Author Topic: Blurry grass  (Read 12150 times)

Meesterlijk

Blurry grass
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:04:03 pm »
Hello,

I was looking around in this forum and I couldnt find any subject familiar to my problem. I have a very blurry view on my runways and grass. I dont know how to solve the problem. I have some pictures of my fs9.

I have included two screenshots.

I hope someone can help me!

JFKpilot

Re: Blurry grass
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 01:24:34 am »
Look a few posts down...  ;)

Quote from: virtuali
In FS9:

- Global Texture Size - Should be at "Massive"
- Texture filtering - Should be at "Trilinear"
- MipMap Level - Should be higher than 4 (default). 6 or 7 works best, some system (very high res screens) might use 8

On the Video Card control panel:

- Anisotropic filtering - Should be at least 8x. 16x it's better if you card is fast enough
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  -James Dickey

Meesterlijk

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:02:56 pm »
Allright, I have done all these things and I still got this. It wont change when I wait. It stays this way.

perryfincher

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:08:33 pm »
I get the same problem continously.
I, too, have checked all my setting in FS and on my video card.
Everything gets blurry mostly when I land at JFK.
The grass is blurry when I taxi for takeoff.
I don't seem to get this problem with any other sceneries that I have noticed but will keep an eye out the next time
I fly.
I haven't been able to figure it out.
Perry Fincher
Trans World Virtual Airlines

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 07:13:28 pm »
You could try this replacement texture:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/download/JFK_det_01.bmp

put it in the fsdreamteam\jfk\texture  folder and replace the file with the same name.

Note that, it will make taxyways to look more detailed, but not grass, because it doesn't use a detail texture, just a photoreal background.

Meesterlijk

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:01:50 am »
Yes, done that too but I still get this result. I still get blurry runways and taxiways. Esprecially where the grass end and the asphalt starts. It doesnt look right imho.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 02:20:25 pm »
Yes, done that too but I still get this result. I still get blurry runways and taxiways. Esprecially where the grass end and the asphalt starts. It doesnt look right imho.

First, as I've said already, the grass will always appear to be blurrier than the taiways, because it doesn't use 2 texture layers.

However, your entire image is very blurred, and it doesn't look anywere as it should:

It might be that your system just can't cope with the load (of course, it's not just the scenery, but the AI textures, the area outside, etc. all contribute to the general load), and it doesn't have time to load the higher res textures.

And, of course, if you applied the texture resizer for JFK, you are already dealing with halved resolution images. If you haven't, it might be worth trying it instead, because it will ease the graphic load, allowing more time to load all the textures.

HamburgerJung

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 08:12:33 pm »
You could try this replacement texture:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/download/JFK_det_01.bmp

put it in the fsdreamteam\jfk\texture  folder and replace the file with the same name.

Note that, it will make taxyways to look more detailed, but not grass, because it doesn't use a detail texture, just a photoreal background.

THANKS! God damn, this scenery is so godlike  :)

Meesterlijk

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 11:27:50 am »
My system is not really bad. I have a Quadcore (2,33GHZ, 4 MB Cache) with a 512MB Radeon. It handles fs very good with 60fps. I cant believe that is the problem.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 12:05:40 pm »
My system is not really bad. I have a Quadcore (2,33GHZ, 4 MB Cache) with a 512MB Radeon. It handles fs very good with 60fps. I cant believe that is the problem.

I have already show how the scenery looks like. So, if you are not seeing this, either you have missed a suggested setting or, something else is wrong with your system settings.

As we said, many times already, fps doesn't mean anything: FS9 is forever limited in the amount of TIME he'll devote to texture loading and, 4 cores in FS9 are entirely wasted, because it will never use more than one and, of that one, it will never use more than an hard-code (little) amount of time to handle texture loading. So, having good fps it's even worse, because the system is devoting all the limited resources FS9 will use anyway, to generate many fps, leaving a lot of the machine power unused.

In FSX, instead, the texture loading is handled by unused cores so, even if you might not have high fps, the image will be FAR LESS BLURRED, becasue there is TIME to load the higher res textures, time that FS9 doesn't even *think* to use.

As I've said already, if you are used our texture resizer, of course you are running half of the resolution already. But, the texture resizer is usefuly in FS9 for the above reasons, otherwise you'll get stutters, because FS9 can't simply handle too much data without stalling.

The real problem is FS9 here: it's simply not made to handle sceneries with such amount of textures, because its texture handling method is obsolete and can't use modern hardware (anything from dual core up) so, either you'll get blurred textures or you'll get stutters on load. FSX can deal with this kind of scenery much better.

Meesterlijk

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 07:08:58 pm »
Then I would suggest: dont buy Kennedy for FS9.

Make the buyers of Kennedy aware of this issue. If I would have known this, I wouldnt have bought this scenery. Though its very beautiful by the way.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 07:11:13 pm »
If I would have known this, I wouldnt have bought this scenery.

That's why the scenery is available as Try-before-buy, so anyone can evaluate how it looks like on his own system.

Meesterlijk

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 08:12:46 pm »
That's true, I tried it before I bought it but at that point I didnt noticed the blurry runways because I didnt expect them to be that way so I didnt looked at it. I was more impressed by the beautiful buildings. :)

Clutcher

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 05:11:04 am »
I also have this blurry texture problem. Can someone revive the link posted earlier in this thread of the replacement ground texture. I want to give that a try. Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 09:30:32 am »
The link posted above is working fine.