Author Topic: ILS 9C not working properly with Aerosoft CRJ: not issue with scenery itself  (Read 2153 times)

Floridaman

KORD 9C loc / ILS not working properly. I flew the ILS 9C off of NORDL today on the ILS freq. 111.9 listed on the real world chart and the aircraft would not intercept the LOC or the GS. I kept ending up north of the runway and getting yelled at by the VATSIM controller. Is this something you can look into? The instruments in the aircraft showed me aligned with the LOC and the diamond for the GS but the AP would not actually pick them up and fly them. This was in the AS CRJ-700. I have flown other ILS approaches in the aircraft and they work just fine, so it seems to be something with the KORD scenery.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 04:04:41 am by Floridaman »

Floridaman

Re: ILS 9C not working properly
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 05:22:52 am »
After further testing tonight in the AS CRJ-900 I can confirm that on the approach from NORDL for 9C the LOC has you aligned with the left side of the runway and not the centerline. I've noticed the same on the ILS for runway 10C that it puts you off to the left of the runway. For 9C, as you approach the threshold the LOC brings you to the centerline last second but appears to be misaligned with the CRS that should be 093 according to real life approach plates. Thats why on a 10, 5 and 3 mile final ATC sees you north of the runway and off the approach, the LOC keeps you north of the runway until the last second where you then end up aligned down the centerline but from an off-center approach. The GS does work properly from what I can tell. You guys might need to adjust the LOC for 9C, 10C and possibly all runways to be true to the CRS in real life. I am aware there are offset ILS RPM approaches for 10R, I did not test that runway to see if the LOC 2.5 offset / CRS are correct, but I can tell you the LOC / CRS or positioning of the LOC for 9C and 10C are not correct and must be set north of both runways, for 9C most of the ILS approach you are one full runway width north of the runway. Flying on VATSIM they yell at you if you let your navigation fly you to the runway because you end up in the NTZ and misaligned north of the runway. Here is a screen shot showing the LOC centerline off to the right on the PFD and the track to the runway being north of the left side of 9C. Hope this helps identify where the issue might lie, hopefully it can be corrected. This is a great scenery but the inaccuracy makes flying ILS approaches on VATSIM hard to do.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 05:37:03 am by Floridaman »

Floridaman

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 04:42:57 pm »
After even more testing, this time with the FBW A320NX, the A320 tracks dead center on the LOC and GS, so the issue may lie with the AS CRJ. Has anyone else tested the ILS to 9C with other aircraft or the same aircraft I've mentioned and experienced any issues? The A320 seems to work fine and be perfectly aligned with the runway and track the LOC / GS straight as it should.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 10:42:23 am »
After even more testing, this time with the FBW A320NX, the A320 tracks dead center on the LOC and GS, so the issue may lie with the AS CRJ.

Of course it does and, as as general suggestion when reporting any problems with a scenery, is to always check with a DEFAULT airplane first, before saying the scenery is "unaccurate" or requires "fixing".

KORD, of course, is accurate as it can be and, as a proper MSFS scenery, use the ( silly, in my opinion ) method of ILS having to be specified in Magnetic heading instead of True heading like it was for every simulator since FS9 and possibly even way before that.

Since MSFS now considers the heading to be Magnetic, a way to make it easy to have the ILS perfectly aligned to the runway, which is also suggested by Asobo when several developers inquired about this change, is to set the Magvar for the ILS to 0, and set the True heading so, the readout in the instruments will be correct, because it will add the overall Magnetic variation of the airport itself.

For example, KORD 9C runway as a perfect 90 degrees True heading, and we set the ILS to be perfect 90 degrees with a 0 Magvar. This achieves the result of having the ILS PERFECTLY aligned with the runway, as you noticed, with the instrumentation showing 93 degrees, which is the real world magnetic value, because the airport has a 3 degrees W variation.

Now, I can't possibly say which the ILS works as it should on default A320 (FBW is based on default) and not on Aerosoft. Some 3rd party airplanes use their own internal navigation database instead of relying on the default system so, the data they are using is not even coming from the scenery itself.

Floridaman

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 03:50:16 am »
Appreciate the explanation, I enjoy the scenery. So far the only aircraft I have the issue with is the Aerosoft CRJ, every other aircraft I try flies the ILS perfectly, and I'm sure you've heard of the 'great' support given by Aerosoft, or their willingness to admit something is wrong with their product, so it looks like I will have to stick to other aircraft into / out of KORD, as the CRJ does use a 3rd party nav database.

Look forward to future updates you guys put out for KORD. It is one of the best sceneries I have purchased for MFS to date.

I updated the title of this thread to accurately reflect the issue (and hopefully help others that might come here for the same issue), but feel free to close this topic I think the issue has been pinpointed to the developer of the CRJ. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 04:09:04 am by Floridaman »