Author Topic: GSX, GSX2, Universal Installer... very confusing, and issues  (Read 801 times)

mozart

Hi,

I am running P3Dv4.5 and I want to re-install my GSX/GSX2 setup.

It's all a bit confusing, and I could do with some help:

• On the website where I download GSX and GSX2 it says that GSX2 is an extension of GSX, and that GSX is required to GSX2. Consequently I want to start with installing GSX. But I realise that the file names and sizes are identical for GSX and GSX2, and that they seem to be installing the same things. So do I really need to install both files? If not, which one shall I install?
  • I have downloaded the Universal Installer. Running the .exe file two items are created on my desktop, one called "FSDT Live Update", the other one "FSDT Installer". Whenever I try either of them they start downloading six files, and then quit. I never get to the screen where I enter registration data, etc. What is wrong? What do I need to do differently?

FYI, I have set COATL to pass through the antivirus in Norton360, so that isn't the issue.

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: GSX, GSX2, Universal Installer... very confusing, and issues
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 12:31:59 am »
The GSX installers are one and the same, so you only need to run one of them. When you then load P3D and go in to activate GSX, you do need the activation key for both.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX, GSX2, Universal Installer... very confusing, and issues
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 01:28:56 am »
- Yes, the GSX installer is one and the same, the only thing that activates the L2 features is your license. When the sites says GSX is required to use GSX L2, it's ONLY from a licensing point of view, to clarify you cannot buy "just" an L2 license and expect it to work, you need to buy the base GSX as well, that's what "Expansion" means. 

Nothing to do with the installer. The same page, when describing the installer for L2, says it includes both GSX and GSX L2, precisely for the reason to tell you don't need to DOWNLOAD 2 "things", but you surely need to BUY 2 things.

- GSX, like all our FSX/P3D Products, is SOLD IN TRIAL, which is why you are not asked for a key during setup: how could you be able to try it, if you needed a license to install ? GSX, like all FSX/P3D products, is activated from within the sim, in the Addon Manager menu.

- The Universal Installer can't install FSX/P3D Product. It doesn't need to, because their installer can always be freely downloaded. The install feature is only for MSFS Products, that don't have a Trial, and since download links on Digital River expire after 30 days, the Universal Installer solves that problem of users losing their installer which, again, was only a problem in MSFS, not FSX/P3D.

- The Universal Installer CAN also be used to Activate/Deactivate FSX/P3D Products, it's just an alternative of activating within the sim. And can also be used as an updater. The program it's exactly the same just with different interfaces depending which icon you use to start it.

If you start with with the "Update" icon, it will download only the files that needs to be updated, for all products, then it will quit, and yes, this is normal, because the Update interface is supposed to be used to quickly update everything, possibly before starting a flight, so it doesn't annoy you with a useless extra confirmation at the end ( there's nothing to confirm, after everything is updated, the only meaningful choice at that point would be exiting, which is what the program does ).

Instead, if you start it with the "Installer" icon, you are in control of what to Update, what to activate, deactivate, read the manual, etc.