Author Topic: GSX Pro Install - Download fails.  (Read 2811 times)

howevr

GSX Pro Install - Download fails.
« on: November 28, 2022, 02:59:46 pm »
New install using the Universal Installer.
Many attempts to download the product have failed.
No message. just gets to a specific file and stops around 1-5 percent. No error message no indication of a lock up just stops downloading.
I can see in local/temp the file currently stuck stopped at 0 bytes. TCPView shows a connection by Established by Couatl_Updater2.exe to 104.26.1.194 port 80.
I have 150GB free on C drive.
The files in question are fsdreamteam-gsx-pro.zip.001 to 005
Yesterday in was stopping mostly on file 005, today its did not go past 2% download on 003.
On one occasion only did it appear all 5 were downloaded, however that failed with Error uncompressing the archive.
I note in the local/temp folder that the first lockup this morning happened on file 003 0kb The size of 001 was 35518kb, 002 was 22911kb. I cancelled, rebooted and tried again. This time file 001 was 468750kb, 002 was 468750b and again stopped at 003 0kb.

Please advise.
Cheers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Pro Install - Download fails.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 11:09:39 am »
- Be sure you don't have a firewall blocking the connection

- Be sure you configure the antivirus and add the whole Addon Manager folder to the antivirus Exclusions

howevr

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 01:53:40 pm »
Not sure I understand your first comment. I have mentioned a connection is made to your server and it only stops when it gets to downloading the GSX Pro files. It also stops randomly on one of the files ending in 001-005. Today it stopped on 3 separate occasions on 002 4% after successfully downloading file 001. Not sure what firewall rule would cause that issue.

Re Antivirus I do have the Addon Manager folder excluded (using Microsoft builtin security software).
The Addon Manager folder on my P: drive already has 111 files in it. The files that continually fail to download are directed by your software to the users local\temp folder. I do not and will not exclude that folder.

Do you have a full install I can download and avoid these problems?

Thank you

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 02:37:29 pm »
Not sure I understand your first comment. I have mentioned a connection is made to your server

No connection is ever made to our server.

You are always connecting to your local Cloudflare node, which should normally offer a much higher speed compared as if you could possibly connect to our server directly, which would result in way lower downloads speeds for sure, assuming the server would even capable to sustain such load of many users downloading all a the same time without crashing.

That's confirmed by checking the IP you noticed the connection was made to:

https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip2-precision-demo?ip_address=+104.26.1.194

So, you are in fact connecting a a Cloudflare node in the US, as you are supposed to. As far as I can see, almost all nodes in North America are working right now, excpet a couple that has been rerouted:

https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/

Some users reported success using a VPN, for example this one is supposed to be good, and quite fully featured even in the Free version:

https://protonvpn.com/

howevr

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 12:21:17 am »
Interesting.
I used my Nord VPN account for the first time in ages to connect to their server in Seattle and was able to complete the download of all files and install without issue. Although the speed was very slow.
Thanks for the link to check Cloudflare server. I'm in Queensland Australia and the node I'm connected to appears to be in North America. Not what I would call local.

Regardless it was not a Firewall nor Antivirus issue but something we both have no control over.

Thank you for your help. Please consider making the VPN test a sticky for troubleshooting install and update issues.

Cheers
David.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 08:48:44 am »
Regardless it was not a Firewall nor Antivirus issue but something we both have no control over.

Firewall or antivirus are the most common case, that's why I always ask to check those first.

Antivirus surely can slow down or even stop the download, because it's might try to scan each partial ZIP archive as it's being downloaded, and since those contain lots of files, it might easily stall the system which won't proceed with downloading the next part until the scan is done, possibly causing a timeout.

Thanks for the link to check Cloudflare server. I'm in Queensland Australia and the node I'm connected to appears to be in North America. Not what I would call local.

That's very strange so, clearly, it's looks like Cloudflare problem, since it didn't make any sense to route you through a node in the US if you are in Australia, especially considering all the australian nodes were reported to be operational.