Author Topic: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update March 21st 2024  (Read 145087 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Dec. 23rd
« Reply #255 on: December 25, 2022, 05:32:32 pm »
until this finally is on par with any other installer app

Sure, now we have that little feature of the "other installers" have, the version number.

If any of those will eventually get fault tolerance as well ( the ability for the installer/updater to restore each and every file to their correct state while performing an update ), you might even say they are on par with ours.

WebMaximus

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Dec. 23rd
« Reply #256 on: December 25, 2022, 05:44:23 pm »
Of course you and your software is always the best out there Umberto. I don't think anyone in here has missed that by now ;)

Have a good what's left of the Christmas buddy and thanks for what you've done for the FS community the last year and for us MSFS users in particular!
Richard Åsberg

Keirtt

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Dec. 28th
« Reply #257 on: December 30, 2022, 11:30:22 pm »
Working fine if I update other products, but will not work for GSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #258 on: January 02, 2023, 11:38:53 am »
Working fine if I update other products, but will not work for GSX.

"will not work for GSX", without some kind of indication of errors, messages, or anything like that, makes very difficult to help you.

Deltaflight84

« Reply #259 on: January 06, 2023, 10:33:35 am »
Hi,
a quick question, the "Free this parking from AI" it doesn't free the parking when FSTLtraffic is activated?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #260 on: January 06, 2023, 11:18:19 am »
a quick question, the "Free this parking from AI" it doesn't free the parking when FSTLtraffic is activated?

I'm not sure if it's a question or a problem report. It should work with any AI, surely it will work if the FSTL is used as model replacement only.

If Injection is used, it might be possible the injector create the AI again by the time you need to park, since GSX will never try to constantly keep the parking free: it will remove an AI only in the precise moment you ask to do it, and won't try again until you ask it for removal again.

Also, if the "AI" model you see, is infact a human player, it cannot be removed.

flugmatz

« Reply #261 on: January 10, 2023, 11:38:27 am »
Hi, similar problem here: FSX, EDDM, utLive- can't free occupied gate from AI plane. The gate is reserved for my airline but utLive plane is placed there anyway. Any idea?
Best wishes
Matthias

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #262 on: January 10, 2023, 11:55:02 am »
Hi, similar problem here: FSX, EDDM, utLive- can't free occupied gate from AI plane. The gate is reserved for my airline but utLive plane is placed there anyway. Any idea?

I think you are misunderstanding how the GSX AI removal works: is not "reserving" the gate for you and it's not constantly monitoring the gate to remove anything that goes there.

The AI removal happens only after your request to use the parking anyway, and that's it. If another AI appear after you asked to remove it, you need to ask to remove it again.

WebMaximus

« Reply #263 on: January 15, 2023, 12:02:38 pm »
About the latest updates, I have a question about this. Since some time back now, we have the version number of what version we currently have installed and what is the latest version as seen below:

https://i.imgur.com/s2zFLzj.jpg

Despite this and being on the same version which is said to be the latest one, I got some error messages the last few days when using GSX Pro in MSFS where it gave me a chance to look at some log file but also asked me to run FSDT Live Update. Then I was offered to either restart or quit Couatl. Didn't take a note of the exact error but I was surprised. Since I already knew I had the same version installed which was said to be the latest.

Anyway, I did what it said and ran FSDT Live Update and sure enough, I noticed how it upgraded lots of stuff. After this, I once again ran FSDT Installer to check the version information and whether it changed now after these updates. Still the very same version though, both for what I have installed and what is the latest.

I find this confusing, when you're told you're on the latest version even when you apparently aren't.

I don't doubt you have a good explanation for this Umberto like you always have :-)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 08:43:55 am by virtuali »
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2023, 09:09:48 am »
I got some error messages the last few days when using GSX Pro in MSFS where it gave me a chance to look at some log file but also asked me to run FSDT Live Update. Then I was offered to either restart or quit Couatl. Didn't take a note of the exact error but I was surprised. Since I already knew I had the same version installed which was said to be the latest.

That panic message will always tell you to run the updater, it doesn't do any version checking.

I find this confusing, when you're told you're on the latest version even when you apparently aren't.

Remember when people were shouting and asking to put the mythical version number, "because everybody else does it", and I tried to explain that, a version number without checking every file, one by one, would just give you a false sense of security instead ?

People were "confused" by the previous absence of a version number, but after we added it, nobody ever said it was confused anymore, until now.

Of course, I knew that adding a version number wouldn't make the update process the slightest bit more reliable because:

- telling you a version number won't prevent or fix files eventually gone missing or corrupted locally after an update.

- telling you a version number won't protect you from issue caused by connection problems, like firewall blocking some downloaded files, antivirus blocking others, or your local cloudflare node not getting the latest version of the file the last time you ran the update.

In fact, telling you a version number, might simply mislead you think all our files are ok, when they are not, so you won't be tempted to run the Updater, even if you might need to, but you don't know, because you think you have the "latest version", just because the updater told you so.

I noticed how it upgraded lots of stuff.

"lots of stuff" doesn't mean much. As explained so many times here, and also in the first post of this this very thread, SOME "stuff" will be always downloaded:

- The jetway replacement files.

- The airport services files.

- The custom GSX profiles for FSDT sceneries you have installed.

If you had OTHER "stuff" being downloaded instead, it means you really needed an update.

And, as also explained in the first post of this thread, if you run the update again, and you see the "other stuff" is NOT being downloaded again, you CAN now be sure you REALLY have the latest version of every file.

After this, I once again ran FSDT Installer to check the version information and whether it changed now after these updates. Still the very same version though, both for what I have installed and what is the latest.

Of course the version number might have not changed, and that's precisely what I tried to explain so many times, yet people kept saying I was wrong, and now you see the proof I wasn't:

A version check made "like the others do", using a few crucial files that holds a version information ( in this case, the version of the packages in the manifest.json file ), can be very quick and give you the version immediately, but it cannot be reliable, unless each and every file in the package is checked against the online version, which is EXACTLY what the "Update" button did before, and still does now, the code hasn't changed a bit, just the button will show "Check" instead of "Update", which previously seemed to have confused lots of people assuming the Update sign was a notification, when in fact it was ( and still is ) a full integrity check of each file.

Why the version number hasn't changed in your case ? If you really followed all the explanation so far, it should be clear:

The last time you ran the Updater, you got the latest version of the manifest.json files but for some reason ( firewall, antivirus, cloudflare caching ), you didn't get the latest version of some "other stuff" ( assuming the "stuff" you saw redownloaded is not anything belonging to the 3 categories of "always downloaded" files ), so when you ran the update again, since IT IS a full integrity check and is NOT relying on the version number, precisely because it cannot be trusted, the update realized some files were left out from the last update, so it download them again, as it should do.

WebMaximus

« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2023, 12:46:42 pm »
Thanks for the thorough explanation Umberto and good to know the version information seen in the FSDT Installer can't be trusted for the reasons you point out.

When I wrote lots of other stuff was downloaded, I meant in addition to what is always downloaded. As outlined previously.

This is good information and based on your answer, I'll make a habit of running FSDT Live Update once a week or so. To make sure I don't miss out on any important updates, possibly corrupt or missing files etc.
Richard Åsberg

HeicoH

« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2023, 12:51:53 pm »
In fact, telling you a version number, might simply mislead you think all our files are ok, when they are not, so you won't be tempted to run the Updater, even if you might need to, but you don't know, because you think you have the "latest version", just because the updater told you so.

Does that mean that the version number the installer indicates is just a fake?
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2023, 01:32:03 pm »
Does that mean that the version number the installer indicates is just a fake?

So this is still not clear from my very extensive reply ?

The version number is just the version of the package contained in the package manifest.json layout.

This is NOT any different than, for example, checking and reporting the version number based on the main program .EXE, for a product that is made by hundreds ( in GSX's case, thousands ) of other files that don't have any inherent way to check their version, like textures, sounds, etc.

The ONLY way to know if all the other files are the correct version, would be to check each and every file against the online version, which is exactly what the "Update/Check" button does so, if for any reason you DID get the latest manifest.json, but some other files might have not being downloaded, for a series of reasons I already indicated in my previous reply, then yes, the version number cannot be trusted.

But suppose the updater didn't do a proper check for all files and, instead, trusted the version number, possibly disabling the update button because it "assumed" that, just because you ran the updater after a new version came out ( you do have the latest layout.json after all ), didn't do anything: not only you would be stuck with some outdated files, but you wouldn't even KNOW you had a problem!

Instead, the updater knows that, when the internet is concerned, it shouldn't assume anything and bad things can happen, or you might just have lost a file, altered it by mistake, lost due to local corruption, filesystem issues, any number or reasons not even related to the internet, it doesn't matter. What matters is, no matter WHY some of your files might not be the correct version, the updater is always able to recognize that, because it always check for all of them, each time.

Basically, the version number is there just as information for users, just because users asked for it, just because other installers/updaters use it. But the updater itself doesn't change the way it works, which was always correct and reliable before, and is still correct and reliable now. The ONLY use of the version number in the updater, is showing the button as "Update" or "Check", depending if the version numbers are matching or not, and that's it.

TheCaptain3618

• TheCaptain3618
    • Google
Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Jan 21st 2023
« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2023, 07:55:37 am »
Google has restored the file to Google Drive. They Treated it as a Safe File. Restore the Google Link Now.
TheCaptain3618

pinolo1978

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Jan 21st 2023
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2023, 01:23:38 pm »
https://imgur.com/a/MCbPwwQ

why after updating both via installer and offline, I always have this awful graphics?