Author Topic: Multiple runways for landing and deparating  (Read 22470 times)

anappy

Multiple runways for landing and deparating
« on: March 17, 2010, 02:28:55 am »
I might be wrong on this but doesnt the RW honolulu use all the runways at a time for takeoff and arrivals? I may be wrong though can anyone verify this? If yes then can FSDT replicate this. I have landed and taken off only on the 4's and the 8's ever and I only tokeoff rwy 8L one and landed there once.

flyerkg

Re: Multiple runways for landing and deparating
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:15:38 am »
You are correct about the multiple runway usage at PHNL. On two occasions earlier this month I arrived on RWY 8L and departed on RWY 8R by way of Boeing 777 and 767-400 aircraft. There may be a few different techniques available to getting multiple runways to work in FSX. I'm not exactly sure of the best way to do this. In the past I have made multiple airport files with only select runways available. Some airports that I have worked with do not comply with closed runway options nor the weight limit options.

anappy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 05:49:36 am »
You are correct about the multiple runway usage at PHNL. On two occasions earlier this month I arrived on RWY 8L and departed on RWY 8R by way of Boeing 777 and 767-400 aircraft. There may be a few different techniques available to getting multiple runways to work in FSX. I'm not exactly sure of the best way to do this. In the past I have made multiple airport files with only select runways available. Some airports that I have worked with do not comply with closed runway options nor the weight limit options.
well I just bought FSDT LAS(great work by the way) and they use have all the rwys working there

anappy

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:47:57 pm »
I found an AFCAD for this but will that mean the buildings go away again?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:12:06 pm »
There's no need to change any file: the AFCAD supplied with PHNL supports multiple runways already.

anappy

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:34:34 pm »
There's no need to change any file: the AFCAD supplied with PHNL supports multiple runways already.
Yes, but everytime I have flown there never once have I taken off 4R and seen a/c landing on the 8's or vice versa.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:54:45 pm »
Yes, but everytime I have flown there never once have I taken off 4R and seen a/c landing on the 8's or vice versa.

Since FSX always gives precedence to runways with an ILS approach, you will not see landings on 8R or 26's. The only other runway that might be active together with 4R would be 8L.

But, you should really use the default AFCAD that comes with the current version. Because, that version doesn't have any approaches inside, it uses the default ones. But, if you modify the file, and use an AFCAD editor that sets the "DeleteAllApproaches=true" parameter when saving the AFCAD back, you will LOSE all the Approaches, because that command will make the default ones to be ignored, and with no approaches in the PHNL AFCAD, there will be an approaches at all so, ATC will just use the first available runway in the list, which is 4R.

You can easily check if your approaches are correct using the default GPS. If they are there, it means everything's fine.

bkircher

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:51:48 pm »
Ive only been instructed to land at 4R as well.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:24:47 am »
Ive only been instructed to land at 4R as well.

The active runway is selected depending how much tailwind component you have, but is also related to other factors, like airplane weight, runway position, approach direction, etc.

Since 4R and 8L are not so different in heading, a stronger wind might be necessary to force the selection to the other one.

anappy

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 01:40:37 am »
I have taken off the 8's a couple times. But my question was will installing another AFCAD make the buildings disappear?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 11:16:28 am »
I have taken off the 8's a couple times. But my question was will installing another AFCAD make the buildings disappear?

The buildings are not controlled by the AFCAD. But, of course, as already explained, if you install another AFCAD, it must be made for our PHNL and not obviously for the default one or for another scenery, otherwise you'll see BOTH buildings.

And, as also already explained, if you just want to edit our own AFCAD, you need to be sure the editor you use doesn't set the "DeleteAllApproaches=true" parameter when it saves the file back, otherwise you'll lose all approaches, since the AFCAD we provide doesn't contain any approaches, and relies on the default ones, which will be ignored if that parameter is set to True. But Approaches don't have any effect on buildings.

anappy

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 05:22:47 pm »
Ok thanks. I just won't do anything I guess. To bad would love to see all the runways in use

b742f

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 08:41:42 am »
I've only been able to takeoff from runway 8R, never allowed to "select alternative runway" other than 8L
Even if winds are favorable for either runway 8 and 4.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 09:32:54 am »
I've only been able to takeoff from runway 8R, never allowed to "select alternative runway" other than 8L.

Since there are other users in this thread that are saying they are always assigned to the 4s, assuming you are all using the AFCAD that comes with the scenery, it's clear that it supports multiple runways.

If you are not allowed to request the other runways manually from the ATC, can be caused if you modifed the AFCAD yourself and used an AFCAD editor that sets the "DeleteAllApproaches=true" parameter when saving the AFCAD back, you will LOSE all the Approaches.

Even if winds are favorable for either runway 8 and 4.

As already explained, in order for a runway to be discarded, it's not enough for winds to be just favorable to the other one, they need to be favorable with a enough margin to offset the overall runway assignment score.

b742f

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 10:17:03 am »
I haven't edited the afcad file but just to be sure I reinstalled. I understand how FS assigns runways, but in every other airport including your other sceneries, I can request runways on the ground or in the air.