Author Topic: bglmanx.dll error (random)  (Read 5917 times)

bojote

bglmanx.dll error (random)
« on: January 26, 2010, 08:32:19 am »
Hi,

1 out of 10 or 15 times (when starting FSX) the splash screen will freeze and nothing else will happen. The only way to solve this problem is to kill the FSX process and try again. Now, every time I try to run FSX for the 'second' time, I will get a bglmanx.dll error.

The dialog shown tells you that a 'module' failed to load (I'm assuming the dialog refers to the previous time you tried to load FSX) and then you are offered two options: One that says to go ahead and load the module anyway and the other telling you NOT to load it. If you say 'Yes' the module will load and FSX will function properly as if nothing ever happened.

I modified (for testing purporses of course) dll.xml to disable add on manager and do some testing.  After that,  I tried opening FSX like 20-30 times (with add-on manager disabled) and every single time FSX loaded without problems (and loading was very, very fast)

I then re-enabled add-on manager in dll.xml, tried opening FSX and after about the 7th try (opening and closing FSX) the splash screen froze, so I had to kill the FSX process. I then restarted FSX and saw the bglmanx.dll error that I described on the the first and second pharagraphs.

To make absolutely sure it was bglmanx causing the problem I renamed my original dll.xml file and created a new one loading just a single module: bglman.dll. This time, (again) the splash screen froze (after about 15 tries opening and closing the FSX).

Firstm This is NOT a recuring or 'critical' error. It can be definitely seen as a 'rare' ocurrence (because its random in nature, and you see it very, very few times) but I want to know 'what' is causing it.

Could bglmanx.dll be initiliazing (or waiting to initialize) something that is not in a 'ready' state yet? can you take a look at the bglmanx initialization routines? could bglman loading be 'delayed' to make sure the FSX engine initializes and avoid this? I'm not a windows environment programmer, so I'm not sure how DLL loading works, but there is definitely something not right when loading bglman for the very first time. doesn't hurt to check. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: bglmanx.dll error (random)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:02:16 pm »
Have you update it to the current version we uploaded yesterday ? It's 2.7.0.17, it will be downloaded if you install any scenery, or if you run the Stand-alone Addon Manager.

Note that, if you (for testing purposes), keep launching, exiting and restarting FSX many times in a row, it's best to allow some time before each try, not much, but at least 15-20 seconds, to allow all loaded modules, memory and handles to be released, otherwise you'll increase the chance of those kind of troubles. This is especially true for external .EXE loaded in the EXE.XML because, they might be confused by an FSX exiting and loading again too fast, and be stuck on the task manager.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:41:03 pm by virtuali »

bojote

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »
Have you update it to the current version we uploaded yesterday ? It's 2.7.0.17, it will be downloaded if you install any scenery, or if you run the Stand-alone Addon Manager.

Nope.. I will try, remember.. this is not a critical error :) I was just wondering 'what' was causing it. I like to think that everything in my setup is working 100% of the time (it's an obsessive compulsive thing)

Certanly I was *NOT* waiting 15 seconds before the 'opening & closing dance', more like 5 :) anyway, I know (when closing FSX) that is has actually closed all processes because my screeen 'flashes'. Aditionally, I thought that maybe couatl had anything to do, but, it closes BEFORE fsx.exe. I don't have any other 'exe' running in exe.dll just couatl, and the 'opening & closing' of FSX was trying to troubleshoot 'what' was causing (on ocassions) FSX to freeze at the splash screen when loading. On those ocassions I was not opening & closing it repeatedly, granted, its rare. But annoying to enter task explorer and kill it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 06:02:35 pm »
Aditionally, I thought that maybe couatl had anything to do, but, it closes BEFORE fsx.exe.

Couatl can't have anything to do with it, because it's not an FSX module, but an external execuitable, it can't make FSX crash at start.

I would be very interested to know if the new version fixes the problem.

bojote

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:08:40 pm »
I would be very interested to know if the new version fixes the problem.

Congratulations... so far, it seems to have solved it :) I'm using my less than scientific way to test, so far, I have restarted FSX like 20 times, and no error. I'll keep closing and restarting FSX until I get tired.

I'm also really interested in knowing what you did, as I said in another post, I suspect the Level-D depends on a C++ runtime library that has been updated/changed and causes a rare, seldom seen CTD when opening the ground menu. Maybe, the key to solve that CTD is similar to what you did in Add-On manager. May I suggest posting to fsdeveloper if this is the case?

bojote

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:28:22 pm »
BTW, if you are wondering why I'm so obssesed with 'bugs' or problems in my FSX setup it is because in March 2009 (after 30 minutes of making cockpit preparations, getting clerance and right on time for my time slot in cross the pond 2009 (a VATSIM event) I suffered a CTD when opening the Level-D ground menu. Evidently, I lost my slot and departed last that day.

Ever since that problem, I check and re-check my setup for 'potential' problems... so, far the only two were 'Add-On Manager' (when starting FSX and NOT critical) and the level-D CTD ground menu (non-critical as well) because it happens very very few times. However, as a programer I'm pretty sure that even though some times I don't get a CTD something could be leaking memory and it will manifest itself as a CTD in the middle of the atlantic ocean.... so, I'm sorry to be a pest, but afterall it help us all...

P.D still going like the energizer bunny starting and re-starting FSX... no more 'Splash screen freezes'

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:05:17 pm »
and the level-D CTD ground menu (non-critical as well) because it happens very very few times. However, as a programer I'm pretty sure that even though some times I don't get a CTD something could be leaking memory and it will manifest itself as a CTD in the middle of the atlantic ocean.... so, I'm sorry to be a pest, but afterall it help us all...

Wasn't the Level-D crash happening inside NTDLL.DLL ? In that case, I think it's a very different issue, since NTDLL.DLL is part of the basic Windows services, and there's only one NTDLL.DLL in all the system so, it's nothing related to C++ runtimes and the issues of having different versions of the runtimes installed at the same time, which in turns involves WinSxS, and all related complications with manifests, etc.

It might be helpful, soon after it happens, to check the Windows Event viewer to find the error, and report to Level-D people the various error codes of the Event, maybe they might have a better idea what they mean.

bojote

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:28:57 pm »
Wasn't the Level-D crash happening inside NTDLL.DLL ? In that case, I think it's a very different issue, since NTDLL.DLL is part of the

Yes, it is. in fact, its a NTDLL.DLL C000005 error, which is an access violation memory error. I'm guessing its a bad pointer of conflicting memory location but the ocurrence is random, hard to replicate and happens very, very few times. I plan on using process explorer to see the stack and analyze whats going on behind the scenes. as a last resort I'll try to use a Windows Version of the Linux utility strace to see what else I can see.

Its hard to tell a developer about a bug if you can not even have a test case scenario to replicate it. The only solid clue I have so far is that this bug is related somehow to the 'transparent' window use of those menus, maybe a conflict with the FSX ATC (which is already disabled) but maybe it is still creating a conflict. I have some other ideas under my sleeve but, they will have to wait... time for Mass Effect 2 :)