Author Topic: Low FPS On External View  (Read 2599 times)

nobleord

• Noble Air - ORD Hub
Low FPS On External View
« on: July 30, 2022, 07:19:51 am »
Something odd on my last two flights arriving at KCLT.  When pulling up to the gate I switched to external view to see the parking lines and the FPS dropped by 50% (40 to 20).  I switched back view from external and back a second time with the same low frames.  I then switched back to the flight deck to shut down the plane.  After requesting the jetway I switched back to external view and now the frames were normal.  The first flight arrived in concourse C and the second in concourse A.  Not sure why the frames are reduced on the initial external view?

I don't recall having the same issue departing KCLT.

Thanks,
Bryan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Low FPS On External View
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 01:35:36 pm »
Nothing in the scenery changes what is being loaded depending if the view is internal or external, it's all handled by the simualtor. There might be some differences when it's in Avatar mode, but not in normal airplane mode.

What changes, instead, are the airplane gauges not being refreshed in external view, that makes a huge difference, depending on the airplane. As usual, the overall fps is never caused by a single factor, it's a combination between many things added together. Before pointing fingers at the airport, always test with a default airplane first.

BTW, you haven't said anything about your configuration, like the airplane used or even the simulator used, and nothing about your system, so it's difficult to guess what your problem might be.

nobleord

• Noble Air - ORD Hub
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 10:54:30 pm »
I'll do some more testing.  Wasn't pointing fingers at the scenery... just posting a recent behavior that I was experiencing when arriving MSFS KCLT.  I am using the PMDG 737-700.  Two flights in June did not have this behavior.  The last 3 flights arriving KCLT 36R/18L in the same aircraft have had the initial low FPS in the external view.  I only switched to external view when pulling up to the gate.  The next time I fly into KCLT I will try switching to external view sooner to see if it also occurs away from the terminal/gate area.

Basic specs: AMD Ryzen 3700X, 32BG RAM, RTX 2070 Super 8GB

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 11:03:23 am »
Two flights in June did not have this behavior. 

That's settles it. The last file which was updated at KCLT, the AFCAD, dates April 2020. There hasn't been any updates to the scenery ever since. And there wasn't been any updates to the sim itself since January. 2021, when the latest hotfix for P3D 5.3 came out.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:04:54 am by virtuali »

nobleord

• Noble Air - ORD Hub
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 04:38:20 pm »
Just to confirm... this is in MSFS not P3D.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 04:51:59 pm »
Just to confirm... this is in MSFS not P3D.

Ok, I'm sorry, I just didn't noticed which section we were in, because I know KCLT in P3D could use some optimizations, because it came out the day after P3D 4.0 was released, so it was an hybrid between FSX and P3D code, with lots of complex handling done by GSX/Couatl to make out the differences between the two sim, trying to use 64 bit larger memory, without losing compatibility with FSX, which was still used by many people in 2017.

In MSFS, it's even likely to be caused by the airport, which one of the very few airports currently in the market that use multiple LOD levels *extensively* ( it didn't had any in P3D ) and, comparing to the P3D version, it doesn't even have any of our specific features like Docking systems, which were added by GSX so, it should have a much better fps in MSFS than in P3D, both because is more optimized, but also because it has less features, which will came back with GSX.

It is BY FAR our best optimized scenery, and one of the most fps-optimized scenery out there for MSFS. If and when Asobo/MS will enforce the LOD restrictions they gave developers some months to adapt first, KCLT will be the only scenery you'll be able to use without requiring any updates, since it's already done following the best practice for fps and memory optimization.

Also in this case, the last scenery update happened in March so, if your flight in June didn't shows any issues, it clearly can't be caused by the scenery either.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 04:54:53 pm by virtuali »