Author Topic: Need to run GSX update each time before starting FSX!  (Read 634 times)

stratocruiser

Need to run GSX update each time before starting FSX!
« on: February 03, 2023, 07:33:48 pm »
Hi,
I recently found that GSX/coatl will not load (not present in the FSX drop down addon menu) when I start FSX unless I first run the GSX Live Update. Previously this had not been a problem, with GSX and all my FSDT airports functioning perfectly. I did wonder if this issue might possibly have been caused by a power cut while using FSX a few days beforehand and which might have caused some files to become corrupted, but around the same time, I had also updated the FSDT Installer to the latest version so I wasn't sure what was responsible.

I searched the forums for a solution and did wonder whether it was caused by the anti-virus, as suggested in many threads, although both anti-virus and firewall have always been configured to exclude the relevant files and the problem had not occurred previously. However I decided that the best option would probably be to do a clean reinstall of all my FSDT products and I therefore uninstalled GSX, all of my FSDT airports and the Addon Manager. I noted however that the Addon Manager, which is on my D drive, did not uninstall so I manually deleted it and also deleted the C:Users/Bill/AppData/Roaming/Virtuali folder to allow a clean reinstall as I hoped. I then carried out a full reinstall of all my FSDT products with McAfee antivirus and firewall turned off just to be certain.

However despite reinstalling everything as per the guidelines in various threads the problem persists and I still need to run the GSX update before I start FSX or the FSDT products won't function. This is the case even if I leave my anti-virus and firewall turned off. Once I run the update GSX functions perfectly as do all the FSDT airports!

Although running the update each time is not a huge issue, it would be good if I didn't have to. I appreciate that FSX is an old platform and Win7-64 bit is an outdated OS but I otherwise have a very smoothly functioning FSX and would be very grateful for any advice that would allow my FSDT products to function without having to run the update each time.

Many thanks,
Bill

evanhunnik

Re: Need to run GSX update each time before starting FSX!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 06:24:08 pm »
I am experiencing the same problem in FSX.  I often have to restart COATL because GSX has gotten stuck while being used.  I have also searched all over for this and have found no solution, and no help

Sierraaero

Re: Need to run GSX update each time before starting FSX!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 03:15:54 am »
I'm also having the same problem, but in P3D v4.5. I recently had to repair P3D, and it rebuild the xml files, as always. I figured I would fix it by running live update and, after that, it stopped working.

One thing I noticed is that when the GSX menu doesn't load, in Addon Manager, both products (in my case GSX + Level 2) are in TRIAL MODE, which is really odd, but understandable as the couatl engine is not running or stuck in the notification bar.
I asked about it a couple of days ago here https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,29803.0.html, and got no answer.

I also saw the same problem in this post from 2020 (https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=23739.0), but they solved it via PM and didn't share a solution.