Author Topic: Live update CTD  (Read 2620 times)

falcon999

Live update CTD
« on: November 29, 2021, 06:56:14 pm »
Never had an issue with Live Update before and ran fine last week.  It starts get through one or two lines and then crashes.  Is creating Couatl_Updater2.exe file but its only 1K

Any help would be appreciated.

falcon999

Re: Live update CTD
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 08:03:32 pm »
Update: Bought a couple products from FSDT for MSFS and is working now.  Very strange behavior.  :o

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 11:20:23 pm »
Surely it wasn't the purchase the fixed the problem, but something else like a momentarily connection issues during the first time, or your antivirus killing the update, or the firewall blocking the download.

I might have gave you a more precise information if you posted the actual 1k file, rather than the screenshot. Do that if it happens again, please.

Wakner

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 01:15:10 pm »
I've also started having the same problem in the last few days after years of no issue:

When I run the Live Update it goes through the initial check OK (a second or so checking the updater or whatever it does initially) but then when it would usually move on to checking for updates of individual installed products the Updater UI just crashes and disappears.

Grateful for any advice - thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 04:49:02 pm »
- Configure the antivirus to add the whole Addon Manager folder to the antivirus Exclusions

- Be sure the firewall is not blocking the Couatl_Updater.exe

- Start again the Couatl_Updater.exe ( NOT Couatl_Updater2.exe )

Wakner

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 02:19:38 pm »
Hi Umberto

Thanks for the tips ... all of these were in place but have rechecked.

Unfortunately the updater is still not working - can I repair/reinstall the Addon Manager somehow without having to reinstall all my products?

Thanks

Ads

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 04:39:44 pm »
Unfortunately the updater is still not working - can I repair/reinstall the Addon Manager somehow without having to reinstall all my products?

Since I can only confirm the Live Update is working, the only possible explanation is:

- Your antivirus is still blocking it. Configure the antivirus to add the whole Addon Manager folder to the antivirus Exclusions

- Your firewall is blocking from downloading files. Be sure the firewall is not blocking the Couatl_Updater.exe

Try doing it after a Windows restart.

Wakner

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 06:04:01 pm »
Hi Umberto

Thanks again - have done all of these with no success.

I'm not questioning whether the live update is working server-side, just that I cannot get the Manager at my end to work (client side) ... this is strange as it has been working for the last few years several times a week.

There is obviously some other problem at my end hence (corruption, a windows update changing a setting somewhere, etc, etc) hence my question about whether I can do an update/repair of the Manager.

Thanks

Ads

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 02:01:00 pm »
The Updater is just an executable, which will always update itself, and the only thing that could prevent you to get the latest version, are the antivirus or the firewall.

However, as a standard .NET application, it might be affected by a problem with a Windows Update, like some of the system libraries not updated or missing or corrupted, which are not very easy to troubleshoot and not fixable from our side. Other than being sure your Windows is full updated, I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't start.

Again, other than the  antivirus blocking it or the firewall preventing to get the latest version, which are by far the most common cases.

alexj7

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 04:59:17 pm »
I had a similar issue with the updater. I ended up having to disable the TrendMicro security feature on my Asus Router. That solved the issue. Oddly it didn't show anything in the log.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 03:00:01 pm »
I had a similar issue with the updater. I ended up having to disable the TrendMicro security feature on my Asus Router. That solved the issue.

It's almost invariably the antivirus.

The bugged heuristic must have decided that something that is "downloading from the internet" (it's an updater, of course it's downloading from the internet... ) and it's not a know browser or any other known application, must be something suspicious.

Oddly it didn't show anything in the log.

That seems to be even a more serious bug than the erroneous threat identification. False positive happens, but the antivirus should report them.