Author Topic: KIAH Runways  (Read 3396 times)

stro19

KIAH Runways
« on: December 30, 2021, 07:41:02 pm »
Hello,
Im using P3Dv5.3 and ActiveSky. Why isnt KIAH using runways 15L/R. Winds are 169/8 and it still sent me to runway 9. When taking off from runway 8R, it sent me to the northside of the runway then down to take off position.
SaintJoe

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: KIAH Runways
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 02:52:53 am »
What is "it", default ATC? A little difficult to try to figure this one out when I have no idea what "it" is.
Captain Kevin

stro19

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 03:53:02 am »
Yes default ATC with Active Sky.
SaintJoe

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 09:59:24 am »
I've moved this post in the correct section of the forum.

The 15s runways has been intentionally closed for landing, following users suggestions, to both reflect normal real life usage and to have a better AI traffic distribution:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,10503.0.html

Is there a way to change how AI aircraft utilize the runways at KIAH. On 98% of the days at Bush, departures will be off of the 15's and arrivals on the westerly runways. I have ultimate traffic 2 and all of the traffic seems to take place on 15/33's. This results in severe traffic jamss and go arounds and empty terminals. I am a real world pilot and operate heavily around the Houston area and have been simming since 95.

So, following this advice, we closed the two 15s for landing.

Unfortunately, the way default ATC works, doesn't allow to have a runway "closed most of times EXCEPT when wind is really strong and there's no better option". It's either closed or it's not so, obviously, we gave preference to simulate what according to this user that is a real world pilot that operates from KIAH, is the most common situation, which also seems to improve AI distribution and gate assignment after landing.

Note that, even if they runways were opened, in YOUR example it won't have changed anything, since 8 knots (actually it's even less than that, since it's the component that counts) of headwind/crosswind is still not strong enough to have the default ATC switching runways, I don't know the exact number, because crosswind is just ONE component of a formula that takes into consideration other things like runway length, the presence of an ILS, and the other available runways, that's how the default ATC works.

stro19

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 01:41:52 pm »
Ok thanks. What causes it to land on Runway 9 and take off on 27.
SaintJoe

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 01:48:01 pm »
Ok thanks. What causes it to land on Runway 9 and take off on 27.

What I've said: fact the 15s are closed. Those are the ONLY ones we changed, for the reasons I already explained.

ALL the other runways are OPEN to both takeoffs and landing so, how they are selected is completely decided by the ATC using the rule I already explained, which is a weighted formula that takes into account which is the longest runway with an ILS and the crosswind component.

stro19

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 09:24:56 pm »
What I was saying, is that its doing at the same time. Planes are taking off on 27 at the same time planes are landing on 9. But I got it.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:28:00 pm by stro19 »
SaintJoe

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 11:13:27 am »
What I was saying, is that its doing at the same time. Planes are taking off on 27 at the same time planes are landing on 9.

That's even less under our control than the already outside of our control general strategy to assign a runway.

As I've said, the ONLY "change" we made to what the default configuration, is to close the 15s for landings but, other than that, runways by default are usually all opened for both takeoffs and landings, the scenery obviously have no control if the sim decides to use them both ends of a runway at the same time.

This can POSSIBLY be caused by the usage of a 3rd party weather engine. If, for any reason, the weather change (enough for the crosswind to cause a change of active runway ) WHILE the airport is operating, AI planes already assigned to a runway won't be removed just because the active runway changed, they'll continue to land on the previously active but then, other planes being assigned *after* the sudden weather change will use the new active, so you'll see them on both ends.

Again, nothing that has anything to do with what we can control from the scenery itself.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:19:21 pm by virtuali »

stro19

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 03:37:03 pm »
Thanks
SaintJoe