Author Topic: P3d v4.5 HF3 - Missing GSX entry in Add.ons menu  (Read 2447 times)

alleusai

P3d v4.5 HF3 - Missing GSX entry in Add.ons menu
« on: November 18, 2021, 02:53:13 pm »
Hi ,
I have seen several posts about this problem but I can't find one that solves it (may be it's my fault).
Immediately after installing GSX + GSX lev2 the GSX entries were present in the P3D Add-ons menu. After running FSDT Live Update, the entries no longer appear and the Airport cache rebuild message no longer appears.
I use Microsoft Defender as antivirus and my exclusion list also includes the following folders:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager,
C:\ProgramData\Virtual,
C:\Users\Alessandro\ ppData\Roaming\Virtual,
C :\Users\Alessandro\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons.
P3D is installed on drive E and is also on the list of exclusions.
I kindly ask for help in solving the problem and I am available to provide other information that may be useful to you (for example log files).
The configuration screens are attached. OS is Windows10 Home build 19043.
Thanks in advance,
Alessandro

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3d v4.5 HF3 - Missing GSX entry in Add.ons menu
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 08:43:37 am »
You are not missing the GSX entries, you are missing all the Couatl entries too, meaning it's not an issue with the GSX cache regeneration but, instead, it's Couatl not starting.

Assuming you really excluded all those folders ( there are several typing errors in your post, which I assume are just typing errors on the post ), this should happen but, try after a Windows restart.

alleusai

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 10:31:50 am »
Hi Umberto,
this is the complete list of exclusions I set (sorry for previous typos):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager
C:\Program Files\HiFi
C:\Program Files\SPAD.neXt
C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin
C:\ProgramData\Virtuali
C:\Users\Alessandro\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin
C:\Users\Alessandro\AppData\Local\Programs\orbx-central
C:\Users\Alessandro\AppData\Roaming\Hifi
C:\Users\Alessandro\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin
C:\Users\Alessandro\AppData\Roaming\SPAD.neXt
C:\Users\Alessandro\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali
C:\Users\Alessandro\Documents\Envtex
C:\Users\Alessandro\Documents\Lorby-SI P3D AddonOrganizer
C:\Users\Alessandro\Documents\Maddog X Files
C:\Users\Alessandro\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons
C:\Users\Alessandro\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files
C:\Users\Alessandro\Documents\REX 5
C:\Users\Alessandro\Documents\SPAD.neXt
D:\ORBX
D:\orbx_Central_Backup
E:\

So when I need to do a Windows restart: after adding exclusions, after every FSDT Live Update, when there are no GSX/Couatl entry in P3D Add-ons menu?
Or can I check something else?

Thanks,
Alessandro

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 12:48:38 pm »
So when I need to do a Windows restart: after adding exclusions, after every FSDT Live Update, when there are no GSX/Couatl entry in P3D Add-ons menu?

Just try what it works for you.

- Sometimes a restart is required because one of your VC++ runtimes needed an updated that cannot be completed without a restart

- Sometimes a restart is required because you restarted the sim too quickly after completing a session, so the executables couldn't all complete their closure, so a copy of Couatl still running from the previous session might prevent a new one to start, and a restart will surely fix that ( although if you use the Task manager to check that and terminate it, it will work the same )

- Sometimes a restart is required because one of your add-ons has mistakenly set a wrong compatibility mode for P3D, which our update fixed. Yes, there are some compatibility flag sets in the registry you can't see in the "compatibility" tab, and some of them require a windows restart

- Sometimes a restart is required because WINDOWS itself tried to "help you" because your sim crashed for any reason ( totally unrelated to our software ), and set those compatibility flags because it tought they were required, but they aren't.

If you restart Windows and run the FSDT Live Update, does the program starts, AT LEAST ONCE ?

alleusai

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 01:46:43 pm »
Thanks Umberto,
I made following tests just now:
- Fresh Windows start then P3D start: Couatl/GSX entries are present;
- Shutdown P3D, wait a couple of minutes looking at Task Manager for no related apps run. Then Start P3D: Couatl/GSX entries are present;
- Shutdown P3D and wait again for a couple of minutes. Run FSDT Live Update: no updates done (please see attachment because I never see the update window with no activities logged);
- Shutdown FSDT Live Update then start P3D after one minute: Couatl/GSX entries are present.
So, at the moment, all seems to work except (may be) FSDT Live Update... is this a normal behaviour or may I check something else?

Thanks again,
Alessandro

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 05:02:52 pm »
Try it again, we had an update today so, possibly, your local cloudflare node stil hasn't got the latest files (which include a new updater too)

alleusai

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 12:13:02 pm »
Hi Umberto,
sadly the latest update did not improve things and even after several Windows restarts GSX/Couatl entries are not present in the P3D Add-ons menu.
I looked at the Task Manager and saw that the couatl64_P3D.exe program is active when P3D starts up then, once the scenario is started, it opens again (so there are two couatl64_P3D.exe running at the same time) and then they both close immediately.
I hope this information will be useful.

Greetings,
Alessandro

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 10:55:35 am »
I looked at the Task Manager and saw that the couatl64_P3D.exe program is active when P3D starts up then, once the scenario is started, it opens again (so there are two couatl64_P3D.exe running at the same time)

That's clearly your problem and of course it cannot normally happen. It seems you have mixed up two installations, or you must used some kidn of external manager of add-ons that has enabled two copies of the addon by mistake.

Try this:

- UNINSTALL GSX and (IMPORTANT) reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?"

. Remove the following files:

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\add-ons.cfg
%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\add-ons.cfg

- DO NOT start the sim, and REINSTALL GSX

- Now you can start the sim and, you should see a request to enable all your other add-ons again on the next start up, which is normal, so you just reply yes, so it will re-enable all the add-ons that have an add-on.xml in the Documents Prepar3D v5 Addons folder.

alleusai

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 11:47:59 am »
. Remove the following files:

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\add-ons.cfg
%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\add-ons.cfg
Hi Umberto,
as I'm using P3D V4 I'll remove two .cfg files from the correct folders.

Will report any news.

Thanks,
Alessandro