Author Topic: FlightZone1 Scenery  (Read 12943 times)

SirIsaac726

Re: FlightZone1 Scenery
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 11:34:32 pm »

Do you mind telling me what the point is then, instead of just leaving it like that. :P

Ask yourself the same question....
[/quote]

Do you have to be a punk?

Seriously, I was just trying to figure out what your main point was if you say what I was hitting at wasn't the point.

I don't see the problem with my posts.  I think my point is quite clear.  Is it not?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:52:26 pm by SirIsaac726 »

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 12:56:36 am »
Unless I missed it as well, I believe the point being made is the fact that Flightscenery is out of business, but still making money off their product.  May not be uncommon in this hobby, but it is rather unethical, IMO.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

SirIsaac726

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 01:44:57 am »
Unless I missed it as well, I believe the point being made is the fact that Flightscenery is out of business, but still making money off their product.  May not be uncommon in this hobby, but it is rather unethical, IMO.

What do you mean by out of business though?  If they still sell on SimMarket then I'd argue they aren't out of business.  There are many sellers on SimMarket that are selling and don't have a website or dedicated support for the people that buy their products.  Again, in those cases, if you have problems, you just have to go to SimMarket rather than the actual developer...much like if you bought a new computer at BestBuy and had problems, you'll most likely go to BestBuy, not the computer builder.

Russ

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 04:49:58 am »
What do you mean by out of business though?

Just a guess here as I don't wish to speak for Bruce, but I think what he is suggesting is that there is more "to being in business" than simply collecting money and providing a product. When one purchases an addon isn't it implied that support comes with it? Certainly the team here at FSDT spend considerable time and resources supporting their products. You'll note, Issac, that  Simmarket clearly states support comes from "Support Forum."  That is sometimes true and sometimes not. Many request are left unanswered on that forum. None are answered by Vauchez, but rather by forum members. I agree this comes pretty close to being unethical if not already there. A simple statement stating the developer no longer supports the product and displayed prominently on the Simmarket purchase page would be much better.

I agree Vauchez's business practices are dicey at best. But, that being said I still purchased both of KPDX and KPVD after he had departed and I'm glad to have them. Luckily for me, the little bit of support I needed was provided by one of the forum members. Others aren't so fortunate.

SirIsaac726

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 07:07:05 am »
What do you mean by out of business though?

Just a guess here as I don't wish to speak for Bruce, but I think what he is suggesting is that there is more "to being in business" than simply collecting money and providing a product. When one purchases an addon isn't it implied that support comes with it? Certainly the team here at FSDT spend considerable time and resources supporting their products. You'll note, Issac, that  Simmarket clearly states support comes from "Support Forum."  That is sometimes true and sometimes not. Many request are left unanswered on that forum. None are answered by Vauchez, but rather by forum members. I agree this comes pretty close to being unethical if not already there. A simple statement stating the developer no longer supports the product and displayed prominently on the Simmarket purchase page would be much better.

I agree Vauchez's business practices are dicey at best. But, that being said I still purchased both of KPDX and KPVD after he had departed and I'm glad to have them. Luckily for me, the little bit of support I needed was provided by one of the forum members. Others aren't so fortunate.

When you purchase something, support is never implied.  Support is only guaranteed when it specifically says you have the option of support.  Of course, if you have a broken product or have troubles using the product, then you should have no problem getting your money back.

In the case of SimMarket, they state that support comes from the developers themselves (email, support forum, etc.).  The FlightScenery product pages display that as the FlightScenery 'Support Forum', which is no longer an active link.  I'd agree here, that the 'Support Forum' link shouldn't be displayed and that is where Vauchez is wrong.  And sure, a nice message on the site/forum/purchase page/etc. would be nice.  All I'm trying to say is it isn't required.  However, in a case where you cannot get support from the developer, you have every right to go to SimMarket and demand some help or a refund if you are having problems.  Due to the fact that you purchased from them and nowhere do they state 'All Sales are Final', you can go to them.

And yes, the FSDT spends a great deal of time providing excellent, top-notch support.  That is a sign of a great business that wants to help its customers which in turn is great business for them.

Russ

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 04:47:01 pm »
Isaac,

Not anything to argue over but just a couple of points...

Simmarket does indeed have a little box that the purchaser must check to acknowledge all sales are final before any purchase will be processed. They also clearly say (in the case of FlightScenery 1 and 2) that support is provided through the FlightScenery support forum. Again, pretty cheeky in my view. I'm old school so I think there should be something to warn the customer that "you're buying as is with no support." If you don't agree no worries...good and reasonable people disagree all the time...

Irregardless, the scenery is very good and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it though I would put up the warning sign...

All the best,
-Russ

SirIsaac726

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 06:55:10 pm »
Hey Russ,

I wasn't aware of the checkbox.  I honestly don't remember that when I've purchased from there.  But then again, I haven't purchased from them in some time.  If that is the case and the developer doesn't provide the support SimMarket directs you to, then you have every right to complain to them and request assistance.  Additionally, I have dealt with SimMarket customer support before and they were always very accommodating.  Obviously, that isn't what we are differing on but just something I thought I would mention, nonetheless.

And I wholy agree with you.  SimMarket or Vauchez needs to update their
page because the support forum isn't even an active page anymore.  I don't know who is
responsible for changing that listig but it needs to be brought to their attention.  And if SimMarket demands he seller provide some form of customer support, then they should get a support email from Vauchez or pull th product from their site.

So I think we agree on more than we think we do.  The point I was trying to make is that a seller should never assume support will be given unless it is stated.