Author Topic: JFK runway draw distance  (Read 6561 times)

Rehnn

JFK runway draw distance
« on: June 12, 2021, 01:51:13 pm »
Is there a way to improve/increase the distance at which the runways are drawn. The runways always seem to be drawn at the last minute. E.g. the screen shot below is taken about 400 feet AGL (200 feet above DH). The terminal buildings have all been drawn, but it looks liek the runway textures haven't yet been drawn.

This is the only FSDT airport I use in FSX. Other airports in FSX don't suffer from this problem.

-Ben
No charge is made for any work herein distributed, however donations are always welcome.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: JFK runway draw distance
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 09:24:50 am »
The problem is caused by your very bad video card graphic settings and doesn't have anything to do with the airport, since you can clearly see a very low quality in the surrounding textures that are not part of the airport.

The problem is more visible if the airport uses custom runway textures, that's why you think it doesn't happen in other sceneries, since many of them use default textures.

To improve the texture quality, do all the following:

- Be sure you set the Max Texture size slider to the highest level. In FSX:Steam this is enough. In FSX SP2, you must use the Addon Manager menu to set the texture resolution to 2k or 4k, because the UI in non-Steam FSX doesn't go higher than 1k, even if the sim supports it internally.

- Be sure you use Anisotropic filtering in the FSX graphic settings.

- Configure settings on you video card to enhance/override application settings for Anisotropic filter, and use 8x or 16x.

Rehnn

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 12:59:30 pm »
Thanks for the help.

I only use FSX:SE for Concorde (everything else I do is in P3D), so it may be that my settings aren't correct. I'll try what you suggest.
-Ben
No charge is made for any work herein distributed, however donations are always welcome.

Rehnn

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 11:52:49 am »
TLDR; Fixed

Just to follow up on this:

To improve the texture quality, do all the following:

- Be sure you set the Max Texture size slider to the highest level. In FSX:Steam this is enough.

I already had that setting set in FSX:SE

- Be sure you use Anisotropic filtering in the FSX graphic settings.

- Configure settings on you video card to enhance/override application settings for Anisotropic filter, and use 8x or 16x.

I wasn't using Anisotropic filtering in FSX:SE. After a few weeks on holiday I made another flight into JFK yesterday - that seemed to have sorted the issue.

Thanks for your help.
-Ben