Author Topic: Transfering to FSX Steam  (Read 2443 times)

Cfoley

Transfering to FSX Steam
« on: November 30, 2022, 06:56:06 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to transfer all of my FSDream Products from FSX to FSX Steam (GSX and airports).  I was using Windows 7 but had to switch to Windows 10, but my FSDreamTeam product purchases did not transfer over because I used FSX discs in my old computer and are not compatible with Windows 10, so I had to purchase FSX Steam, but my FSDT could not be transferred over.  I tried the Universal installer and also obtained all my activation keys, but in my FSX Steam, there is no Add On Manager for FSDT.  I also saw the attached box for getting my past purchases, but I don't understand the "Computer ID" question?  What goes in the box and how do I find my computer ID, what ever that may be?  I don't know if I am missing a step in getting my FSDT Products transferred to FSX Steam and why there is no Add-on Manager for FSDT. The only thing in my Add-on" in FSX Steam is  FSUIPC.

Sincerely,
CFoley
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 07:05:50 pm by Cfoley »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Transfering to FSX Steam
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 02:52:13 am »
in my FSX Steam, there is no Add On Manager for FSDT. 

This is the one and only problem. Unless you fix this, it would be completely useless to try other activation method, in your case the Offline activation.

It's not very clear what do you mean with "transfer your products" ? You mean you tried to "move" them from one sim to another ? This will never work, and will just cause a big mess. Also, there's only ONE safe way to upgrade from FSX to FSX Steam and is:

- Uninstall all your add-ons from FSX first, at least those (like FSDT) that have a proper Uninstaller.

- Uninstall the original FSX after you removed all your add-ons.

- Install the FSX-Steam version only after you are sure you removed the original FSX.

- DO NOT install any add-ons yet, but RUN FSX-Steam at least once. If you don't do that, many add-on installer will fail, because FSX Steam will create all the registry keys during its first run, this is different than the FSX DVD install.

- After you ran FSX-Steam once, you can start installing all your addons, using the own installers.

- In case of FSDT addons, be sure you use the most current version of their installer.

Cfoley

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 03:15:06 am »
On my new computer, the old  FSX is not installed. When I set the new computer up.  I purchased FSX Steam and downloaded it on my new computer.  There are no other add-on's at all on my FSX Steam.  I am trying to obtain my previous purchase downloads from FSDT and load them in FSX Steam.  The only add on manager in my Steam FSX is FSUIPC.  No other add-ons.  I did obtain my purchase "activation Keys", but don't understand how to get them into my FSX Steam.  Also,  I don't know what a "Computer ID" is or where to find it.  I hope I don't have repurchase everything because I cannot get my previous purchases into FSX Steam.

Cfoley
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 03:17:41 am by Cfoley »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 03:23:07 am »
Please re-read the first line of my reply, to you report of lacking the Addon Manager: this is the one and only problem. Unless you fix this, it would be completely useless to try other activation method, in your case the Offline activation.

Now, I might asking something obvious but, have you installed your FSDT products ? The Addon Manager won't show up unless you do that. As I've said, be sure you use the current version of the installer, not some older download you might have downloaded in the past, and be sure the antivirus is not interfering, this way:

- Configure the antivirus to add the whole Addon Manager folder ( the one you'll install all FSDT products into ) to the antivirus EXCLUSIONS

- Run all the installers and be sure the updater that runs at the end completes with no errors.

You are supposed to have the Addon Manager menu under the "Addons" menu in FSX. From there, you only need to select "Register Serial" for each product, and insert your Activation Key.

If you lost a purchase receipt, you can get it here using the "Email License Keys" option

https://qlm1.net/virtualisoftware/qlmcustomersite/

You don't need anything else other than the Activation key to activate.

Cfoley

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 06:19:01 am »
I went ahead and downloaded GSX again and once it was completed, a new problem arises.  I launch FSX Steam, and the FSX Steam screen shows up, but once the FSX music plays, the screen disappears!  But the music is still going.  Can't do anything now regarding trouble shooting this problem.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:28:48 am by Cfoley »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 11:24:24 am »
I went ahead and downloaded GSX again and once it was completed, a new problem arises.  I launch FSX Steam, and the FSX Steam screen shows up, but once the FSX music plays, the screen disappears!  But the music is still going.  Can't do anything now regarding trouble shooting this problem.

FSX:Steam sometimes does that, you can usually bring it back by pressing Alt+Enter to exit from Full screen mode, maybe using also CTRL-TAB to first bring in focus its window. I think it's somewhat related to the fact FSX is mostly a DirectX 9 application, and doesn't play nice with modern video drivers, which are all optimized for DX11/12.

Cfoley

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 09:57:33 pm »
I was able to get FSX Steam back, but when I download GSX,  it gets hung up at the installation phase and does not install.  I waited for hours to see if anything would happen until I finally just went ahead disconnected it.  (See attached).  This was my second attempt and it just sits there at the install stage for hours.

Update:  I used my registration certificate and it stated it was now "Active", I also used the Full Installer and this time it did not get hung up, but there is still nothing in my FSX Steam add on for the download.  I don't what else I should do.  Am I missing a step? I felt like I have done everything there is.

CFoley
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 02:19:19 am by Cfoley »

Cfoley

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 07:29:58 am »
I have come to the conclusion perhaps FSdreamteam products are not compatible with the latest version of Windows 10 for FSX Steam.  I seemed to have  tried everything. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 07:35:03 am by Cfoley »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 01:31:43 pm »
I have come to the conclusion perhaps FSdreamteam products are not compatible with the latest version of Windows 10 for FSX Steam.  I seemed to have  tried everything.

All FSDT installer are fully compatible both with the latest Windows 10 version, and FSX:Steam.

there is still nothing in my FSX Steam add on for the download.

You are not supposed to have anything in the Steam folder, every file related to the product will always be installed in the Addon Manager folder, and the installer will just modify the FSX.CFG to add paths for the extra Simobjects added and the DLL.XML and EXE.XML files to have the two modules starting automatically with FSX.

I also used the Full Installer and this time it did not get hung up

If the installer completed with no errors, there are no reasons why it wouldn't work. But now you haven't said what the problem is: again the black screen ? Does FSX starts now ? Do you have the Addon Manager menu and the GSX menus there ?

Cfoley

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 05:28:35 pm »
I have the addon manager in FSX Steam menu bar, but the only thing in it is FSUIPC and Level-D 767, even though the 767 is not in the selection of aircraft in FSX Steam to chose from.   No FSdreamteam add-ons are there.  I tried the universal installer and the full installer.  But in FSX Steam, none of the addons are there when I open it up in the Add-on Manager. The only add on aircraft are the QW757's, but I am having issues with that too because, I forget the what it is called, the little screen in the cockpit, is black with an the word green "Error" message on .   I have been in touch with QW forum about it, but so far nothing seems to help with that issue either.

I wanted to just stay with just FSX, not Steam, but my FSX discs would not install in my new Windows 10 computer.  I had Windows 7 with FSX before Windows 10 and everything worked fine.  A friend suggested getting FSX Steam would work better in Windows 10, but I am finding out that is not the case for me, FSX Steam loaded okay, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 06:46:23 pm by Cfoley »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 10:40:36 pm »
I have the addon manager in FSX Steam menu bar, but the only thing in it is FSUIPC and Level-D 767, even though the 767 is not in the selection of aircraft in FSX Steam to chose from.   No FSdreamteam add-ons are there. 

Please clarify, are you probably confusing "Addon Manager" with "Addons" ? Because, if you have the "Addon Manager", it IS an FSdreamteam add-on, and it's a certain kind of troubleshooting, while if you meant you have the "Addons" menu, but no Addon Manager or other FSDT menus there, it's a completely different issue.

The only add on aircraft are the QW757's, but I am having issues with that too because, I forget the what it is called, the little screen in the cockpit, is black with an the word green "Error" message on .   I have been in touch with QW forum about it, but so far nothing seems to help with that issue either.

Regarding the QW757, you only need to be sure you install it using the latest Flight1 installer, not an old QW installer that *used* to use a very outdated version of the Addon Manager that, if installed after anything recent from FSDT, will surely cause problems.

If you are sure the QW757 is only the Flight1 version, then it might indicate a problem with your FSX install ( possibly related to Simconnect runtimes ) that is equally affecting the 757 and GSX

I had Windows 7 with FSX before Windows 10 and everything worked fine.  A friend suggested getting FSX Steam would work better in Windows 10, but I am finding out that is not the case for me

We only test our products in Windows 10, there's a way to use them in Windows 7 if it's completely updated, but in Windows 10 they are way easier to install.

Cfoley

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 01:27:00 am »
I am sorry,  I meant to say my FSX "Add-ons" is in the FSX menu, but no "Add-on Manager" in the menu.   For the QW757,  I did to the the latest Flight1 installer from their current site, installed, twice, but with no results and still has the blank error screen.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 04:22:20 am by Cfoley »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 12:18:07 pm »
I am sorry,  I meant to say my FSX "Add-ons" is in the FSX menu, but no "Add-on Manager" in the menu.

You are not supposed to have the Addon Manager in the menu, it's a sub-menu of the "Add-ons" menu. What you have there, exactly ?

Cfoley

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 05:24:14 pm »
In the FSX Steam Add-on menu bar, just Level-D Simulations and FSUPC is listed in the sub menu.

Cfoley

Cfoley

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2022, 05:15:32 pm »
I don't know what is wrong.  For whatever reasons,  my add-ons are not installing in FSX Steam. I've tried just about everything and looked at other forums for all the other issues without a single result. Even though my add on menu shoes the level-D767, the aircraft is not on the aircraft selection of aircraft link in FSX.  I have been struggling for a month now trying to get various add-ons installed, without success on any of them.  I have been flight simulating for 11 years, but all these issues has killed my desire to continue on with it.  I never wanted FSX Steam to begin with,  but had no choice because my FSX discs would not install on my new Windows 10 computer.  The last 5 years with FSX had been great without any issues at all too! I enjoyed FSDreamteam products too, but I will have to accept the fact that flight simulation is over for me.  I will greatly miss it. 

CFoley 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 02:09:27 am by Cfoley »