Author Topic: Central thread for updates / info  (Read 2682 times)

bmaising

Central thread for updates / info
« on: August 30, 2022, 07:53:09 pm »
Hi,

Just want to ask if there is a central thread / topic, where in this waterfall / tons of informations the actual informations about the newest updates for GSX can be found (like a changelog or smth.)

Thank you for your good work, GSX is awesome!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Central thread for updates / info
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 08:24:17 pm »
Information about all the updates can be found:

- By clicking the "Release Notes" button in the FSDT Installer

- In the Sticky thread of this same section:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26826.0.html

Ankh

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 09:03:30 pm »
Do we still have to use the offline installer?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 11:15:05 pm »
Do we still have to use the offline installer?

Quoting from that thread:

This offline installer will make do until we'll be reasonably sure almost all Cloudflare nodes have been updated. You can recognize if YOUR node has, by simply noticing if the Live Update doesn't download anything if you run it after this offline installer. If this happens, it means your local Cloudflare node is now fully updated, so you don't need to use this anymore, just the Live Update.

Ankh

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 09:10:21 am »
Well, this makes no sense, if there IS an update, no? Because then, the updater obviously WILL download some files, but how do I know if they are the correct ones and I do not have to run again the offline installer as last step?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 09:39:12 am »
Well, this makes no sense, if there IS an update, no? Because then, the updater obviously WILL download some files, but how do I know if they are the correct ones and I do not have to run again the offline installer as last step?

As J've said, if you run the FSDT Live Update, and it doesn't download anything, you are fine with it.

If it downloads the same files over and over, it's because it KNOWS there's an update, but it's getting the old file from cloudflare cache, so it tries it again and again. This is telling your node might have a problem, so you need to download and install the Offline installer, which is kept constantly updated with the latest fixes from the Live Updater.

Ankh

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 10:59:53 am »
As J've said, if you run the FSDT Live Update, and it doesn't download anything, you are fine with it.

Sorry, but now you cant be serious. If you upload an update tomorrow and I run FSDT Live Update and it does not Update anything, everything is fine? So how do I then get an update at all via FSDT Updater??

FerrevmVnion

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 11:17:16 am »

Sorry, but now you cant be serious. If you upload an update tomorrow and I run FSDT Live Update and it does not Update anything, everything is fine? So how do I then get an update at all via FSDT Updater??

I agree ..... When my cloudfare node thinks its updated, it doesnt download anything.... until my node is being updated while the offline installer was updated my node thinks "im fine, im up to date".... i have never seen such a stupid update process before.... either its due to no other except you is using cloudfare (they know why) or cloudfare is just kidding FSDT Users.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 11:48:13 am »

When we release an update, the Live Update WILL obviously download something. As I've said, multiple times, the problem is AFTER we release an update, you run the Live Update again, and it tries to download the same files, over and over, THAT'S where you can tell you have a problem, because AFTER the first download, until the NEXT update we'll release, it shouldn't download anything.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2022, 11:51:36 am »
i have never seen such a stupid update process before.... either its due to no other except you is using cloudfare (they know why) or cloudfare is just kidding FSDT Users.

First, almost everybody uses Cloudflare. Maybe not so much in the flight sim world, and that's precisely why where there's a big release, servers usually crash and nobody is able to download anything.

Here, instead, everybody was able to download, our server never crashed ( which is why you can post on this forum ), someone might not got the latest files, but everybody will, eventually, and we have an OFFLINE installer as an alternative.

Ankh

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 12:00:35 pm »
And this means WHAT? Sorry, but this question can not be that difficult, no? For you to understand, my step by step procedure of yesterday, maybe you will then finally get what we are asking...

1. I checked the website here for the date of the offline installer. I realized that there is an update mentioned from 30.08.2022.
2. I run the FSDT Updater and it downloads a lot of stuff, because it also lists some UKR textures, I assume it is the update mentioned here from 30.08.

Now you come and tell me, that as long as FSDT Updater does NOT UPDATE anything, I am fine and I do not need the offline installer. What? How the hell should we ever get an update again then? Or do we really have to let FSDT Updater run, wonder about all the stuff it downloads, download the offline update and install it and run the FSDT Udpater again and if it is not downloading anything anymore, it is fine? But if it does, we then have to run the offline update again and do not touch the FSDT Updater anymore... until when?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 12:16:21 pm »
1. I checked the website here for the date of the offline installer. I realized that there is an update mentioned from 30.08.2022.  2. I run the FSDT Updater and it downloads a lot of stuff, because it also lists some UKR textures, I assume it is the update mentioned here from 30.08.

The OFFLINE installer doesn't contain everything. It would be an amazing feat if a 120MB installer could contain everything that comes in about 4-5GB of stuff, it only contains the crucial files that might cause a problem if missing, like code and sounds.

New models and liveries (like Ukranian ones ) are only online so yes, it was entirely normal that, after running the Offline installer, the Live Update downloaded something that's just not there in the Offline installer.

Now you come and tell me, that as long as FSDT Updater does NOT UPDATE anything, I am fine and I do not need the offline installer. What?

You still don't see to get it. I said, if you run the FSDT Updater once, it might download something (which in your case was the extra operators) but then, if you run it again, and you see it's still downloading again the same files, over and over, there you know you have a problem.

I don't know how better I can explain it, let's try a different approach:

- Run the Offline Installer

- Run the Live Update

- Run the Live Update AGAIN. Is still download the same things ? If yes, your local node is not updated, it not, you are fine.

Commander_KK

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 12:37:46 pm »
I find this also very confusing. Why not just make the update button clickable when a update exists, and greyed out and not clickable when you are up to date. Like every other Flightsim Software I use  :o

Ankh

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 01:01:00 pm »
You still don't see to get it. I said, if you run the FSDT Updater once, it might download something (which in your case was the extra operators) but then, if you run it again, and you see it's still downloading again the same files, over and over, there you know you have a problem.

Of course I see your point, but it does still not answer how the heck we should know if the offline installer is still needed or not. Or do you expect from every user that he knows if the files being redownloaded by FSDT Updater over and over again are the ones covered by the offline installer or not?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 01:20:22 pm »
Of course I see your point, but it does still not answer how the heck we should know if the offline installer is still needed or not.

Exactly as I've said before: you run it twice, and you see it tries to download the SAME files, over and over.

Or do you expect from every user that he knows if the files being redownloaded by FSDT Updater over and over again are the ones covered by the offline installer or not?

They don't have to know or wonder. Just follow what I've said, if the SAME files are downloaded over and over, it's because the node doesn't have the latest ones yet.

Keyword here is "OUTDATED". Why they are "outdated" to begin with ? Because the cloudflare node already had an older version, maybe coming from the Beta, or possibly even before that, so it's might serve an outdated version. Outdated requires that file already existed on cloudflare.

But new files, like the NEW liveries from the UKR operators, which were never uploaded anywhere before, cannot possibly affected by this issue, since they just didn't exist anywhere on the cloudflare network so, it's 100% sure the *first* user that downloads them, will force cloudflare to download a version from our site, because it doesn't have it, but the next user on the same node will get the cached version. The only version, so it can't be outdated.

That's why you can trust that, after running the Offline installer, and the Live Updater and you don't see anything downloaded (other than *new* files, which I'm sure are fine), you can be sure your node is ok.