Author Topic: GSX logos and VRAM  (Read 2377 times)

disco79stu

GSX logos and VRAM
« on: September 16, 2021, 11:05:37 pm »
Just a quick question, could - in theory - the re-introduction of the vehicle logos be the cause for a significantly higher VRAM usage?
I get dedicated memory errors when calling GSX where I didn't have them before (just some airports).

BR

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX logos and VRAM
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 09:00:45 am »
Nothing is "free" in this world, every added feature will have some cost in memory or fps, and VRAM in V5 is precious but, we promised to deliver multi-liveries in V5 a while ago, so it had to be done.

So, it's not that VRAM has really "increased", it just went back to what it always was with P3D4 (or even FSX), which always had multi-liveries. Probably even less than P3D4, because other VRAM-consuming things like Jetway numbers or custom textures are still not supported.

And, it depends on how the GSX profile for an airport is made. If you set up a different handler, a different catering logo and a different jetway logo and a different jetway model for EACH gate, and the airport has many of them, it will of course take more VRAM that having less different textures and/or jetway models loaded at the same time.

But again, that would have been exactly the same in P3D V4, the only difference is that with DirectX 12 and V5, VRAM handling is more in the hands of the application instead of Direct X+video drivers, which means users should be more careful with their settings.

If you create a custom GSX profile for an airport to use default handlers everywhere and disable all jetway logos, it will take about the same amount of VRAM as before the update.

disco79stu

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 11:22:01 pm »
Well, be that as it may, I'm now running out of VRAM constantly at different airports as soon as the passengers arrive. I never had this issue before. I can observe the VRAM at a comfortable 5.2/6.9 while at the gate, but when I call for boarding and the bus arrives, the 5.2 just start going up until it bursts within 1 minute. Is't just strange that this suddenly happens.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 10:05:21 am »
Is't just strange that this suddenly happens.

Why you think it's "strange", considering all my previous explanation ?

And, I wouldn't call 6.9 GB "comfortable", not without knowing anything about your system.

Assuming your card has 8GB of VRAM, 6.9 already taken even before GSX starts is not comfortable at all, it's already very close to exhaustion because, P3D will never try to use it entirely, but more like 80% so, with about 7GB used out if 8GB in total even *before* using GSX, it's not strange at all the increase might just be enough to tip from running "comfortably", to crashing.

As explained several times, the method we use with GSX multi-liveries doesn't use ANY of our "code", like it was in P3D V4. We just have extra liveries available, like any other product ( an AI collection, for example ), so any kind of texture and VRAM allocation/recovery is handled entirely by the simulator itself, there's nothing we can control or change, the only one in control is you, by tuning down your settings. Try with "Dynamic texture streaming" ON or OFF, see if there's any difference.

panzer2181

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 12:57:06 am »
Is't just strange that this suddenly happens.

Why you think it's "strange", considering all my previous explanation ?

And, I wouldn't call 6.9 GB "comfortable", not without knowing anything about your system.

Assuming your card has 8GB of VRAM, 6.9 already taken even before GSX starts is not comfortable at all, it's already very close to exhaustion because, P3D will never try to use it entirely, but more like 80% so, with about 7GB used out if 8GB in total even *before* using GSX, it's not strange at all the increase might just be enough to tip from running "comfortably", to crashing.

As explained several times, the method we use with GSX multi-liveries doesn't use ANY of our "code", like it was in P3D V4. We just have extra liveries available, like any other product ( an AI collection, for example ), so any kind of texture and VRAM allocation/recovery is handled entirely by the simulator itself, there's nothing we can control or change, the only one in control is you, by tuning down your settings. Try with "Dynamic texture streaming" ON or OFF, see if there's any difference.

Interesting idea on the Dynamic Texture Streaming option... How much VRAM would we expect to see being saved?  I was recently at EKCH, with VRAM being at 5.6gb out of 6.7, and with GSX active, it jumped to 6.2 - 6.3.  When the passengers started boarding, it was the coup de grace, a nice out of memory...  Do you believe that option would give enough breathing space?  I tested a few scenarios with GSX at EKCH, and if I do not properly go through the boarding animations (just use GSX for pushback), I was able to stabilize VRAM usage at 6.3.  I am fully aware at that level, its playing with fire... 

Just curious to know Umberto if you and your team ever saw gains that could be worth it in VRAM heavy areas.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 01:09:29 pm »
I'd say, if you have an 8GB card, Dynamic Texture Streaming should probably always be enabled. With more ( from 10 to 12 ), it probably depends a lot on your add-ons and how much spare you start with. With 16GB of more, it should probably stay off.

If you are on the borderline, and get OOMs only with the passengers, you'll probably want to turn down their Density in the GSX Settings, because it affects how many of them are visible at the same time = VRAM usage.

panzer2181

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 04:44:46 pm »
I'd say, if you have an 8GB card, Dynamic Texture Streaming should probably always be enabled. With more ( from 10 to 12 ), it probably depends a lot on your add-ons and how much spare you start with. With 16GB of more, it should probably stay off.

If you are on the borderline, and get OOMs only with the passengers, you'll probably want to turn down their Density in the GSX Settings, because it affects how many of them are visible at the same time = VRAM usage.

Good to know, thanks!

panzer2181

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 04:38:48 am »
In case anyone is curious... Bringing the Texture Resolution from Ultra (4096 x 4096) to High (2048 x 2048), made a HUGE difference in VRAM consumption - probably the biggest gain I have seen in tweaks.  I have at least 1 gig of VRAM to spare now even in the busiest of airports with graphic demanding aircrafts like QW and PMDG.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 08:14:42 am »
In case anyone is curious... Bringing the Texture Resolution from Ultra (4096 x 4096) to High (2048 x 2048), made a HUGE difference in VRAM consumption - probably the biggest gain I have seen in tweaks. 

Of course. Going from 4K to 2K is 4x time less texture memory usage.