Author Topic: PAPI VASI Guidance Way Off **SOLVED**  (Read 2841 times)

N76055

• AirTeamImages
PAPI VASI Guidance Way Off **SOLVED**
« on: January 14, 2022, 10:06:34 pm »
Good day, all the DFW PAPI seem to be at a 0 degree angle. No matter how far below the glideslope I go, I only have four whites, too high...

Can we get guidance on how to completely disable these PAPIs and just use AFCAD-editable PAPIs like every single other quality payware scenery.

Four white PAPI regardless of height..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwzWZt_ckzk

17L Four white PAPI, with a stock PAPI baked into a modified AFCAD to show how it should look..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA5hcZ9m-eY

Same issue at LAX..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ddoeU50VqE

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 09:26:05 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: PAPI VASI Guidance Way Off
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 09:25:59 am »
Can we get guidance on how to completely disable these PAPIs and just use AFCAD-editable PAPIs like every single other quality payware scenery.

What these two sceneries have, that NO other scenery has, is a completely CUSTOM PAPI, which features the FAROS system and the RWSL systems. From 3:06 in your KLAX video, we can see them working perfectly: the 24L runway has an  AI holding short, so the FAROS is making the PAPI flashing, and the row of red lights that make the THL (Take off Hold Lights) section of the RWLS system for that runway are lit.

Having said that (and thank you for the change to show off a feature NO "other quality payware airport" has ), there's an explanation why this is happening, and it's because you opened a 2nd Window to show the plane from the outside!

The custom PAPI is calculation is based on your point of view ( they Eyepoint position ), and it seems the variable for the eye point changes if you open a 2nd window, and the 2nd window always gets the priority over the main window even if you click on the main window, which means the custom PAPI calculation will be affected by the position of the camera in the 2nd window.

Now, it gets even better, which suggests me this might be a bug in the sim: if you UNDOCK the 2nd window, everything goes back to normal: the eyepoint variable is always updated based on the eyepoint of the main window, regardless if the 2nd (now undocked) window is in focus or not.

So, what really found here, is not a bug in the scenery, but strange behavior of the additional camera views, which affects the internal simulation variables in a DIFFERENT way, depending if they are Docked or Undocked.

N76055

• AirTeamImages
Re: PAPI VASI Guidance Way Off **SOLVED**
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 06:24:23 pm »
Great, so how can we disable your 'CUSTOM PAPI'? It doesn't work for me and the way I use the Sim.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: PAPI VASI Guidance Way Off **SOLVED**
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 11:53:22 am »
Great, so how can we disable your 'CUSTOM PAPI'? It doesn't work for me and the way I use the Sim.

You cannot disable the custom PAPI and we don't have any plans to allow you to do that, because nobody else complained about this before, and this scenery came out in 2010, that is almost 12 years ago.

Clearly, the vast majority of users either didn't noticed or never mind having to undock the 2nd View to get the PAPI working, when they land with a 2nd view enabled.

Because this is what's is really happening here: a difference is behavior of the 2nd View, that updates the eyepoint variable in a DIFFERENT way, depending if the Window is DOCKED or UNDOCKED.

Because that's where the real issue here: it's not as if the custom PAPI "doesn't work", because it obviously does. And it's not you are somehow prevented to even use a 2nd View, because you obviously can. It's just that, if you need to keep a 2nd View opened while landing, it must be UNDOCKED, and that's it.