Author Topic: North GA ramp taxi to 27C  (Read 2079 times)

johnk51

North GA ramp taxi to 27C
« on: November 15, 2022, 12:45:08 am »
I did a flight out of KORD from the N GA parking. I was taxing to 27C when there was a large steep hill along the taxiway.  At the end of 27C the runway has to go up a steep hill to get to the rest of the runway.  This is after SU 11 was installed and I had ran the live update for my fsdt airports.  Something has happened to the elevation there.
John K

johnk51

Re: North GA ramp taxi to 27C
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 02:35:13 am »
I flew out of KORD from N parking taking off 27C.  It still has steep hill at 27C.  I even updated my fsdt sceneries today.  This started after the SU11 update.  Something looks wrong with the elevations in this area.  I haven't checked out other parts of the airport.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 02:45:41 am by johnk51 »
John K

johnk51

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 08:28:21 pm »
Should I just uninstall then reinstall to see if this fixes the problem?
John K

canprince

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 05:58:36 am »
I just checked and am experiencing the exact same issue.  I thought removing the Asobo KORD would resolve the issue, but the only option is to remove the entire MSFS deluxe package?

johnk51

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 08:44:22 am »
Everything was fine till SU11 came out.  Have to see if fsdt can fix it or when the next update comes out from msfs.  I just uninstalled fsdt KORD then reinstalled.  I'll check it out tomorrow.
John K

johnk51

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 02:32:28 am »
I've found a strange thing in my game.  In the c:\program files\addon manager\msfs\. I have my fsdt airports I've bought or was free at the time.  That's where they are installed since my P3D v4's files are store in addon manager. The KORD manifest.json has the following.
{
  "dependencies": [],
  "content_type": "SCENERY",
  "title": "Chicago O'Hare",
  "manufacturer": "",
  "creator": "Fsdreamteam",
  "package_version": "1.3.5",
  "minimum_game_version": "1.27.21",
  "release_notes": {
    "neutral": {
      "LastUpdate": "VERSION 1.3.5 RELEASED JUNE 29, 2022\\nUpdated some parking names to use suffixes.",
      "OlderHistory": "VERSION 1.1.0 RELEASED SEPTEMBER 17, 2020\\n<ul>\n<li>Improved and more realistic Dynamic lighting</li>\n<li>Background photoreal texture in full PBR</li>\n<li>Added centerline lights on High-speed taxiways/li>\n</ul>\\nVERSION 1.2.0 RELEASED DECEMBER 30, 2020\\nNew Runways 9C/27C added.\\nVERSION 1.3.0 RELEASED JUNE 15, 2021\\nXbox compatibility"
    }
  }
}

Then in my community folder on my E: drive I found another set of the fsdt there.  The KORD manifest.json has the following.
{
  "dependencies": [],
  "content_type": "SCENERY",
  "title": "Chicago O'Hare",
  "manufacturer": "",
  "creator": "Fsdreamteam",
  "package_version": "1.3.0",
  "minimum_game_version": "1.18.14",
  "release_notes": {
    "neutral": {
      "LastUpdate": "VERSION 1.3.0 RELEASED JUNE 15, 2021\\nXbox compatibility",
      "OlderHistory": " hs´Œ\u0002New Runways 9C/27C added."
    }
  }
}
They don't have the same version.  Should I remove them from the community folder?  I guess I could move them to a different folder to see if that fixes my problem with the elevation by 27C and the GA parking. 
John K

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 11:43:27 am »
They don't have the same version.  Should I remove them from the community folder?  I guess I could move them to a different folder to see if that fixes my problem with the elevation by 27C and the GA parking.

The most likely reason why you have another (older) copy of the scenery in the Community folder must be that you manually copied an old installation to the Community folder, but the FSDT Updater has in the meantime updated the copy in the Addon Manager folder, which the simulator is not using, because what's inside the Community is the manual copy you created, and that's is all the simulator can see.

The way it's supposed to work, is to have just a Symbolic link from the Addon Manager to the Community folder, which is what our installer creates, so not only you don't waste disk space, but any updates in the Addon Manager copy ( which will be the only copy installed ), will be automatically reflected to the Community folder, that's how Symbolic links work.

But, having manually copied that old installation, is also preventing the installer to recreate the link, because the folder is already there so yes, you surely must remove the copy you made in the Community folder, and after doing that, start the FSDT Installer, which should now report the scenery as "Unlinked", so just click "Relink" to create the Symbolic link as you were always supposed to have.

Note that, in order for all of this to work, the drive your Community folder is located on must be formatted as NTFS. If you are using an external drive that is formatted in Fat32 or ExFat, Symbolic links won't work so, either you reformat the drive in NTFS, or you'll have to manually copy the package to the Community folder each time there's an update, and of course you are wasting disk space, because of the two copies.

johnk51

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 06:24:45 pm »
The last time I did the fsdt updater the community folder didn't have the fsdt in it and the updater did a relink and updates.  They all are synced.  This all change after SU11.  I have the premium version of msfs 2020.  It's always worked in the pass.  I did find the asobo kord in the official onstore.  I temporally moved it to see if that's the problem.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 07:24:51 pm by johnk51 »
John K

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 11:09:05 pm »
The last time I did the fsdt updater the community folder didn't have the fsdt in it and the updater did a relink and updates.  They all are synced.  This all change after SU11. 

I'm sorry but, the SU11 update couldn't have possibly have any effect on this.

It's a basic filesystem thing: if you have a Symbolic link in the Community folder and it points to the package in the Addon Manager\MSFS folder, which is the normal situation, it's just not possible you would end up with any difference in any of the files, because if you look the content of Symbolic link, you are really looking at the linked files, since they are one and the same.

The only possible reason why you had a different version in the Community folder, is that it wasn't a Symbolic link, but it was manually copied there, making it a real and separate version, which remained outdated, because the FSDT Updater only works in the Addon Manager folder, it will never try to look or change what's in the Community, that's the main point of having Symbolic links.

johnk51

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 11:23:39 pm »
The thing I found out was when I removed the asobo kord from the official onstore, it ran the Premium update and the default kord was back in the official store folder.  When I ran the fsdt installer, it relinked the sceneries and put the files back in. I didn't copy any of them.  The default kord isn't in my contents in msfs 2020.  If I search, it only comes up with fsdt kord and premiun update file.  It seem that fsdt kord can't over ride the default and it can't be removed.
John K

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 11:57:35 pm »
The thing I found out was when I removed the asobo kord from the official onstore, it ran the Premium update and the default kord was back in the official store folder.

It looks like you manually removed the folder from Official/OneStore, which won't work, because the MSFS updater will thing something's missing, and will redownload it again.

The correct procedure is to Delete the scenery from the Content Manager instead, that's the only way MSFS will know it was you that intentionally wanted to remove the scenery.

When I ran the fsdt installer, it relinked the sceneries and put the files back in. I didn't copy any of them.

If you now removed the other older copy you had in the Community folder, then yes, the FSDT installer would now finally able to Relink the scenery and whatever files it downloaded or updated, it would only happen in the Addon Manager\MSFS folder, which of course would look exactly the same when using Symbolic links, which is what you are normally supposed to have when you run the FSDT installer only, and don't copy anything manually.

The only possible reason why the copy you had in the Community folder was different than the one in the Addon Manger, was because it wasn't a Symbolic link, but a real separate copy. And the only possible reason why it was a real separate copy and not a Symbolic link, it's because you have copied it manually, possibly a while ago, and forgot about it. You probably copied it manually, because for some other reason the installer wasn't able to create the Symbolic link, so you fixed it by manually copy the package.

The default kord isn't in my contents in msfs 2020

You are never going to see the default KORD as a separate package, because it's part of a package that cannot even be removed, which is the "base-airports".

But this package is not a problem, the one you need to remove is the Premium handcrafted version, which CAN be removed, but not manually, only from the Content Manager.

johnk51

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 08:40:55 pm »
When I uninstalled the Deluxe update in the content manager, KORD was back to normal.  I don't know what other files are in that update.  It looked like a new file that Asobo is using for the premium.  This never happened before with any other updates.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 12:23:01 am by johnk51 »
John K

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 02:59:02 pm »
When I uninstalled the Deluxe update in the content manager, KORD was back to normal.  I don't know what other files are in that update. 

You would achieved the same result if you just removed the Asobo KORD package, which IS part of the Deluxe update, from the Content manager. The key is removing it from the Content Manager, not manually.

Removing the whole Deluxe update surely removed the handcrafted KORD, but has also removed lots of other things you paid extra for, that are completely unrelated to KORD and this issue, which would have been fixed just by removing the handcrafted KORD.

To remove a specific airport from a Package, you need to be sure the "Package" icon is not selected ( = Not white ), so you can search for individual airports inside a bigger package. If you don't click the "list" icon on the right of the "package" icon, you won't find Asobo KORD there, but it will appear as a "Deluxe" package. However, even in that case, when you selected the Deluxe Package, a "list" icon would appear on its right, which would allowed to you "enter" inside the package, and look for individual package to Delete or Reinstall.

johnk51

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 07:49:21 pm »
That's the problem.  When I went to the content manager and did a search for KORD the only 2 files that show up were deluxe update and fsdt kord.  There is no asobo kord in there.  Something must have changed with SU11.  This never happened in the past.
John K

johnk51

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2022, 06:27:01 am »
It's working now. You can close this topic.

John K