Author Topic: Accelleration F-18 Brakes  (Read 29429 times)

CW769

Accelleration F-18 Brakes
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:42:25 pm »
Hi
I just registered with fsdreamteam.My question:

Having problems with the ACCEL F-18 brakes on landing...WHen the brakes are applied , the F-18 is very difficult to control , will turn sideways and spin out of control...

If I tap the brakes quickly , I can manage to keep control , however I think there is something wrong with the brake set-up ...

Appreciate your comments..........Thanks Barrie

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
Re: Accelleration F-18 Brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 04:29:00 am »
i noticed the same thing... its impossible to land without spinning

CW769

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 05:05:28 pm »
Is there a fix for the F-18 brakes......Some of you high tech guys must have the answer..

Barrie

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 12:34:50 am »
Have a look here:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=121&topic_id=431486&mesg_id=431486

doesn't help too much, i see some people saying they dont have problems, and they gotta be kidding, because it is impossible to land the f-18 without sliding sideways. theres no way you can land it perfectly like any other jets, even if you turn your rudder controls off, or increase its null zone to max. the plane gotta be bugged or something

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:32:29 pm »
Are you using real rudder brakes, or simply hit the brake key/button ? I guess that might be a big difference, because with rudder brakes you can apply the desired amount of braking force, but with keyboard or joystick button, it's either 0% or 100% braking, and that might impact stability.

edbob

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 08:08:17 pm »
I only have trouble with the brakes when I'm still moving pretty fast.  Following the lead of real Hornet pilots, after I touch down I keep my nosewheel off the ground as long as possible and use aerodynamic braking.  Be careful you don't scrape your tail while doing this.  Once the nose falls, I use the brakes.  Usually don't have a problem.

I am using the full on/full off braking, not the rudder brakes.

chupaflier

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 08:46:44 am »
The problem is definitely there! Things I do to avoid:
-as soon as back wheel touch down I engage the speed brake and keep nose up to bleed airspeed
-as soon as front wheel touches down I start tapping brakes first twill speed is around 50, then press it down

Scoutdriver

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 12:36:25 pm »
I had the same issue for the longest time until I finally solved it. I went into my joystick settings in Windows and increased my null zone. It wasn't until I pulled up the null zone tab in the settings that I realized my rudder control was way off to one direction. If your pedals/yaw aren't centered when you hit the brakes, expect to do some sliding.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 05:41:50 pm »
its not a problem with joystick settings or anything, the f-18 doesnt work like the other aircrafts, thats the problem, if you touch the ground and you're not aligned, like one of your wings is higher than the other, and that makes one side of your landing gear touch the ground first, you'll slide. other aircrafts will correct their align as soon as they're on the ground, but not the f-18, and this needs a fix.

BlakTiger47

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 04:32:43 pm »
Well without modifying anything at all Chupaflier's method works the best. That's how the real naval aviators or for that matter any military aviator flying jets does it, landing on a runway not a carrier of course. Try not using the brakes at all until your speed gets down to around 30 or less knots. Just let the plane roll out. The unalligned sliding is probably caused by the fact that the model designers made the gear springy like a real F/A-18A. Other aircraft have rigid gear but like we've said before the F-18 is designed to make hard arrested carrier landings. So the designers of the real plane put little thought into runway landings. The designers of the model just went off of the real planes specs, hence the sensitivty.
"Get It Up, Get It On, Get It Down"
-Blue Angels
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Light the Fire

SUBS17

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 05:58:28 pm »
I think the sliding is actually caused by the locking up of the wheels which would happen if you jam them on suddenly. Can either pump the brakes or gradually apply them. You can stop on quite a short runway if you combine aerodynamic braking with gradual braking.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 07:48:15 pm »
I think the sliding is actually caused by the locking up of the wheels which would happen if you jam them on suddenly. Can either pump the brakes or gradually apply them. You can stop on quite a short runway if you combine aerodynamic braking with gradual braking.

thats what im talking about, i'll still slide even if i tap the brakes to stop at the end of the runway

SUBS17

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 07:09:18 am »
Try not touching the brakes until you're below 80kts, or even try not using them until lower speeds. When you use them just tap it a couple of times. Also try deploying the airbrake as well.

BlakTiger47

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 06:18:30 pm »
Deploying the airbrake should be an always when landing fighters. Subs, I agree that wheel jam up could be the problem i dont think it's the only problem. In any other plane jaming on the brakes at speeds of 80+ doesnt cause any sliding even close to the sliding the F-18 does.
Fael097
Do u have rudder pedals with an axis that allows for normal and differential brakes or do u just have the brake button mapped to a joystick? The button just gives u 0 or 100% brakes with no inbetween. If u have a way to make a slider or a pedals axis the brakes then u can control how much braking u apply which may help with the sliding.
"Get It Up, Get It On, Get It Down"
-Blue Angels
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Light the Fire