Author Topic: LSO views  (Read 7649 times)

Paco

LSO views
« on: February 22, 2010, 02:30:51 am »
Hey,

Nice multiplayer session yesterday.  Much better than last week and I suspect it will only get better.  Thanks to Sludge and Duncan who LSO'd and all the others who participated.  For those "lurking" on the boards, I highly recommend you come on out and try it.  All you need is Skype and Orion's mission.

I'm posting a pic of the LSO view I tried.  Main pic is the PLAT camera with an inset of the LSO station, so I can around and see who's on downwind, 180 and 90.  The inset I'm able to pan and zoom.

Now I just have to learn to land all over again, thanks to the Sludge Hornet.

Later,

Paco

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: LSO views
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:59:02 am »
Thanks. That looks like a very interesting view(s) for making 'deck landing' videos.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:27:31 pm »
Paco...

Once you get used to the Sludge Hornet, let me know and meet us (duncan, marco) on Skype sometime so you can join in for some real Greenie board grades if you want?!  Same thing I did on the multi, 'cept we actually post the landing grades on a Greenie board that Duncan made.

Also, for everyone, if you want Paddles from me, just let me know when you are lining up for a long landing or at the 180 what level of Paddles you want?  Im all-inclusive in my range, from "point the nose and shoot for the deck" all the way to "302, you're high and and right, 3/4 of a mile, call the ball" w/full LSO debriefing comments.  Some of you ("518, paco", or "302, duncan") I already know, but others who jump in that are new, just let me know what your wanting from me.

Last Saturday was a very good time.  Thanks to all involved.

Later
Sludge

Madadog

• VFR Reviews
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:07:08 pm »
I'm definitely gonna get some practice in. Was it Paco who said he had trouble calling the ball because of the screen resoultion, or lighting settings? Because I think I'm having that problem too. It's better when I connect my notebook to my larger monitor, but then no sound is available, so I don't use it during multiplayer sessions.

This would be a typical LSO call for me:

LSO: "Madadog 285, you're fast, little less power, correct right right, you're low. Oh my God! Take cover!" *jumps overboard* *splash*.  :P

Adam "Madadog" Johnson.

“Madadog, 1.5 miles. Madadog, roger ball, yaddi, yaddi, yadda."
"Hmm...I am a bit left. Are you sure you can't move the carrier over a bit?"

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »
Madadog...

I think Paco had a problem with the "halo" or over-brightness (is that a word?) of the Meatball lights?!  Something about being hard to pick out and use because they were too bright to distinguish?  There are a few fixes I would try... do the scalar change for your VASI lights in the fsx.cfg file.  I think that fix can be found on a thread in this forum?  Also, when I get home, Ill look at some of my fixes and see if there's a direction to point you about getting better defined light textures that you can put into your effects folder.  Makes the PAPI/Meatball and runway lights more crisp and clear without the overbearing, hard-to-see, glow that they are enabled with in the default installation.

If Ive got Paddles, Id jump into the virtual LSO nets and get into the fetal position.

Later
Sludge

Paco

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 11:33:49 pm »
Sludge,

If you could tell me what to adjust the scalar values to, I'd appreciate it.  Also the same for the runway lights.  They are too bright at night.  I ran a fix for my FS9 and my airport lights look good now, but I have no fix for FSX.
     Practiced with the Sludge Hornet on Sunday and improved somewhat.  Got several three wires and one two wire.  For greenie board night, I might have to turn off TrackIR and go with HUD view.  Although I like flying around with Track IR.

Paco

Razgriz

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 11:38:52 pm »
Incase anyone is wondering, view the Greenie Board here.  Paco, tell me if you want to be added.  Will take ~30 seconds.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 01:36:31 am »
OK, for all interested...

These are the light scalars I have in my FSX.cfg file:

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.2

Just found the Dante's Light Fix file I have.  Its not much but has a different "halo.bmp" file that tones down the runway lights, and also in the install instructions, there is a readme that has different scalars.  Try both and see what works best for you.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:59:39 am by Sludge »

Paco

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 02:14:46 am »
Incase anyone is wondering, view the Greenie Board here.  Paco, tell me if you want to be added.  Will take ~30 seconds.

That's very kind, but I must practice some more first.  Unless you want me to use the stock Hornet.  I will say the Sludge Hornet flies more like the VRS Hornet in the pattern, so it should be a smoother transition when it comes out to FSX.
    Gimme a few more hours in the pattern with the sludge Hornet.

Paco