Author Topic: Probably not the right place.  (Read 2602 times)

rrodger9

Probably not the right place.
« on: September 04, 2022, 04:49:19 am »
This is most likely not the correct place to post this. I did use the support email on the web site since I consider this to be a registration issue but never got a response there. I also followed up about a week ago also through the email address provided but gt no response.

I purchased KCLT through the marketplace for $12.99 USD. I have the receipt that was provided by Microsoft(?). The issues is that I will be losing the base game because I had this though Gamepass which was under my wife's email address. We got this for my son and he no longer uses it. It makes no sense for me to continue to pay for what is basically a lease on the base game when I could purchase the premium deluxe version cheaper over time. MSFS is the only game that I have any interest in. It makes no sense for me to pay them for a single game. I want to consolidate everything under my microsoft account so that I do not run into this in the future. I need to know if there is a way for me to retain the airport? Also would it be better to purchase straight from your site rather than go through the marketplace? I want to get GSX but want all the information on this before I purchase it. Thank you.

Turok144

Re: Probably not the right place.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 09:50:19 pm »
Hi. I'm not an expert, but the KCLT airport is located here on your machine:

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages\Official\Steam\fsdreamteam-airport-kclt-charlotte

If you save the file and place it in the same location of the upgraded version of MSFS , it would seem to me that it should work.

Oh yes and FYI:  The developer is extremely busy but eventually he gets around to answering questions.

Cheers!

rrodger9

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 06:21:33 am »
Thank you. I will give that a try. I am just running out of time and need to make a decision soon. I just wasn't sure if the email address was correct. I hate the way things are now tied to your MS account through the game. I think they made things way harder than they needed to be lol

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 12:46:28 am »
Purchases on the MS Marketplace are tied to the account they were made for, you can't just copy a file, because it's encrypted to your user account.

What you are requesting, "consolidating" all your MS Purchases under the same account, can only be fixed by Microsoft, but we can't say if they do this kind of service.

rrodger9

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 08:00:10 pm »
Please see the response from MSFS:

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Flight Simulator Support today.

We understand that you are asking if you can transfer your game license and/or additional content from the Microsoft Account used to make the purchase to a new Microsoft Account. As it turns out, apps, games, and add-ons purchased from one Microsoft Account cannot be transferred to another Microsoft Account.

Kind regards,
Microsoft Flight Simulator Support Team

My response to them. I am disappointed that nobody saw something like this coming. I simply want to be able to keep what I paid for.:
Needless to say that I am disappointed by this decision and that nobody either with Microsoft or the developers could have foreseen this possibility. I am now going to have to lose the airport that I paid for and have the receipts for. I will not be renewing the gamepass nor will I be repurchasing MSFS due to these limitations. This means that I will also not be purchasing additional things from any 3rd party vendors or at least not for MSFS. This is poor customer service to say the least and you have managed to run off a customer of the flight simulator since 2004.

So I guess I will not be purchasing GSX or repurchasing KCLT. The decision to absolutely tie everything to just one account cannot be good for developers.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 05:37:16 pm »
So I guess I will not be purchasing GSX or repurchasing KCLT. The decision to absolutely tie everything to just one account cannot be good for developers.

You don't risk this problem with GSX, because GSX will only be sold by us, not on the Marketplace, and we obviously have complete control over our licenses, which are not tied to any account, they have an activation key which you receive by email, you can activate multiple times and you can deactivate too without having to contact our support.

We can do this even when the product has been bought from other retailers, with the only exception of the Microsoft Marketplace, which works according to Microsoft rules. Having the product "tied to an account" has some advantages, which is the reason why users might decide to buy from Microsoft, which are:

- You don't have to deal with activation keys to insert

- You don't have to remember how to activate or find keys in your email

- Installation is very simple

But of course, activations tied to an account also have disadvantages, like in this case where Microsoft policy is not allowing you to switch products from an account to another one.

This is not exactly news: you can't "switch" products bought from Steam to a different Steam account, you can't do it on Apple Store, you can't do it on Google Play. When you switch accounts, you always lose all products purchased on that account, that's how ALL these big stores with purchases tied to an account work: you gained an easier installation, but you lost this flexibility.

rrodger9

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 08:24:30 am »
I appreciate all of that information. So would I have been issued a key for KCLT had I purchased that through your site? Frankly I used the marketplace because it was convenient and what I thought at the time was a good deal. I have learned my lesson. I have also been accustomed to a flight simulator that I could control such as installation drive etc. This garbage of being tied to absolutely one MS account no matter what cannot be doing you all any favors...had I seen a thread like this I would have had serious doubts about buying. I have always purchased this airport and I hate what this has done to the flight simulator community. There are exceptions to every rule.

There is also this issue...the support for MSFS is not from MS but was hired out to zendesk...a third party that has nothing to do with development. They are rude and do not care to even attempt to help in any way. They cannot make any decisions at all when it comes to accounts. They say that is for MS to do and then provide links to nowhere. Now I admit I have some age on me so I had someone else look and they couldn't get anywhere with the links sent either. For this reason alone, I will never purchase another MS flight simulator. I hope that you develop for XPlane-12 since MS has managed to absolutely run off what was once a faithful customer. I know it won't break them but I will never contribute to their bottom line where I can avoid it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 04:41:32 pm »
So would I have been issued a key for KCLT had I purchased that through your site?

Yes, of course, that's what I meant when I said "You don't risk this problem with GSX, because GSX will only be sold by us, not on the Marketplace, and we obviously have complete control over our licenses", the same is also valid for every product, when purchased directly, but even on Simmarket.