Author Topic: [MSFS] Checkerboard Pattern  (Read 2772 times)

Phil

[MSFS] Checkerboard Pattern
« on: January 10, 2022, 05:53:45 pm »
Hello and Happy New Year to everyone reading!

So since I've installed the latest fsdt LFSB addon with quite some troubles, I decieded to do it all fresh off the start again. I did that several times in fact to be precise, since a lot of things just didnt want to go they way they were supposed to go. Anyways, now that I finally got it working (I changed nothing with the files whatsoever, just ran the airport installer and the fsdt live update), I'm noticing that a large area of the airport is covered in a white checkerboard pattern.

Any way I can fix that? Reinstalling would not be preferable since I've tried that many times but it also causes issues that the whole scenery won't load in the simulator at all.
Best regards

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: [MSFS] Checkerboard Pattern
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 11:23:44 am »
I did that several times in fact to be precise, since a lot of things just didnt want to go they way they were supposed to go.

You should be more precise about this, because it might give some clue about your current problem.

Anyways, now that I finally got it working (I changed nothing with the files whatsoever, just ran the airport installer and the fsdt live update)

Since the installer runs the updater at the end automatically, so there's absolutely no difference between running just the installer or the installer + the updater, that's the standard installation procedure and, since the installer hasn't been updated in a while, something must have happened to your sim between the before and after.

I'm noticing that a large area of the airport is covered in a white checkerboard pattern.

I tried that, and the problem doesn't happen. And, as you can see in this forum, nobody ever reported it before, and the last update for the scenery was sometime in July 2021, with some textures updated in November, to better support SU7 which fixed some issues with bad colors due texture compression that requires a recompile with the latest SDK.

Reinstalling would not be preferable since I've tried that many times but it also causes issues that the whole scenery won't load in the simulator at all

Reinstalling shouldn't cause that because, what the installer does, is just copy files and link them to your Community folder. The only thing that MIGHT go wrong, usually because of your antivirus or firewall blocking the updater, is during the Update process. There, the main airport file is downloaded after checking your license.

If that fails, either because the license is not active OR because your antivirus/firewall is blocking the download, then yes, you'll see NO airport whatsoever (just the background satellite image from Bing), but you should see that problem reported by the updater. If the updater said the license has been verified and the airport .BGL file has been digitally signed successfully, then you can be 100% sure ALL files have been installed and if they don't show up, it's a problem in the sim, likely with the Community folder.

For example, some kind of permission problem in the Community folder might prevent the installer to create the Symbolic link to the Addon Manager folder, which is what normally does.

Another problem I can think of, is if you manually copied the package files from the Addon Manager folder to the Community folder, trying to "fix" your initial problem, and this should NEVER be done because, if you do that, our updater will continue to update in the Addon Manager folder ( relying on the fact the files are LINKED to the Community folder, so they are the same ), but if you put a REAL copy of the package manually in the Community folder, the simulator will see that, and that might be outdated and, in addition to that, our installer won't be able to create the symbolic link, because a real copy of the files is already there.

So, if you want to start from scratch again, go in the Community folder and REMOVE the fsdreateam basel package from there, then Reinstall the scenery so, we should be reasonably sure the link will be created and will point to the correct folder ( the Addon Manager\MSFS folder ), so the updater will update the same files the simulator is using.

Phil

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 04:04:27 pm »
Allright, after a few more tries of reinstalling the checkerboard pattern is now gone. Now another problem in the form of missing textures came up. I reinstalled everything I had from fsdt using the uninstallers and fully restored it. But the issue persist. I also ran the live updater.
Missing textures are of the Jet Aviation hanger, the blast shielding next to it and also the fire department in the north of the airport.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 10:31:32 am »
I'm sorry but, I cannot reproduce the problem, see the attached screenshots, one during Stormy weather, to be sure the issue wasn't related to fog/weather, and another in clear weather.

I reinstalled everything I had from fsdt using the uninstallers and fully restored it.

Try to follow my previous suggestion to the letter. I haven't said to "uninstall", I said:

if you want to start from scratch again, go in the Community folder and REMOVE the fsdreateam basel package from there, then Reinstall the scenery so, we should be reasonably sure the link will be created and will point to the correct folder ( the Addon Manager\MSFS folder ), so the updater will update the same files the simulator is using.

This because, if during your unsuccessful tries, at some time you copied the package to the Community folder, our uninstaller WILL NOT remove it, because the Uninstaller assumes the files are located in their proper place ( the Addon Manager\MSFS folder ) so, it won't remove them if they have been manually copied to the Community, the Uninstaller assumes the Community should only contain A SHORTCUT to the files, so it will only remove the shortcut, but it can't do that if there are real files there.

That's why I said to manually remove any folders in the Community and THEN reinstall from scratch.