Author Topic: Downgrading graphics for better FPS  (Read 4295 times)

Jonmarshall

Downgrading graphics for better FPS
« on: March 09, 2010, 03:38:07 am »
Hello,

I just tried your new airport and I must say im impressed.
There's one thing that stops me buying it is the poor performance I get with my computer. I get a good rig but can't hardly get more than 15 FPS flying my PMDG aircrafts!
It may be good for smaller aircrafts but for airliners it's a no go!

Maybe by downgrading some eye-candy not important graphics that uses more CPU would be perfect for me and many other simmers. I tried no autogen at all but C-17 are still present, cars, etc... No need for 3D taxi lights if FPS drops too much! I know that fly tampa let you choose wich graphics-performance you want.

As the new Dallas airport comming up, with the size it will be I won't be able to make it run smooth.

Could it be possible to disable such eyecandy stuff?
Thank you

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Downgrading graphics for better FPS
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 10:13:59 am »
There's one thing that stops me buying it is the poor performance I get with my computer. I get a good rig but can't hardly get more than 15 FPS flying my PMDG aircrafts!

You might just stop buying PMDG aircrafts...ok, that's a joke but, how the scenery could be at fault, if your airplane already takes down all your fps ? No scenery in the world could *increase* the fps of the PMDG airplanes, the best any scenery could do, is to lower it as little as possible.

It may be good for smaller aircrafts but for airliners it's a no go!

Most of our users runs PHNL, and all our other sceneries, which are mostly big airlines hub, with airliners.

For example, you'll find that with the Level-D 767, which is still one of the best around, the fps are consistently higher than with *that* 747. Another good airliner that is very easy on fps, is the Flight1 Super 80.

Maybe by downgrading some eye-candy not important graphics that uses more CPU would be perfect for me and many other simmers. I tried no autogen at all but C-17 are still present, cars, etc...

The C17 and the cars are not controlled by the Autogen, but the Scenery Complexity Slider.

No need for 3D taxi lights if FPS drops too much!. I know that fly tampa let you choose wich graphics-performance you want.

We don't need to have you tweak too much things because, all objects correctly respond to the Scenery Density slider, which is the correct way to do it AND, many objects have automatic optimizations buit-in, thanks to the use of the Addon Manager.

For example, 3D taxi lights automatically disappear when you don't need them, which is above a certain altitude (800 ft, I think), the same is valid for all cars, all taxilines, and most of the ground clutter objects.

If you don't see much improvements, either by turning Scenery Complexity down, or during the approach (when the objects that supposedly bring the fps down are not displayed), it's the clear proof the scenery wasn't the cause of your poor performance, but they were already low becasue of the other things you are running.

How much increase you get, by using a default airplane, for example ?

Jonmarshall

Re: Downgrading graphics for better FPS
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:27:06 pm »
Umberto,

I would like to thank you for answering kindly to the post I did.
I tried KLAS some time ago and it was working great so I decided to buy it and I must say I  am impressed by it.
Going down one notch on scenery density did a difference and now its acceptable flying my prefered PMDG aircrafts! ;)
Just wish when trying a scenery that I would have enough time to at least takeoff and land because that is when you realise how fun it is flying with the scenery installed....

One thing is that I couldnt start back fsx after I bought it so I had to install the setup addon managerX and that was it now everything works fine. Nothing else to do like explained on some other threads, just for your information.

I would like to buy the other airports like KJFK but I noticed that ground textures looks very bad, is there a fix available for it?

Thank you and keep FSDT growing up!
Jon