Author Topic: Not sure about Live Update  (Read 3725 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Not sure about Live Update
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 10:45:11 pm »
Yes, of course. But why would that matter? What kind of products are relevant for this question since I couldn't list all I have.

I meant other FSDT products for MSFS, which are all handled by the installer.

No. I don't own FSX/P3D.

Ok, that's one information.

If your installer/updater writes some sort of logfile, that might be of help. But I don't know where to find it.

Not automatically, it needs to be enabled, check this post to see how:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,19300.msg134060.html#msg134060

TootY

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2022, 11:23:59 pm »
Hello,

How do we check which version we are on?

I've been using the 'manual' installed but haven't worked out to see the version I am running.

HeicoH

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2022, 08:50:43 am »
You cannot check out which version you are on. FSDT thinks that version numbers do not make sense. You will have to run the updater at least daily to be up to date.
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

TootY

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2022, 02:11:31 pm »
You cannot check out which version you are on. FSDT thinks that version numbers do not make sense. You will have to run the updater at least daily to be up to date.

Is that via FSDT Live Update or via FSDT Universal Installer, or are they both the same update process?

Copper

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2022, 02:39:06 pm »
Is that via FSDT Live Update or via FSDT Universal Installer, or are they both the same update process?
Just read this thread, it has been discussed here in detail.

HeicoH

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2022, 02:57:37 pm »
Here is an example:

I read in this forum that "today" has an update been releaes. So, I run the updater, Atfer the first run, it still tellls me that I have to update, After thge 10th  or so runnuing the updater, it tells me that I am up to date.

It does not matter, which updater you run, it is the same.
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

TootY

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2022, 03:34:28 pm »
Just read this thread, it has been discussed here in detail.

I've read numerous posts regarding the exact matter and it just doesn't register with me, unfortunately.

It would be nice to know I'm up-to-date. I can spam the update over and over and I have no status to show me it's up-to-date.

Here is an example:

I read in this forum that "today" has an update been releaes. So, I run the updater, Atfer the first run, it still tellls me that I have to update, After thge 10th  or so runnuing the updater, it tells me that I am up to date.

It does not matter, which updater you run, it is the same.

I'm just doing the same now, see if I can get a status

Copper

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2022, 08:53:00 pm »
It would be nice to know I'm up-to-date. I can spam the update over and over and I have no status to show me it's up-to-date.
According to Umberto, this is the best user experience in terms of an update process. SO many complaints about this, nothing will change. We will still continue updating for no reason, not knowing the status...

If there was something invented, you know, like... Checksums. To ensure the consistency of files... One could even put a version tag on them and wouldn't need to download anything if it would match. Rocket science.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2022, 05:16:35 am »

Run the Live updater and you are then as up to date as to what is available at the moment, easy as that. No need to run it over and over again. Just run it every few days, or once a week or every few weeks so that it can check.

Copper

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2022, 11:01:37 am »
Run the Live updater and you are then as up to date as to what is available at the moment, easy as that.
Did you read this thread? There are at least some people where the Live Updater doesn't work as expected.
The Installer for me at least was working fine lately.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2022, 02:30:08 am »

Did you read this thread? There are at least some people where the Live Updater doesn't work as expected.
The Installer for me at least was working fine lately.

Of course I've read it. I'm thinking more that it was perceived that the updater wasn't working as expected than anything.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2022, 04:08:22 pm »
If there was something invented, you know, like... Checksums. To ensure the consistency of files... One could even put a version tag on them and wouldn't need to download anything if it would match. Rocket science.

And that's PRECISELY what the updater does! Of course EACH and EVERY file is individually checked with a MD5 Checksum, your local file against a directory of checksums found on the server.

The check itself is the thing that takes most of the time, that's why is NOT made automatically for each product on each start of the updater, because if it did that, you would have to wait several minutes JUST to know if you are updated or not, which what some users expects to see: the "Update" button being enabled or disabled depending on the update "status", which is not how it works.

It's not how it works because, as explained so many times, if we "cheated" and checked only a few crucial files, making an assumption that, if *those* few files are the latest version, then ALL the product "must" be ok and fully updated, we could do that pre-check way faster and you would see the Update button eventually disabled, but that would be WRONG because:

- you wouldn't be covered against accidental loss or corruption or alteration of files, if the missing/outdated/corrupted files were not the few ones being checked.

- you wouldn't be covered against internet connections issues or caching issues resulting in getting an outdated file for any reason, if the file wasn't one of the few being checked.

- you would be denied the ability to fix it, because the Update button would have disabled itself, because the few crucial files are ok.

- you wouldn't even suspect you have a problem, because the program would wrongly say "you have the latest version", just because the few crucial files checks correctly.

That's why the updater is way more reliable than any other updater out there, since it doesn't take shortcuts just to make the update check fast, and will always result in the product in its FULL integrity, no matter which file you change/lose/corrupt.

And not only that, because it tries to redownload anything that failed the Checksum, if you ran it again, you have the means to KNOW that something might have gone wrong, for example due to internet caching, so you KNOW you might need the OFFLINE installer.

If the updater wasn't so fault tolerant, and it simply assumed that, because it just downloaded a file, that it "must" be correct ( something that shouldn't be taken for granted ), you wouldn't have ANY way to even suspect you might have a problem which would require the Offline installer.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 04:26:56 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2022, 04:25:14 pm »

It seems you are expecting the updater to tell you something about your update status, which is not what it does.

The Updater won't tell you you are outdated, and won't tell you are up to date.

The updater will just try to update *everything* ( assuming with "updater" you started it from the FSDT Updater icon ), and will show the progress about which files are being updated, if required, and will quit automatically at the end when all installed products are checked.

To know if you are updated, you just notice if it's not downloading anything other than the 3 kind of files that are always supposed to be downloaded (because we found is way faster, do to the way these files compress), which are the Airport Services, the Jetway replacement files and the custom GSX profiles for the FSDT airports.

- If you see it's downloading files OTHER than these, it means you were in need of an update.

- If you see it's downloading files OTHER than these the next time you start it, it means Cloudflare cache might still haven't got that version of the file.

The way Cloudflare caching works, is that files are not refreshed on individual nodes unless somebody connected to that node requests them.

If you are the first one requesting the new files, Cloudflare will download the files you requested from our server so you, and everybody after you, will download them from that local Cloudflare node. This might take a bit of time, depending how many files have been updated, that's why it took "10 tries" to get the latest files, you only had to wait for the time for your local Cloudflare node to download the files your requested from our server, to be then served to you.

If we didn't use Cloudflare caching, nobody would be able to download anything, good or bad or outdated, because there's no way our server could keep up with such kind of traffic.

And of course, BECAUSE the way the updater works, trying to download again something that is not what is supposed to be, you KNOW the files you downloaded are not updated (because it's downloading over and over files that are not supposed to be always redownloaded), so you KNOW you might need to use the OFFLINE installer instead.

That's only in case you don't want to wait for your local Cloudflare node to be updated. Something that always happen, as confirmed by your own report that "it worked at the 10th try": it was just a matter of waiting but, again, you don't *have* to wait: if you are in that situation, it's precisely why we also have an Offline installer.