Author Topic: GSX and P3D 5.3: does it work already?  (Read 9006 times)

snoopy_belgium

GSX and P3D 5.3: does it work already?
« on: December 02, 2021, 06:00:03 pm »
On my system the sim crashes when the gsx menu is called. Does anyone has the same experiences?

VNC101

Re: GSX and P3D 5.3: does it work already?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 09:24:10 pm »
The same happens with me in 5.3

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 10:13:49 pm »
GSX has never been dependent on the exact version of the sim since P3D V4 came out so, there's no reason why it wouldn't work with 5.3 and, in fact, we have been using it with it for months during the beta period.

Have you followed LM suggestion that installing P3D 5.3 requires a full install ?

https://prepar3d.com/news/announcements/2021/12/120925/

Please be aware that unlike previous version updates both content and scenery are required to be updated with version 5.3. Completely uninstalling the previous versions and running the full installer is recommended.

snoopy_belgium

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 10:30:05 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did a full install as described by LM. I also updated GSX to the latest version after the P3D upgrade.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 11:09:12 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did a full install as described by LM. I also updated GSX to the latest version after the P3D upgrade.

I'm sorry but, as I've said, no problems whatsoever with GSX, see the attached screenshot.

A crash with the Simconnect menu usually means an upgrade made without installing the Content, which usually handles the Html menu system. 

Have you previously reverted to Scaleform, as suggested here ?

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=233404#p233404

To fix problems with the Html menus ? I'm using the default, which is Html.

Jokast

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 11:13:44 pm »
Hallo
Same Here
When try to Open GSX Menue with key combination or mouse Click in Addon menue P3dv5.3 the Menue will not appear and P3d ctd

Clean install P3dv5.3
And all Updates Win 10 done
Try to reinstall gsx

Same issue
Any ideas?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 11:56:18 pm »
I think I already given all the data I have which is:

- GSX works perfectly fine with P3D 5.3, and we have been using it for months during the whole beta period, and not a single time we ever needed to change anything.

- GSX still works perfectly fine with the released 5.3, which is where I took that screenshot from, a few minutes ago.

- USUALLY, issues with menu crashes are caused by an incomplete installation.

- As explained so many times, whenever you have issues with the menu, like crashes, freezes, graphic problems, etc., it's completely useless and a waste of time reinstalling GSX or acting on it.

The menu used by GSX, which is the standard Simconnect menu used by all applications with a menu, it's NOT handled by 3rd party developers, we don't have any control how it works, how it looks, which method it uses to draw itself and how interacts with the graphic system. We JUST make a single Simconnect call (which hasn't been changed in years and doesn't require any changes ) to ask the sim to display a menu with a list of entries, and wait for the sim to get back to us with what choice the user made. We don't have any control how it works, how it handles keys or mouse, or it looks like or where it's placed or its size. It's a complete black box to us.

Each time a new P3D version comes out, it invariably has some issues with the menu, most likely due to two different ways it's being made, either in Html or Scaleform and, each time something happens with it, since GSX is a very popular program that uses that menu, users come here assuming there's something wrong with GSX, or that we can do something about it. And each time I have to explain how that menu works and how, if it doesn't work, there's nothing we can do about it and, after a while, either LM comes with a fix, or somebody finds a solution, like with 5.1, when to fix crashes with the Html menu, it was suggested to revert it back to Scaleform.

With 5.2, LM reverted to Scaleform, because it was found Html was unreliable but, with 5.3 they reverted it back to Html by default but, of course, since each system is different, depending on your configuration, your hardware, your video drivers, Scaleform might work best for you.

But please, be sure if you are having crashes of freezes in the SIMCONNECT MENU ( there's no such thing as a "GSX menu", that's the Simconnect menu ), it's nothing that can possibly have anything to do with GSX and, not even a single time, in the long history of P3D updates, we ever required to do any changes to GSX to "fix" problems with the Simconnect menu. Each time issues were found, they were always fixed by Hotfixes in the sim, because that's the only place where the menu can be fixed.

However, I must say that, in other cases, I could reproduce issues with the menu. This time, it works without any issues here so, it's clearly system-dependent but, it's sure nothing caused by GSX. The only thing I see, it's a small pause from the moment I press the GSX hotkey and the menu appears. But other than that, it never crashes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 12:16:48 am by virtuali »

hanfry

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 12:30:33 am »
Same problem here, complete re-install of prepar3Dv5.3 and problem with gsx / sode menu and then I get a CTD >:(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 01:12:38 am »
Same problem here, complete re-install of prepar3Dv5.3 and problem with gsx / sode menu and then I get a CTD >:(

I'm not sure what else I should say, other than your report of having the same problem with both GSX and SODE, only confirms it's a problem in the sim itself and they way it handles the menu, not in GSX.

Which, as I've said, I cannot reproduce here and, in the months we had of Beta testing, nobody reported a problem with the menu, and I assure you everybody used applications with a menu, like GSX, SODE or ActiveSky. There were *lots* of issues with 5.2, instead (during the 5.2 Beta), but most of them were fixed before release.

The only thing I can suggests, is the ones I already suggested: try to switch between Html and Scaleform and see if one works better than the other. Be sure you made a full reinstall of the sim and, if all else fails, report it on the LM support forum, trying to point out that every application with a menu has the same issue.

hanfry

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 01:14:14 am »
changing the HTML parameters to Scaleform as stated in the post above does not solve the problem.We have a very big problem for those of us who do not know much about computer science and programming, so we need help from you

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 02:05:02 am »
changing the HTML parameters to Scaleform as stated in the post above does not solve the problem.We have a very big problem for those of us who do not know much about computer science and programming, so we need help from you

Please don't post here about issues that do not have anything to do with GSX. The thread I already linked on the LM forum explains what to do:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=233404#p233404

If you still have issues, report them to the LM support forum. We can't possibly troubleshoot something about the inner workings (or the installation) of the sim, especially without being able to reproduce it so, it's not as if we could report it to LM.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 05:17:30 am »
 Updated to 5.3 last night and GSX is working just fine here. As suggested by LM, a full uninstall and reinstall.

snoopy_belgium

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 07:39:49 am »
Thanks to virtuali to have a look into this problem and for the others to post their experiences.

The problem has indeed nothing to do with GSX. I have also a test installation of 5.3 with no GSX installed. And in this installation P3D also hangs when the ATC window is called. So it has definitely something to do with the scaleform issue for the menu's. On the P3D forum a ticked was already opened by someone else and I will follow the solution there to get the menu's up and running again.
Just execute the Delete Generated Files script in the P3D map and the problem is solved.

Best regards,

Snoopy_belgium
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 08:03:40 am by snoopy_belgium »

wdylm

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 08:20:09 am »
hi Umberto, borrow this thread, is there still any possible for real RTT in v5? :D

hanfry

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 09:56:46 am »
Thanks to virtuali to have a look into this problem and for the others to post their experiences.

The problem has indeed nothing to do with GSX. I have also a test installation of 5.3 with no GSX installed. And in this installation P3D also hangs when the ATC window is called. So it has definitely something to do with the scaleform issue for the menu's. On the P3D forum a ticked was already opened by someone else and I will follow the solution there to get the menu's up and running again.
Just execute the Delete Generated Files script in the P3D map and the problem is solved.

Best regards,

Snoopy_belgium

Delete Generated Files it did not solve my problem