Author Topic: Landing KORD at night, no lights  (Read 5574 times)

Daniel Baker

Landing KORD at night, no lights
« on: May 01, 2022, 05:14:26 pm »
Hi,

P3Dv5.3 HF2

I landed at KORD at night and had no dynamic lights at any of the gates.  I parked at gate E7 and had to keep my taxi lights on to be able to see the gate markings.

I know KORD uses special dynamic lighting, so perhaps I've done something to disable it without knowing?

Any ideas on what I should look for?

Thanks,

Daniel

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Landing KORD at night, no lights
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 09:04:56 am »
There's an option to turn them on/off from the KORD YouControl Menu.

However, this will only control the extra apron lights, but you should always see some light, because basic lighting is included in the scenery in any case, so it will never be pitch black, the software controlled Dynamic lights are the additional lights that, if they weren't generated dynamically, would have killed the fps, so only the 7-8 closest to the terminal you are on will be lit. Those are the ones that can be controlled by the menu.

Daniel Baker

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 01:42:12 am »
I'm not sure where I find those options to turn the lights on/off - how do you get to it?

If I start at KORD, I get the extra apron lights (very dim), but there is no basic lighting.  Can you tell what those file are, in case I've accidentally deleted them?

Thanks,

Daniel

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 05:32:47 pm »
I'm not sure where I find those options to turn the lights on/off - how do you get to it?

Are you aware KORD has its own menu, with many options ? It's the YouControl menu, by default it's CTRL+F12, many FSDT sceneries have it.

If I start at KORD, I get the extra apron lights (very dim), but there is no basic lighting.

Interesting, so you get the only lights we control ourselves from our code ( the apron lights ), but not the background lights that are completely outside of our control and handled by the sim itself.

Can you tell what those file are, in case I've accidentally deleted them?

If you run the FSDT Live Update, it will reinstate any file you might have possibly removed.

Daniel Baker

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 03:06:58 am »
I'll try the installer and see if that fixes the issue, thanks.

Are you aware KORD has its own menu, with many options ? It's the YouControl menu, by default it's CTRL+F12, many FSDT sceneries have it.

I had no idea, wow thanks.  And I own a bunch of sceneries and products from FSdreamteam...

Daniel Baker

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 03:31:13 am »
If you run the FSDT Live Update, it will reinstate any file you might have possibly removed.

Hmmm... unfortunately this didn't do it.  What files am I missing?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 12:44:07 pm »
Hmmm... unfortunately this didn't do it.  What files am I missing?

If you ran the FSDT Live Update on KORD, you can be sure you have all the files required. If you still don't see the static lights, which are handled entirely by the sim rather than our software, the only explanation might be some kind of issue with the sim itself, possibly a bug.

In fact, it was a known issue that, sometimes, dynamic lights don't show up on arrival, and sometimes don't show up at all. I thought it was fixed, apparently not entirely, but we never paid much attention to it, since *most* of our dynamic lights are handled by our software, so they were unaffected by this bug.

Daniel Baker

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 03:26:00 am »
Okay, I think I follow you.  So then the reason I have dynamic light at my fsimstudios cyvr and DD KJFK is because they use their own dynamic lights, not the static lights handled by the sim itself as in KORD?

So either I have to track down the source of the issues of the static P3D dynamic lights issue, or we'd need replacement static lights for the one currently at KORD (that are handled by the sim)? 

So unless FSDreamteam decides to use only their own lights at KORD, it's up to me to try and find the solution: would you have any suggestion as to where I would start that process? At the Prepared forum?

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel Baker

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 04:26:43 am »
...and just in case I'm misrepresenting what's going on here, I've attached a few screen shots. 

- Daniel

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 05:07:18 pm »
It seems the problem is as I've said: you have our dynamic lights working, but not those from the sim. However, your screenshots are in general way too dark, have you possibly changed something, like using a 3rd party shader modification ?

Daniel Baker

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 03:20:20 am »
Yes, but I also tried restoring that and deleting the shader folder and still got no dynamic lights, unfortunately.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 07:51:41 am »
Yes, but I also tried restoring that and deleting the shader folder and still got no dynamic lights, unfortunately.

That won't solve the problem of dynamic lights not always appearing, because it's a known bug of the sim ( which is another reason why we implemented our own custom method for apron lights ), but it should at least make the whole night view a bit less dark.

Daniel Baker

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 02:24:43 pm »
Will do, and I do not doubt you are correct.

Can I just return to point of getting light in FSDreamteam KORD; I find myself wishing you used your excellent lighting system everywhere in your scenery instead of the buggy P3D lighting you mention.  How do I go about restoring that P3D light in KORD?

Thanks,
Daniel
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 12:46:28 pm by Daniel Baker »

Daniel Baker

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2022, 12:53:38 pm »
Sorry, I had written "I doubt you are correct" but meant to write "I do not doubt you are correct" and I have probably offended you. I've corrected it in the post now.

Daniel Baker

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2022, 01:02:18 pm »
Am I supposed to have an "add-on.xml" file in this directory?