Author Topic: Live Update Just Closes After Step 12 **SOLVED**  (Read 1964 times)

nobleord

• Noble Air - ORD Hub
Live Update Just Closes After Step 12 **SOLVED**
« on: March 05, 2022, 08:26:56 pm »
Hi,

This may be similar to other recent posts on Live Update.  The last two days when I run Live Update it gets up to step 12 of 35 and then just closes.  No errors or messages.  In the past the update would go through all of the steps and then say "completed" to let me know everything was done and then I would close the window.  I am running on Windows 10 with all of the same settings as I have always used.  Also, have P3Dv4.5 and MSFS installed on system... but do not currently have any FSDT addons installed for MSFS... just P3D.

Not sure if this is a problem or expected behavior... just all of a sudden different.

Thanks,
Bryan
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 04:02:48 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Live Update Just Closes After Step 12
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 04:02:39 pm »
This has been already discussed in many other threads and yes, of course, it's not a bug, it's the intended behaviour.

First, even the previous version NEVER performed all the steps. In order to see all steps performed, you would need to have ALL the FSDT products installed so, unless you are in that situation, you won't ever see all steps performed. The only change in this version, there are less steps, because now the update is way faster, since many steps are made in a single go so, the total number of steps is lower than it used to be.

With this version, we thought to save you from an extra click on the Exit button, which doesn't do anything. Since after updating all products, you are not supposed to do anything other than exit the application, what's the point of having you to click on an Exit button, since Exiting is the ONLY thing you are supposed to do ? So, we saved the extra last click, to make the app even easier to use...

But also because, when the SAME updater is run in "Installer" mode, by starting it from the "FSDT Installer", THERE is where you can "play" with things, decide what to update, check the news, manage licenses, etc. so, considering you have full control in THIS mode, we simplified the update-only mode, which is the one you are not supposed to do anything.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
Re: Live Update Just Closes After Step 12
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 08:17:44 pm »
With this version, we thought to save you from an extra click on the Exit button, which doesn't do anything. Since after updating all products, you are not supposed to do anything other than exit the application, what's the point of having you to click on an Exit button, since Exiting is the ONLY thing you are supposed to do ? So, we saved the extra last click, to make the app even easier to use...

Umberto, I appreciate you had the best of intentions when removing the need for the user to press the Exit button to terminate the program. But when an application disappears off the screen my first thought is that it’s crashed.

I ran the updated this morning and then diverted my attention to another computer as I knew it would stop when it required me to confirm if I wanted to keep my AFCADs or have them replaced.

When I looked back a couple of minutes later and didn’t see the updates I assumed it had crashed. I checked the Event Viewer but nothing there.

I then visited the forum and found posts that had the same issue and your response. Please consider adding a Process Completed box. It gives the user reassurance the process had completed without problem. Having to press an OK button is no great shakes.  ;)
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

Morten

Re: Live Update Just Closes After Step 12 **SOLVED**
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 12:37:59 am »
I agree. Umberto good intentions from you as always! But you really have to change this user interface - with no response from the installer whatsoever, everyone of course thinks that the updater must have crashed! Please put into the end of this application, something like: "No update is needed" 

Cheers,
Morten

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Live Update Just Closes After Step 12 **SOLVED**
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 10:29:05 am »
with no response from the installer whatsoever, everyone of course thinks that the updater must have crashed! Please put into the end of this application, something like: "No update is needed" 

It's not true you get "no response" from the installer. You get "no response" from the UPDATER. The updater is supposed to do everything automatically with no user intervention, that's why all the useless interaction has been removed from it, because you are not supposed to play with it, just "fire and forget", you start it, and you can be *SURE* everything will be updated when it exits, that's why is pointless to ask you permission to exit, when there's nothing else for it to do other than exit.

The INSTALLER, instead, is where you are in control of everything, and it gives you plenty of feedback of what's going on and where you can decide what to update.

It's just you were accustomed to the "old" updater, which was your only way of interaction so yes, if that was the only way to interact with the update process, I would agree the extra confirmation might have been useful. But now, since there's the alternate "Installer" interface, the extra confirmation in the "updater" interface doesn't make much sense.

Many users said they always run the Updater before starting a flight. Since we obviously listen to feedback, we made this way less painful, because now the updater could be even run FROM A BATCH FILE that starts the sim, something that would be very annoying if there was still that extra useless confirmation dialog telling you everything is updated, which is the only possible outcome at the end of the updater, if there are no errors.

And yes, of course, if there are serious errors, like connection problems, the updater WILL stop to tell you so no, it's not you won't even know if there has been a problem.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 10:34:47 am by virtuali »