Author Topic: Using downloaded profiles  (Read 3761 times)

Ankh

Using downloaded profiles
« on: August 27, 2022, 12:49:03 pm »
I came across something that puzzles me: I commented on a downloadable .ini file for LSZH over at flightsim.to because I realized that within this .ini file, obviously the path for the .bgl AFCAD is user-specific, in  this case "afcad_path = \\?\D:\Addon Manager\MSFS\fsdreamteam-airport-lszh-zurich\scenery\FSDT_LSZH\FSDT_LSZH_AP.bgl", depending on where the addon scenery is installed.

Surprisingly, it seems that the .ini file works for everybody else, at least the developer of this .ini file was surprised about my comment that this location must be changed to work, as nobody ever complained about it.

So my question: do we have to change the afcad_path= designator or is this not necessary? Thanks for clarification,

Regars
Chris

Erathost

Re: Using downloaded profiles
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 03:54:40 pm »
That is what Umberto wrote in one of the posts:

Don't worry, we already took this into account, quoting from GSX Manual, Page 4

So looks like it doesn‘t matter.

Cheers Erathost

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 12:32:28 am »
I'll copy it again here:

from GSX Manual, Page 46:

The name of the .BGL used to customize the scenery is listed in the [GENERAL] section of the GSX .INI profile. It will include the complete path valid for your system but, don’t worry, there’s no need to edit it out before sharing your work, since GSX will only use the .BGL filename, and will ignore the full path altogether, it has been designed like this exactly to facilitate sharing of GSX .INI profiles without worrying about different paths. As long the currently active .BGL matches the name referenced in the .INI file, the .INI will be loaded by GSX, no matter the path.

Ankh

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 08:44:02 am »
Wonderful, thanks. Now I stop asking questions that are explained in the manual. RTFM to myself 🤣

normanblackburn

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 10:47:46 am »
Are ini files interchangeable between P3D & MSFS versions of GSX?  Subject of course to changing the afcad path to show the appropriate bgl.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:06:57 am by normanblackburn »
Norman Blackburn

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 12:33:38 pm »
The .ini file comes with the name of the airport and some more characters after _ . Can we rename it? Example: instead of "leib-mx6smb" we rename it to "LEIB_simwings" or "LEIB_inibuilds" just to know which scenery is applied to.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 01:45:59 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 01:46:05 pm »
Example: instead of "leib-mx6smb" we rename it to "LEIB_simwings" or "LEIB_inibuilds" just to know which scenery is applied to.

You can rename it, but the first letters must be the ICAO code, and you *must* use a dash ( minus ) not an underscore. You are free to use any names AFTER the minus sign.

Guenseli

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 04:40:24 pm »
Is it also ok to just name it e.g. "leib.ini"?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 07:09:43 pm »
Is it also ok to just name it e.g. "leib.ini"?

No, you MUST use a minus and then add something after it, that's why there are random characters added by GSX, because you might have multiple .BGLs made for the same ICAO, so there must be something after the minus sign to differentiate two .INI with different .BGL used.

Ankh

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 07:06:40 am »
I'll copy it again here:

I come back to this question, because it seems that this does not work 100%. Could it be that if GSX PRO does not correctly recognize a 3rd party scenery, it is still very much needed to adjust the path in the specific .ini? I realized that when using the "exclude 3rd party" button in the FSDT Installer config for GSX PRO, it does not detect all of my addons. By far not.

zk

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 03:34:02 pm »
I'll copy it again here:

I come back to this question, because it seems that this does not work 100%. Could it be that if GSX PRO does not correctly recognize a 3rd party scenery, it is still very much needed to adjust the path in the specific .ini? I realized that when using the "exclude 3rd party" button in the FSDT Installer config for GSX PRO, it does not detect all of my addons. By far not.

I have found it’s hit or miss. I add the entire path just to be safe.

As for the exclude third party airports feature, GSX only caught the addons in my community folder that were named following adobos required naming nomenclature (developer-icao-airport).  Any airport that was named differently had to be manually added by me.

Ankh

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 04:19:27 pm »
Any airport that was named differently had to be manually added by me.

And did you by chance check if those resulted in an entry in the GSX.ini? I guess no, that would explain why so many users of downloaded profiles still have to adjust the path inside the airport specific .ini file, because the GSX.ini simply misses those .bgl paths, otherwise they could be excluded by clicking on "exclude 3rd party airports", no?

Ankh

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 03:45:28 pm »
This question is still not entirely clear to me and keeps raising question elsewhere. Is it really true that some addons use different names for their relevant .bgls depending on whether you use Steam or MS Store variant of MSFS? This could also explain why some of the downloaded .ini files do not work for everyone...

sidfadc

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 09:29:46 pm »
I've noticed the BGL is not always called the same thing, for instance sometimes its egcc.bgl [insert whatever icao] or objects.bgl, however in some instances I can find neither file structure in my airport installation folder.  So how do I know precisely which file to link to?