Author Topic: P3Dv5  (Read 1022 times)

Budlake

P3Dv5
« on: December 21, 2023, 09:22:02 am »
I am very disappointed that you do not cater for P3Dv5  :(
You can discount 100%, and I will still not buy a product unless it is specifically designed for P3Dv5.

Mike

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3Dv5
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 10:11:30 am »
You can discount 100%, and I will still not buy a product unless it is specifically designed for P3Dv5.

What exactly is a product "specifically designed for P3D V5?". Under the general FSX/P3D family of product we made, there several differences:

- Products that were made primarily for FSX, which work in P3DV5 using the backward compatibility, and might have minor issues. These are CLEARLY listed in the FSX product page, with a warning about using them in P3D V5.

- Products that were made for both FSX and P3D, which have been well tested in P3D, and have some differences in the installed files, to handle the differences between FSX and P3D.

In this category, you'll find airports like CYVR, KSDF and KCLT and, while it might "look" they are derived from FSX, just because the installer it's the same, they show different objects at runtime, drawing native P3D objects for the things that matters most (usually ground textures), but it might not be very obvious, because our custom software checks the simulator version and displays different objects depending on the simulator in use.

- Products that have two separate installers for FSX and P3D, because the differences are extensive, the most striking example is GSX and GSX L2, which have two completely different sets of objects between FSX and P3D (Legacy rendering or PBR)

- Products that DON'T HAVE AN FSX version, so they are truly "P3D-native". KORD V2 and LFSB are like that, made from scratch for P3D and NOT a conversion or a port from FSX.

Budlake

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 11:12:33 am »
A P3Dv5 product is a product that is designed to work on the P3Dv5 platform.
As you should be aware, FSX and P3D (1-3) products being 32 bit are not fully compatible. As such, I doubt FSDT would provide support for them.
FSDreamTeam's list of products is almost exclusively for MS2020 and X-Plane. There is, therefore, very little for me to choose from.

Mike

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 02:43:29 am »
A P3Dv5 product is a product that is designed to work on the P3Dv5 platform.

Which means, under your own definition, of the 4 different categories I listed, all except the 1st one, which "works" but with some minor issues (so I excluded it because they might not be "minor" to you), because ALL of them as been designed to WORK with P3D.

As you should be aware, FSX and P3D (1-3) products being 32 bit are not fully compatible.

Being 32 bit or 64 bit only matters to the auxiliary SOFTWARE, and our software installs different versions, all NATIVE to the required platform so, we have a 32 bit version for FSX and P3D up to 3.0, a 64 bit version for P3D V4, a 64 bit version for P3D V5 and V6, and a 64 bit version for MSFS.

And the software, other than being different and NATIVE to each simulator, is what also creates different objects depending on the version they are running under, without having to distribute different installers so, even if you might be misled thinking that something like KCLT or CYVR, are "made for FSX", because you don't see a "P3D5 installer", that's just due to the efficiency of our software, which at runtime can decide which DIFFERENT objects and textures to use, without having to deal with different installer.

FSDreamTeam's list of products is almost exclusively for MS2020 and X-Plane. There is, therefore, very little for me to choose from.

That's just not true, we still have more products for P3D than for MSFS right now, even excluding the ones belonging to the first category.