Author Topic: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update March 21st 2024  (Read 143337 times)

WebMaximus

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Nov. 15th
« Reply #240 on: November 23, 2022, 08:43:31 am »
When you update the offline installer, would it be possible to also include any object models or textures or new operators updates?

To have one way making sure your installation of GSX Pro is 100% up to date without any manual intervention?

As for other updaters which you in your usual Umberto way dumb down, I very rarely had any version issues and I'm a high consumer who's been in this hobby for 30+ years...
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #241 on: November 23, 2022, 10:52:40 am »
When you update the offline installer, would it be possible to also include any object models or textures or new operators updates?

No, because the Live Updater works. First, when we add files and textures for new operators, it's not possible having versioning issues due to server replication, because...it's a new file, it was never there in the first place, so you couldn't possibly get outdated files of a file that never existed before on the cloudfare network.

And, it would make the offline installer grow unnecessarily larger and larger, eventually reaching the same size as a full installer, since in a few years we might updated everything, which would defy the purpose of having a Live Update that only downloads what it's required to download.

In fact, sooner or later the Offline installer will likely be retired, since the only reason of possibly getting outdated files, is that Cloudflare couldn't keep up with replicating more than 30.000 files on their network after the initial release, it took several weeks for their network of servers to catch up, but nobody is really seem to have issues lately, when we only update a few files at a time.

That's the one and only reason why an Offline installer was required.

As for other updaters which you in your usual Umberto way dumb down, I very rarely had any version issues and I'm a high consumer who's been in this hobby for 30+ years...

If you read my explanation, you should have understood that you couldn't even possibly KNOW you had "version issues" with other updaters that don't check every file, one by one, every time, for its proper hash.

WebMaximus

« Reply #242 on: November 23, 2022, 10:55:43 am »
Thank you Umberto, I rest my case.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #243 on: November 23, 2022, 11:05:03 am »
Thank you Umberto, I rest my case.

You are every right to do that, but at the same time, I'll keep trying to make you understand the facts.

TheCaptain3618

• TheCaptain3618
    • Google
« Reply #244 on: November 23, 2022, 01:22:14 pm »
I can't update to the latest version of GSX And L2 Expansion for P3Dv4.5 HF3. Updaters and the Universal Installer are not downloading the latest version. I even downloaded the latest file and still no luck.
TheCaptain3618

Mr.Rick

« Reply #245 on: November 23, 2022, 01:24:35 pm »
Can we have a thread that _just_ has the updates in it and no one can post, I dont want to get a email everytime someone has a grumble on this thread, I just want to know when there is a update!

dmr_w10

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Dec. 16th
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2022, 02:01:54 pm »
Hello -

Regarding the update on Dec 16, the offline installer shows the Dec 13 update as 2.1.12 - does this make the Dec 16th 2.1.13?  If so, is there a way to tell if my system has the latest updates?  I recall reading in a post that the live update will always download some files. I only ask as I seem to have new issues after the last update I ran with the live update and offline installer.  I will post in a new thread.

Thank you

David.

skyworker71

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Dec. 21st
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2022, 09:54:58 pm »
Dec 21 offline installer can't access via Google

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Dec. 21st
« Reply #248 on: December 22, 2022, 11:00:14 am »
Dec 21 offline installer can't access via Google

Stupid Google has again mistakenly detected the file as "malicious", because of their defective heuristics. That's why we have an alternate link on Mediafire, while we wait for Google to rectify their mistake.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Dec. 16th
« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2022, 11:06:01 am »
Regarding the update on Dec 16, the offline installer shows the Dec 13 update as 2.1.12 - does this make the Dec 16th 2.1.13?  If so, is there a way to tell if my system has the latest updates?  I recall reading in a post that the live update will always download some files. I only ask as I seem to have new issues after the last update I ran with the live update and offline installer. 

It's all in the first post of this thread, which explains that some files are always supposed to be downloaded so, they one and only time you need the Offline installer, is ONLY if you see that files OTHER than the ones indicated in the Sticky thread are being downloaded, over and over, for example if you run the Live Update twice in a row.

That's indicates your local Cloudflare node hasn't got the latest files yet, so either you wait, or you use the Offline installer. No other uses for the Offline installer, other as a backup in case your node is not updated yet, and it's no replacement for the Live Update, since the Offline installer only includes the main program code, not everything.

This means, if you run JUST the Live Updater, you HAVE the latest version, UNLESS your local cloudflare node hasn't got the latest files ( which you can check as explained above ). In THAT case, you need to DOWNLOAD the Offline installer, and run it AFTER having run the Live Update.

dmr_w10

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Dec. 23rd
« Reply #250 on: December 23, 2022, 09:59:59 pm »
Thank you.

Thank you for adding the version number to the program.  It identified that my version was not updating, per the display I was on 0.1.X now on 2.1.15.

WebMaximus

« Reply #251 on: December 23, 2022, 10:28:25 pm »
That indeed is a welcome addition, being able to see what version you're on. Especially with all small updates released all the time.

Where exactly can you find the version information now that it has been added?
Richard Åsberg

Thomasba

« Reply #252 on: December 24, 2022, 10:38:06 am »
It's right there
Regards
Brian

WebMaximus

« Reply #253 on: December 24, 2022, 10:42:42 am »
Great! Wasn't close to my PC when asking but will check it out next time 👍
Richard Åsberg

Ankh

« Reply #254 on: December 24, 2022, 11:25:56 am »
Thanks for the update to the installer. Was it that hard? It took FSDT only about 10y until this finally is on par with any other installer app, not that much so I am happy that we finally got it now ;-)