Author Topic: Impossible to install GSX  (Read 1973 times)

Pantu

Impossible to install GSX
« on: November 22, 2021, 06:28:06 pm »
Hi Umberto and fellow simmers,

read the forum back and forth but could not find a proper solution for my problem. Here´s what happens: Bought GSX just recently and started a few attempts to install it on my P3Dv5.2 PC using the latest installer for 64bits from FSDT´s website
To no avail I was able to finish the installation successfully, because, when the installer has finished extracting file 5, a message pops up requesting  file No. 6, which, of course does not exist.

There is  only 5 parts (each about 438Mb and in total 2,19Gb) which are downloaded into my Documents folder during the installation process.
(5 x 450Mb = 2,19Gb  hence there can´t be more files)

What am I doing wrong???

I sincerely hope someone can point me to a successful solution.
Thanks a lot in advance for your input.

Best regards

Pantu

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: Impossible to install GSX
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 08:39:46 pm »
Posting in two different places isn't going to make support go any faster. If anything, it would make it go slower since everyone now has to check two different places.
Captain Kevin

Pantu

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 09:58:27 pm »
Thanks Captain WILCO.
Sorry for being unpatient :'(
Problem eventually solved using another PC to download the installation files (another 3hours for 2,2Gb was definitely not fast). The missing No 6 is a tiny chunk of just 15Mb.
Tbh never before came across an installer where it needed numerous attempts and different PCs to eventually get all program chunks needed for installation. Direct download links would definitely make things easier.  Not to mention the rather slow download speed and its definitely not my ISP.
That`s just the 2 ct of my first contact with GSX.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 10:37:45 pm »
That's highly unusual. I can't say I've ever had this issue before, nor have I reached the point where I needed another computer to download it.
Captain Kevin

Pantu

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 10:37:44 am »
Yes, Captain Kevin

that comment is what everyone out there is waiting for to solve a problem.
Your comments are of such invaluable great help!!!!
Tu

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 10:45:25 am »
That`s just the 2 ct of my first contact with GSX.

Checking the orders, it shows you bought GSX in July from Simmarket.

If you downloaded it back then, when it was made in 5 parts, your browser must have cached this information so, when you redownloaded the latest small installer, which expectes 6 parts, they weren't downloaded. That's why it was fixed by moving to a PC you never downloaded GSX from.

Tbh never before came across an installer where it needed numerous attempts and different PCs to eventually get all program chunks needed for installation

Very common method instead. If you had connection errors on a single 2GB file, and it needed to restart the download, it would be obviously much worse than being split in separate parts. Fact you never come across this very common method, doesn't mean it's not common. Autodesk use it for all its software. Adobe dit that too, before they switched to a full cloud installer.

Not to mention the rather slow download speed and its definitely not my ISP.

There are no problems whatsoever with slow downloads. It's not possible to get slow downloads from us because:

- the files are original hosted on two servers, one Amazon S3 another one on another ISP in the US. But you are not usually downloading from here.

- the files are further cached on the bit Cloudflare network, which is made of 260+ nodes around the world, each one having a copy of the files, so you are really downloading from your local Cloudflare node, which is even faster than if you were downloading directly from Amazon, since your local node is surely closer to you than the main S3 servers.

If you said your first download was slow, but the 2nd one was faster, I might have guess you were the *first* user of your local Cloudflare node that was downloading that file so, you were downloading from Amazon or from our other server but, since you said the 2nd download was slow too, that's not the case, since the 2nd download would happen from the Cloudflare cache (you trigged a fill up of the cache from your 1st download), it should always be very fast.

Note that, with "slow" download, I don't really mean "slow" but, instead, "slower than they could be" so, for example, if I download directly, I have about 5-10MB/s from Amazon or our server, but when I download from Cloudflare, I get about 50-60MB/s, over a theoretical maximum of 100MB/s my 1Gbit/s connection can do. This means, instead of about 5 minutes from the "slow" connection, I can download GSX in 1 minute. That what "slow" means for me.

So, your slow and unheard of time of 2.2 hours, it's not related to our servers so, either it's your ISP OR a problem happened with your local Cloudflare node OR something like a firewall on your system blocking our installer for some reason.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 12:55:09 pm »
Yes, Captain Kevin

that comment is what everyone out there is waiting for to solve a problem.
Your comments are of such invaluable great help!!!!
I do my best to help people out when I can, but I'm just a regular customer like you, so I have no explanation as to why you have the issue that you did. Umberto has a far better explanation for you as to why you had the issue that you did, but he also has access to your order information.
Captain Kevin

Pantu

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 03:18:00 pm »
Hi Umberto,

thanks a lot for your comments.

A few things I´d like to clarify though:

1.) Before I started installing GSX first time (2days ago) I checked with your website and forum to not overlook any hints helpful for a flawless installation. Hence I did not use the installer I downloaded upon purchase but instead downloaded the very latest installer from your website and started the installation. No caching involved. (BTW someone complained in this forum already a year or so ago about exactly the same queries I faced).

2.) I definitely appreciate the fact that the installation (2,2Gb) is split into several smaller chunks. BUT as long as one has no choice to download only the chunk one needs, the installer makes it still appearing as one big file, regardless of how many chunks the installation file consists of and that means in my case waiting, praying, waiting, praying....for hours.

3.) I´m sorry to say that Inet download speeds of 50 - 60 MB/s I can only dream of. My theoretical max. downstream is at 6MB/sec. (I´m living in the middle of Europe >:( )

To make things short I propose just 1 thing:

Publish the download links of the installation files (chunks) and make downloads resumable.

Thank you