Author Topic: FSDT Airport Files/GSX installed on different drive from P3Dv5--BIG problem  (Read 2598 times)

deadbug

I have just spent the past several days completely uninstalling my P3DV4.5 and all my addons to upgrade with a clean install of P3Dv5, then all my Orbx sceneries, FSL A319-X, 320-X/SL, and 321-X/SL...then started working on the airports.  I wanted to keep as much as possible--everything if I could, out of the sim root directory. With the exception of the two Flightbeam Airports (KSFOHD and KPHX) I  was able to keep everything out.  The frustration really started when I installed FSDT GSX, KDFW, KCLT, KLAX, PHNL and HI vol1&2...all FSDT.  Now, I did install them on a different hard drive (E:) than my P3Dv5 (C:)

I believe I followed instructions, insured I had DirectX12, antivirus off--the live updater ran perfectly.  I even ran it several times...but in P3D, the FSDT products do not show up in either the add-ons or the scenery database in P3d. 
See the attached files--the contenterrors.txt, and the two screenshots of the locations involved.  The C: folders are merly .xml placeholders I guess the Addon Manager put on the Hard Drive where the sim is located.  The E: drive location is where all the actual scenery files and GSX are actually located.

I'm sure it's something really obvious to you experts out there.  I sure hope one of you can help me--I've been in the head banging against wall mode.  Thanks in advance,
Bill

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
First question. When you uninstalled the FSDreamteam scenery and GSX, it asked you if you wanted to remove the Add-on Manager. You clicked yes?
Captain Kevin

deadbug

I'm not 100% certain, as I've uninstalled and reinstalled some and then all components a few times.  I'm pretty sure I did…

deadbug

Well, in the absence of any guidance, I just decided to just uninstall everything (Addon Manager included) and reinstall all FSDT products--starting with GSX on my C: drive and just forget any thoughts of easing my crammed C: drive.  The reinstallation on the C: Drive to the default folder worked seamlessly and P3Dv5 had all the addons showing in the sim.

I guess FSDT add-ons (probably the Addon Manager) doesn't like .xml entries outside the main Hard Drive (C).  At least that is what this fruitless exercise taught me.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Okay, just so you know, I'm an over-the-road truck driver. I only come in here when I have time, but we're able to work 14 hours a day, so this is my first time even seeing this since I last posted since I was at work the entire time, and I obviously can't check the forums when I'm at work. That said, on my laptop, I have the Add-on Manager installed on the D drive, so it definitely doesn't have anything to do with the Add-on Manager not liking XML entries outside the C drive. In your second screenshot, if you go into the FSDreamteam folders, you'd see the add-on.xml for each one. Opening those would have told you where those entries were pointing to, but it's not entirely helpful if you turn around and install everything back into the C drive.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
The Addon Manager works perfectly on any internal/external drive, regardless of where the simulator is installed.

In fact, we were the first to use the proper method of using an add-on.xml, and we are still amongst the few that use it properly, meaning not just using an add-on.xml, but having the installer supporting ANY path, instead of placing everything in the Documents folder (like some add-ons do), which makes the installer easier to create, but it's missing the point of using an add-on xml to begin with, since while it surely allows you to install outside the sim, it still restrict you to install into your main Documents folder, not any drive.

Our installers, instead, properly allow you to install *everywhere*, putting ONLY the add-on.xml itself ( NOT the files ) in the Documents folder, which is the only way to give you complete flexibility.

The problem you are having, it's likely because you first installed something from FSDT in a place, then you changed your mind and wanted to "move" on another drive. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, meaning you know how to manually edit ALL the add-on.xml files to use the new paths AND you know to edit the registry, it's best to use the following procedure, which is the ONLY one that is guaranteed to work, and won't require any manual editing.

- Uninstall all your FSDT products.

- Reply YES to the question "Do you want to Remove the Addon Manager ?" THIS is the MOST important step!!

- Repeat for each and every FSDT product you installed.

- Reinstall the first product. It can be any one, starting with GSX is just fine. You'll notice THIS time, the installer will ALLOW you to choose any folder you like, on any drive. This is possible ONLY because your replied YES to the Addon Manager question before which resulted in clearing a registry key that will "forget" the old installation path.

- Assuming you want to install in E:, then just choose E:, the installer will install into E:\Addon Manager, which is a perfectly sensible choice.

- Now install all the other products. You'll notice that, from the 2nd installation, you won't be allowed to choose the destination freely, because you decided it with the first install.

This method works, and it's the only way to prevent users from mistakenly install, let's say, GSX in one place, and KLAX in another. While we give you 100% freedom on where to install FSDT, ALL products are designed to STAY TOGETHER, that's why you are free to choose the location only after the first install.

All subsequent installers will read that location, and will create correct add-on.xml files.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 09:54:49 am by virtuali »

deadbug

Capt Kevin--God Bless over-the-road truckers!!!  I apologize if you assumed I was directing my frustration at your reply...no, I wasn't; just very frustrated at that moment. Due to our time zone difference, I had made the initial post around midnight here after an exhausting 16 solid hours working on my son's computer/sim upgrade (he is mentally handicapped).  The upgrade work is a part of his Christmas, and I had "miles to go before I sleep" at the time ;).  When I got up in the morning I saw your reply and was waiting for other experienced users to chime in--all day (my time) there was nothing.  So that was where I was at when I made the final post.

With that said, I am very computer literate, however it has been almost 3 years since I've done any extensive flight sim reprograming and updating--and had not only to remember all the stuff I used to know and forgot but also learn all of the stuff that had changed--I didn't want to be "one of those" forum members who didn't research before posting, so it was back and forth forum to forum searching, reading, etc--then trying things--rinse and repeat.  FSDT was installed previously on the C: system drive with our initial P3D through 4.5 installations.
With what you and Umberto have said with your experience--it is obvious that I left some remnant of FSDT somewhere on my C: drive even though I did clean uninstalls including Addon Manager.  I had even went back through all folders searching for remnants and deleted them after each uninstall--but evidently missed something.  Yep, I have edited .xml and registry files...but at that point my brain was fried and I didn't want to make things worse.

So, I stand corrected.  If I ever have to do this again, I will install back on my E: drive.  Thank you!

deadbug

The Addon Manager works perfectly on any internal/external drive, regardless of where the simulator is installed. ....

Umberto, thank you so much for your detailed reply, I only wish I could've seen it earlier.  As I mentioned in my post to Capt Kevin directly above...I stand corrected.  There was obviously some remnant of FSDT somewhere on that system drive, even though I uninstalled every component and its addon manager before the reinstall (many times) with a pretty anal (but not anal enough) cleanup.

You do fantastic work--thank you for your products and being here for us.