Author Topic: Mysterious behaviour concerning FSDT Sceneries:  (Read 3507 times)

swiss1

Mysterious behaviour concerning FSDT Sceneries:
« on: January 27, 2010, 04:08:18 pm »
I have 5 FSDT and 1 Cloud9 sceneries installed on my computer,(LSZH, LSGG, KJFK, KLAS, KFLL and EHAM).
The oldest one,(ZurichX) was installed in oct.2008 and the newest one (KFLL and EHAM in aug. resp. nov 2009.
All sceneries are using the famous FSDT Addon manager,(bglman!).
I never had any problems with all these sceneries till now.

Yesterday, when starting FS2004, I got following messages ,(see pict1) followed
by several other messages for all my FSDT sceneries, (see pict2).

I answer Yes or Ok to all messages.

After that, I started FS2004 again with no issue. Further I reinstalled the latest Standalon Manager and restart FS2004 which refused to start.

After a checkup of my FSDT sceneries with regedit,(everything was ok); I reactivate FS2004 with the  FS9reg utility and FS2004 and all sceneries seems now to work again .

My questions:
1. What does this means??

2. Why Geneva.re, (I never reinstalled Geneva)

3. It is, as if somebody want to check my register keys, dangerous !!

4. Does this means that in the future Software Vendor needs also our digital fingerprint??

Swiss1

FS2004, Windows XP SP3
Intel DUO E8600 3.33 GHz CPU
2MB Corsair DDR2 Ram
Nvidia 9800 GX2 Graphic card

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Mysterious behaviour concerning FSDT Sceneries:
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 04:34:59 pm »
First, it's obviously not "dangerous" that a program checks your registry keys. How could work otherwise ? The program check all your registry keys at each start, which is what *EVERY* program in the world that accepts any kind Serial Number normally does. And, checking the registry is not dangerous at all.

You should try monitoring any Windows program with Process Monitor, a free utility from Microsoft: there are literally *hundreds* of registry keys access every few seconds, coming from all the places, especially when you start a program...

Maybe, you meant checking the keys *online* ? Which is NOT what the program does normally. This is a common misconception. The activation is checked onllne only once, but then is stored in the registry. Clear and easy proof of this: the scenery works even without a network connection, once is activated.

So no, there's no "big brother" watching you...

The only time there's an online check is when:

- You reinstall the PC from scratch, so you need to reactivate the sceneries.

- You change an hardware component

- You lost your activation keys, for reasons that don't have anything to do with the scenery.

Since you haven't said you reinstalled your PC, and you haven't mentioned an hardware change, that leaves the 3rd option, which is the loss of the activation from the registry without having changed hardware.

This is might be caused by registry cleaner, defraggers, etc. THOSE are really dangeours program, because they try to figure out "useless" (according to them) registry keys, and remove them.

If you haven't used any of these, the only (very rare) possible cause, it's what esellerate consider a minor hardware change.

Which is an hardware change that doesn't *consume* one of your available activations, but it requires an online check nonetheless. This might happen also when updating some drivers, like network drivers, ide drivers, the mainboard bios, etc.

Other than that, there are no other reasons I can think of why the activation question was repeated.

I reactivate FS2004 with the  FS9reg utility and FS2004 and all sceneries seems now to work again .

What is this, exactly ?

swiss1

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 06:57:56 pm »
Many thanks for the quick reply.

Maybe this could be the reasons of my FSDT message:

Yes I am using ccleaner since more than 2years . I never had any issue with this
register cleaner.  On the other side most of software auto unistaller will never clean completely
the register.

Yes I have some problemes with my Nvidea Graphic, which was changed  3 weeks ago.

Concerning the FS9reg utility, I am using this one:

TweakFS Path Utility for FS2004 (Freeware)
 Version 1.4
 TweakFS - Cool Tools for Flight Simulator
 September 21, 2007

Today it's more an more difficult to know, what utility you can use or not use.
Swiss1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:06:26 pm »
Yes I am using ccleaner since more than 2years . I never had any issue with this register cleaner.  On the other side most of software auto unistaller will never clean completely the register.

Our uninstaller doesn't clean your Serial Number and your activation when uninstalling the scenery, for the obvious reason you would be otherwise forced to re-activate each time you uninstall the scenery ( and I could only imagine user's complains, if it did that ).

But this, of course, this might confuse a registry cleaner because, it might decide that entry doesn't belong to any installed application, so it could remove it, that's why I've said those cleaners might create more problems than they fix.