we made lots of changes in the MSFS version, which has been designed to be restarted, exited and re-entered multiple times with no issues. In fact, considering you might not need to use GSX after takeoff, it might even be a good idea to just Exit from it shortly after takeoff, and restart it before or shortly after landing, when you need it. To make this process easier, we added a Tray-bar Icon for it

With Page 81 having a dedicated paragraph named "The Couatl Tray Icon", which explains how much easier is to Quit/Restart Couatl in MSFS, compared to previous versions.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 06:13:17 pm »
I don’t use GSX. That’s the reason I initially asked. Umberto says he answered me in another thread but he is imagining things as he most certainly has me confused with someone else.

I'm not "imagining things", and I not obviously confusing you with somebody else, since I DID made a proper reply to your other post in the General section but, for some reason ( possibly related to the fact I was in vacation with a spotty Wi-fi connection in my Hotel ), I just noticed now my answer disappeared.

My disappeared post explained what GSX/Couatl is used for in our sceneries that use it and, right now, it's basically mostly the VGDS systems. If the reasoning of your question was to know if GSX/Couatl is "mandatory" to use a scenery, it really depends how much value you put in that feature.

For me, a scenery like KORD, KCLT, LSZH, which contains dozen or even hundreds ( in case of KORD ) of VGDS, is seriously crippled without GSX because, instead of the proper VGDS, you will only get the default MSFS Marshaller.

But again, only you can decide if the completely zero impact of Couatl "running in the background" with the addition how much easier is to Quit/Restart it in MSFS, is worth to lose VGDS. And of course, we might likely add other features, because before GSX came out, all these airports had extra features we lost when we moved them to MSFS, which were all obtained with Couatl/GSX.

Of course, just like FSX/P3D, using GSX in an FSDT scenery is free: if you have an active license of ANY FSDT scenery, you can install GSX without an activation key, so it will work on all FSDT airports in full, plus 3 extra Trial airports. By purchasing GSX for MSFS, you'll be able to use it everywhere.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 06:15:35 pm by virtuali »